Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol - 3/11/03

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
Didn't Kimberly L. sing a duet with Frenchie? I can't remember what song it was, but it was uptempo and she sounded great.

That's why I thought she would have handled Motown better.
The song was "Band of Gold" and while Kimberly was good, I thought Frenchie stood out much better in that duet.
Old 03-12-03, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's funny about Simon's "Burger King" comment is that I made the exact same remark while she was singing the song. Guess when he retires, they can come to me as a replacement.
Old 03-12-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
So, Ruben gets a day named after him. Not for winning a competition, but being in the top 12? I could understand if it was maybe in his hometown, but it was for the whole state of Alabama...

Has anyone considered that maybe these custom Jerseys that he and his brother wear are the only things that fit them, without spending a lot of money tailoring other clothes? It is getting old, though.

Simon commenting that Julia shouldn't take a bow and Julia not realizing what he meant by that was classic. Julia did look great last night, and not necessarily because of her "lack of support" But when your performance consists of leaning from what foot to the other, that's bad. I don't really remember how she was like before, but I have to believe that she was nervous in front of the live audience. Either that, or she didn't want to fall out of her shirt.

Simon in general seemed to be a lot nicer last night, at least to the contestants. He saved most of his criticism for the producers, which I thought was odd. And he squeezed in that promo for Kelly's upcoming cd...

I know this may be blasphemy for Justin-haters, but Clay's performance reminds me a lot of how Justin Guarini performs (but not how he sings). I don't know what it is.

Caldwell totally dressed like Nikki last night.

Vanessa does look like she lost some weight. But I think it was mainly that outfit she wore during the semifinals that made her look kinda bad. But then, in her vignette, she admits that she loves wearing those kinds of outfits...

I think Simon pointed out that Josh needs to lose a couple of pounds because he's been getting heavy criticism for going after the weight of the female contestants, and not the male contestants. Of course, if he went after Ruben, he'd get criticized for that too, so he picked Josh. I still think it would've been funnier if he told Charles he needed to lose some weight.

The celebrity judge did show who he liked. If he thought your performance was just ok, he just said "it was good" and that was it. If he really liked it, he said something more. You just have to decode it. Kinda like Paula: when she compliments the contestant's looks and not their performance, it means even she couldn't pull anything good out of it.
Old 03-12-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually, Kimberley Locke also reminded me of "Heat Miser" from "The Year Without Santa Claus".
Old 03-12-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Actually, Kimberley Locke also reminded me of "Heat Miser" from "The Year Without Santa Claus".
Oh, now that's just fargin' hilarious! I hope others know what (and who) you are talking about. TFF!!

About Simon commenting on weight issues. Why not tell the pipe cleaners to gain a few pounds? Sure, there's only one *real* skinny person in the Top 12. Still......
Old 03-12-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished watching. Clay can really sing, but I don't enjoy it much. Having said that, I think he really deserves to be there at the end.

Ruben. Wow. Not once in the past did his voice do anything for me, but I was very impressed with his performance. Maybe it was the uptempo song... I don't know, but I thought he was great.
Old 03-12-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth MrX •<HR SIZE=1>I figured Simon was going say something about Julia almost falling out of her shirt. <HR SIZE=1>

He did, and being an idiot, she thought he was criticizing her performance. She said something to the effect of, "your opinion doesn't matter."

das
Yeah I was like:

"You idiot, he was making a joke with you. Not against you."
Old 03-12-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i can't wait for the disco songs.
Old 03-12-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The way that Trenyce taps the microphone in time as she sings (ala Dionne Warwick, Whitney Houston, etc.) drives me insane. Very distracting. Very annoying.
Old 03-12-03, 12:38 PM

Didja notice when Julia tried to pull a "Justin" by invoking the opinion of the crowd? Seacrest cut that short real quick. I knew somebody would play that card...didn't expect to see it in the first round, though. And I'm sure we'll see it again.
Old 03-12-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Didja notice when Julia tried to pull a "Justin" by invoking the opinion of the crowd? Seacrest cut that short real quick. I knew somebody would play that card...didn't expect to see it in the first round, though. And I'm sure we'll see it again.
Yeah, I got that vibe too. Did she not learn anything from last season? Someone else kind of did this too. But can't remember which one now.
Old 03-12-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, no comments about Kimberly's mom? Alright, I'll go first. Scary scary.
Old 03-12-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone explain a little of pulling a "Justin?"
Old 03-12-03, 01:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
After Simon ripped on Justin last year Justin told him his opinion didn't matter and tried to get the crowd involved by asking them what they thought.
Old 03-12-03, 01:32 PM

Does anyone know what next week's theme will be?
Old 03-12-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig

Has anyone considered that maybe these custom Jerseys that he and his brother wear are the only things that fit them, without spending a lot of money tailoring other clothes? It is getting old, though.
They've had segments showing them shopping for clothes before. I'm sure Fox gives them money to buy the clothes they wear on the show, and I guarantee if Rueben were to ask specifically for a suit they would get him one because the crowd would go insane. I think all the guys dress like schlubs, but he's the worst by far. Clay was right behind him though, looking like he had just rolled out of bed.
Old 03-12-03, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by conscience
Yeah I was like:

"You idiot, he was making a joke with you. Not against you."
But I wanted her to take another bow
Old 03-12-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Daytripper
Oh yeah, no comments about Kimberly's mom? Alright, I'll go first. Scary scary.
I'm right there. And unfortunately, the daughter did not fall far from the tree.....scary eyes!
Old 03-12-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think Randy is happy Ruben is in the competition because otherwise, Randy just might be the biggest guy in the room...
Old 03-12-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmm, I'd imagine either Carmen, Charles, Kimberly L. or Cory is out tonight. Cory, unfortunately, had a very difficult song with quick phrasing and didn't do well. The more I see of Carmen, she annoys me with the strange undulations in her voice. I personally want her out.

I was surprised none of the judges, namely Simon, mentioned Ricky's miscue on his song -- he missed the entire opening line, which is why a few nervous chuckles showed up in the beginning of his performance. I guess it was interpreted as personality and joy of performance. He recovered very nicely, however.

I most enjoyed Clay and Josh.
Old 03-12-03, 02:47 PM

I thought I saw Ricky singing but didn't hear anything, so I assumed it was a problem with his microphone.
Old 03-12-03, 02:49 PM

There was clearly a problem with Ricky's microphone. You could see him singing, but nothing was coming out. The same thing happened to Ryan Seacrest a couple weeks ago. Perils of live television, I suppose.
Old 03-12-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kimberly's (if we are talking about the stuck up white one) mom looks like she has been to the tanning bed a little too much in her life.

Oh well. off to the tanning bed.
Old 03-12-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by conscience
Kimberly's (if we are talking about the stuck up white one) mom looks like she has been to the tanning bed a little too much in her life.

Oh well. off to the tanning bed.
Yeah, but do you shave your eyebrows off and draw them back on four inches above where they were? Thread thin no less.
Old 03-12-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
WTF is the point of having the bottom 3 and then keeping 2? I agree with Simon.. there should be 5 in the list, including Charles and Ricky

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.