Reload this Page >

Six Feet Under - 3/16/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under - 3/16/03

Old 03-16-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Six Feet Under - 3/16/03

REALLY enjoyed tonight's episode. Best one so far this season IMO. Third week in a row however that the show clocked in around 50 minutes. That's a little annoying. Again, I'm just being stingy cuz I want more. A few observations and questions. First, glad Claire decided to confront her latest "boyfriend". Her character is really growing on this show. Also glad Lisa told her boss off. Although I'm going to miss Catherine O'Hara. If she is indeed gone from the show. Where is this relationship going with Ruth and Kathy Bates? When she was asking who should ask who out.....is this going where I think it is? That would be, uh, something I never expected. The shopping spree was hilarious. Keith and David kind of annoyed me when they were in the room singing. Sure, they were having fun. But it seemed to go on longer than it should have. Nate's little "pit stop" driving home was also interesting. And last, the funeral for the girl was pretty touching. Her friend that spoke, the mother (?) crying.

I want Kathy Bates to stay on the show forever. She is great!

And oh yeah, that new HBO series looks REALLY good ("Carnivale"). Like David Lynch meets SFU. Can't wait.
Old 03-17-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rico is really getting on my nerves. He obviously got in over his head when he was made partner.

Nates "pitstop" was inevitable imo. Looks like Brendas on her way back.

Claire is so messed up, but I like how they are shaping her character. The art teacher must be next.

The whole time they were showing the Ruth/Kathy Bates bit, I kept wondering something. Who was watching Ruths sister?

Keith & David get along one minute, and are at each others throats the next. Who knows where that is going to end up.

All in all a very entertaining episode.
Old 03-17-03, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure what to make of the episode, but there was definitely a lot to make note of (though how this play in the overall season, still not too sure):

1. Ruth's burgeoning lesbian affair with a shoplifter.

2. Claire finally kicking the crematory dude to the curb.

3. Claire finding her artistic voice in school. Liked the new instructor's point of view.

4. Nate pulling over to pull on himself. Things are not as happy as he wants them to be.

5. Lisa finally growing a spine, although at the detriment of her family's living situation. Nate was not a happy guy at that development either. Something's gotta give.

6. Ruth is still terrified of Lisa's wrath over handling her grandchild.

7. David's insecurities of his homosexuality being on display is still a problem for him. He and Keith still fight over small things, but get along in other moments.

8. Rico doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body.
Old 03-17-03, 07:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Solid episode last night. I'm still bothered by the 50 minute running times though.
Old 03-17-03, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't most episodes usually somewhere between 45-55 minutes long?

They don't seem short to me. I'm glad they don't run too long or else the Tivo won't catch it all.
Old 03-17-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia
Aren't most episodes usually somewhere between 45-55 minutes long?

They don't seem short to me. I'm glad they don't run too long or else the Tivo won't catch it all.
It's been my experience that the episodes the first two seasons clocked in right around an hour each. I know this because I have Tivo too and sometimes the previews for the following week would get cut off. For the record, I don't think a single episode for "Six Feet Under" has been 45 minutes. Now "The Sopranos" maybe.............
Old 03-17-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope that the opening death of next week's show is of Catherine O' Hara's character. Can't stand that biotch.
Old 03-17-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sherm42
I hope that the opening death of next week's show is of Catherine O' Hara's character. Can't stand that biotch.
Wow, that's a pretty good idea. Hope this happens. Yeah, she's not the most sympathetic character.
Old 03-17-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be the naysayer then.

After that stunner of an third season opener, boldly playing with fractured dream / alternate realities, I've felt these last two episodes of "6FU" have sunk to the level of dreary soapy dreck.

Nate's conflicted "free spirit" status has been subverted to the point where he's a complete wet noodle - both in his shotgun marriage and his unwanted accidental profession.

David - who used to be one of the most well-rounded and "true to life" gay characters written for television - now seems to have shifted into "Will & Grace" territory. (The "so-stereotypical-it-borders-on-offensive" gay chorus subplot, with the character constantly singing showtunes - badly - might as well be an outtake from the dreadful and super-shallow "Queer as Folk.")

There's been almost zero "character" development for Claire this whole season, as we see a repeat of her last two relationships with "bad boys." The moment that dark-haired "intense" art teacher walked by the classroom, it was too obvious the two would be sexually linked.

And where you people are getting the "lesbianic" signals in the burgeoning friendship between Ruth and Bettina is utterly lost on me. To go in that particular direction would be predictable and dull - something that "6FU" has skillfully avoided these past two seasons.

But then, maybe that's the point. All of the writing for these past two episodes has been leading the cast down very familiar pathways - especially for anyone versed in the history of television drama. I'm hoping that maybe the whole "Nate's still in the coma" theory about this season is, in fact, true. I'm hoping that with the return of Brenda, we start returning to the subversion of soap opera cliche that was a hallmark of this series for the first two seasons.

Otherwise "6FU" could very well turn into just another television series. And we'll get all those tiresome complaints - like what happened with "The Sopranos" - from people who didn't understand (or who didn't take the time to understand) what all the fuss was about.
Old 03-17-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the whole "who should call whom?" conversation between Ruth, Claire, and the cremetory dude is, to me, signs of Ruth wanting to be in a relationship with Bettina, and not just for girl talk. So that's where I get the lesbian vibe from.
Old 03-17-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
And where you people are getting the "lesbianic" signals in the burgeoning friendship between Ruth and Bettina is utterly lost on me. To go in that particular direction would be predictable and dull - something that "6FU" has skillfully avoided these past two seasons.

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I can tell you where *I* got a signal. How many people do you know ask, or care, about the proper etiquette for calling someone to do something? A platonic friend that is. In Ruth's case, it certainly sounded like a school girl crush. If this is indeed not going down that path, then they certainly tossed us a curve ball.

And you couldn't have described Showtimes "Queer as Folk" any better. That is, without a doubt, THE biggest piece of sh*t I've ever seen on television. I had a Showtime free preview weekend recently and the misfortune of catching a few minutes of that while channel surfing. Unbelievably horrible. Why is that show on?
Old 03-17-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Daytripper <HR SIZE=1>Why is that show on? <HR SIZE=1>

Forgive my presumption, but I would guess it's because many gay people watch it out of some warped sense of duty (probably the same reason I watch Enterprise). There aren't many gay characters on television that aren't cartoons, so when a show comes along that's aimed squarely at that audience, they're going to watch, even if it's not particularly good. I'm of the belief that shows like this do more harm than good since they're just exploiting the situation, but in all fairness to those who watch, there are hardly any realistic gay characters in the television landscape, and that has to be frustrating.

das
Old 03-17-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth Daytripper <HR SIZE=1>Why is that show on? <HR SIZE=1>

Forgive my presumption, but I would guess it's because many gay people watch it out of some warped sense of duty (probably the same reason I watch Enterprise). There aren't many gay characters on television that aren't cartoons, so when a show comes along that's aimed squarely at that audience, they're going to watch, even if it's not particularly good. I'm of the belief that shows like this do more harm than good since they're just exploiting the situation, but in all fairness to those who watch, there are hardly any realistic gay characters in the television landscape, and that has to be frustrating.

das
All true. But this has to be the most offensive show about gays I have ever seen. I can't believe any self respecting gay person would put up with a show like this.
Old 03-17-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know if anyone noticed but...
When Ruth and kathy bates' character were walking and happened upon the bench, that bench was about twice the size of a normal bench. They looked like children on it. I'm not sure if on the west coast, those are normal sizes for benches, but here in chicago, they aint. Something like that makes me think things really aren't normal. Also, all the fade to whites too. That was usually reserved for the opening death sequences. Anyhow, I enjoyed it. Ruth is really going out of character and it's fun watching.

Neitzl
Old 03-17-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
[About QAF] ...this has to be the most offensive show about gays I have ever seen. I can't believe any self respecting gay person would put up with a show like this.
Bad, yes... But offensive? Hate to detrail the SFU thread even further -- and hate to be the one defending QAF, which is a marginal show at best -- but there are plenty of self-respecting gays who like or love the show...

As a matter of fact, it's the uptight, prissy gays who are likely to be offended by it... or feel embarrased by it as a matter of course, because all the characters are "promiscuous" or "sex-obsessed"... as if the gals on Sex & the City or the guys in Swingers *aren't*...

I don't spend my evenings in bars or dance clubs, and I don't make a lifestyle out of casual sex... But I don't have much patience for gay men who think they're better than the ones who *do*...

For people who've followed the show from the beginning, the characters are at least as charming as they are maddening... True, the scripts aren't up to par these days... but it's no worse than, say, bad Felicity or Dawson's... and I daresay if Katie Holmes was prancing around nude each week, there are plenty of people who would forgive the shallow writing...

Last edited by adamblast; 03-17-03 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-17-03, 01:20 PM
Banned

What an idiotic comment Das. Why would you say something so narrow minded?
A huge generatlization if you ask me.
Though I am new to the boards here, I have noticed your comments are rather pompous and you seem to have an high opinion of yourself.
Next time think more about your comments before you type them in

I am gay and dont feel I have to watch something that is gay out of duty. I dont watch Will and Grace and I dont watch Queer as Folk!

Ive only seen the first two episodes this season but and I havent found anything offensive with the gay releationship. When they were in therapy I found their problems to be very real. They fight over petty stuff just like straight people do.
I havent seen the stuff about the choir yet so I cant comment on that.
Old 03-17-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by adamblast
Bad, yes... But offensive? Hate to detrail the SFU thread even further -- and hate to be the one defending QAF, which is a marginal show at best -- but there are plenty of self-respecting gays who like or love the show...

As a matter of fact, it's the uptight, prissy gays who are likely to be offended by it... or feel embarrased by it as a matter of course, because all the characters are "promiscuous" or "sex-obsessed"... as if the gals on Sex & the City or the guys in Swingers *aren't*...

I don't spend my evenings in bars or dance clubs, and I don't make a lifestyle out of casual sex... But I don't have much patience for gay men who think they're better than the ones who *do*...

For people who've followed the show from the beginning, the characters are at least as charming as they are maddening... True, the scripts aren't up to par these days... but it's no worse than, say, bad Felicity or Dawson's... and I daresay if Katie Holmes was prancing around nude each week, there are plenty of people who would forgive the shallow writing...
Sorry Adamblast, didn't mean to offend you (or anyone) with my comments. But I disagree with you about "QAF" not being any worse than "Felicity" or "Dawson's Creek". "QAF" has taken every single stereotype possible and cranked it up 10 notches. You want to see the show done right? Check out the original U.K. version. If you haven't already. Well acted, scripted and directed.
Old 03-17-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gee. Someone else who doesn't like me. I'm crushed.

If you read my post, you'll see why my generalization doesn't apply to you. The comments were not about gay people; they were about people who watch the show. You don't watch the show, so clearly the comments don't apply to you. As you are new to this forum, a search will reveal that multiple gay posters have noted how they only watch the show because they feel somewhat obligated to. In addition to that, two of my closest friends are gay, and both watch the show (although one gave up on it last season). I've tried to watch it with them and found it to be crap, and when I asked why they watched it, they each gave me a similar answer as the one I described. Since then, one has given up on the show entirely, and the other has a viewpoint more like adamblast's: it's not that good, but at least it's something.

My comments were an indictment of the way gay characters are portrayed on television, not a negative generalization of gay viewers. I thought about it before I typed it, and I stand by it.

As for the name calling, there's no need for that. If you're going to take knee-jerk offense because I made a comment about some of the viewers of a rather bad television show, you may just want to go ahead and add me to your ignore list. Although we are sometimes overly passionate, we try to discuss things in a civil manner around here. So you disagree with me ... big deal.

das
Old 03-17-03, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Frelledup
What an idiotic comment Das. Why would you say something so narrow minded?
A huge generatlization if you ask me.
I thought das tread fairly lightly, and hit the mark fairly closely about QAF loyalty...

As for grunter's dismay about the Gay Men's Chorus storyline, I can only say that I think it's exactly in character for David, and that his "Some Other Time" was both sweet and moving... I haven't seen Ep.2... Why someone would find the showtunes so much more stereotypical than, say, the bear subculture is also beyond me...

Edit: not offended in the least, Daytripper...

Last edited by adamblast; 03-17-03 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-17-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really like the balance between Keith and David. Remember, David still really hasn't learned to accept himself for who he is, and consequently, he probably feels more comfortable in a room full of other gay men. The scene at the pool where he imagined everyone puking and ducking for cover at his approach indicates how he thinks the world sees him, and that's probably the biggest source of division between him and Keith. So while singing showtunes is a bit heavy on the stereotype, I don't find it too out of the ordinary for him, as he finds comfort among other gay people since he's so self-concious in other situations.

As for the episode, I thought some of the best stuff was with David and Keith in the car on the way back. Everything was going so well, but it just took one little thing (the traffic jam) to send things down the crapper. There has been a lot of depth in the way their relationship has been handled this season, and I like it. I will agree, however, that David isn't as strong a character as he was in the beginning. In a way, I guess that's what happens when you focus more on the couple than the individual; and a lot of time was spent last season trying to bring Keith's character up to speed.

das
Old 03-17-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
As for grunter's dismay about the Gay Men's Chorus storyline, I can only say that I think it's exactly in character for David, and that his "Some Other Time" was both sweet and moving... I haven't seen Ep.2... Why someone would find the showtunes so much more stereotypical than, say, the bear subculture is also beyond me...
Couldn't resist the snide backhand, could you?

Maybe one day you'll get off your high horse about the divisions within gay culture and accept them for what they are.

Old 03-17-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't resist the snide backhand, could you?

Maybe one day you'll get off your high horse about the divisions within gay culture and accept them for what they are.

You're the one who sets himself up as the arbiter of all things. I simply react with a defensive counter-post from time to time.
Old 03-17-03, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
Gee. Someone else who doesn't like me. I'm crushed.

das

C'mon das. You should be used to it by now.

I think everyone has had something against you at some point or another.

Old 03-17-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
While I'm enjoying the season so far, although last night's episode was on the average side, I'll agree 100% with you here Grunter -- are you people on crack or something? Where on earth is it written that two women can't have a friendship without them suddenly becoming lesbians? As for Ruth's whole comment about whether or not it would be 'appropriate to call,' that didn't necessarily have romantic implications. You can have friends who you're that way with too -- wondering if you're coming off too strong when you want to hang out with them all the time, or a friend who constantly calls you when you'd rather do something else. The idea that this Ruth and Bettina plotline is leading to a lesbian affair is just idiotic. There've been no rational foreshadowings of this whatsoever IMHO

...Now, if the show actually DOES this, it really go off into the crapper...
Old 03-17-03, 11:08 PM
Banned

Deleted - Static

I enjoyed the episode and dont find any unusual bad stereotypes on Six feet under.
Gay men cant sing in a choir? Though not everyone gay man does, I dont find it to be a stereotype.

Great to see so many great actresses working on this show. Lilly Taylor, Kathy Bates Catherine O'hara and the actress who plays Ruths sister ( Her name slips my mind ).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.