TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Disney & Hughes - Not Playing Nice

Old 03-09-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Disney & Hughes - Not Playing Nice

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030307/media...cfamily_1.html

DirecTV says may drop ABC Family over price rise
Friday March 7, 6:35 pm ET

LOS ANGELES, March 7 (Reuters) - No. 1 satellite television company DirecTV may drop the ABC Family Channel at the end of the month instead of paying the 35 percent price increase The Walt Disney Co is demanding, the company said on Friday.

ABC Family would lose about 13 percent of its audience, or 11.3 million of 85 million homes, if DirecTV pulled the channel from its basic package that is available on its U.S. network.

An ABC Cable Network spokesman said talks would continue.

"We are surprised and disappointed that DirecTV has chosen to threaten their viewers with the loss of ABC Family at this early stage of our negotiations with them," the spokesman said.

DirecTV spokesman Bob Marsocci said there had already been several months of talks.

"Taking down a channel is always a last resort," he said.

But, he added: "A 35-percent rate increase is unreasonable. There has not been a dramatic change in programming on ABC that justifies such a price increase."

DirecTV, which is owned by Hughes Electronics Corp. the satellite subsidiary of General Motors Corp., on Thursday began running a banner on ABC Family advising viewers that the channel might be dropped on March 31.

The two companies last announced a renewal of their contract in May 2002.

ABC Family last year ran into trouble with DirecTV competitor EchoStar Communications Corp., which Disney sued after it tried to drop ABC Family from its DISH network. The two reached an agreement with undisclosed terms, although DISH kept ABC Family.

EchoStar also tried to buy DirecTV, but abandoned the bid after regulators raised anti-trust concerns.

Disney bought ABC Family for $5.2 billion, including assumed debt, in 2001, and the channel currently is available in nearly every U.S. home with cable or satellite television.
Disney is notorious for being bastards when it comes to this stuff, so I'm not surprised in the least that this is going on; and further to the defense of DirecTV, there's nothing of any significant on ABC Family. Maybe when they were showing Alias repeats I would have cared, but even then, the channel's not that valuable.

What scares me more is the situation with ESPN-HD. Apparently their demands are also absurd, and as of yet, I haven't heard of anyone who is willing to pick it up; and we're less than 3 weeks away from the channel's launch. I could see Comcast picking it up despite restrictions just because they seem willing to do (and say, including outrageous lies) anything to get customers. But where does that leave the rest of us ... or all of us?

das
Old 03-10-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bu-bye ABC Family . . .
Old 03-10-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We are surprised and disappointed that DirecTV has chosen to threaten their viewers...
Threaten their viewers??

[Bugs Bunny] What a maroon. [/Bugs]
Old 03-10-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i wont miss it.
the only time put it on is by accident and to find the life with bonnie reruns.
Old 03-10-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

F**k Disney. And that's all i have to say about that.
Old 03-11-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I recieve ABC Family? Why?
Old 03-11-03, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might be a little off topic, but when is DirecTV going to carry G4TV? I've been wanting this channel since it started almost a year ago and DirecTV has refused to carry it. I got DirecTV for niche channels like this and now everyone else has it, but them.
Old 03-11-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I won't miss it.

Hopefully, they replace it with something interesting.
Old 03-11-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Blaster1
Might be a little off topic, but when is DirecTV going to carry G4TV? I've been wanting this channel since it started almost a year ago and DirecTV has refused to carry it. I got DirecTV for niche channels like this and now everyone else has it, but them.
G4TV is owned and was created by Comcast...plain and simple. Don't worry, you're really not missing anything on the channel. The quality has gone straight downhill. Only thing to watch nowadays is Icons...and even some of those can be boring.
Old 03-11-03, 02:16 PM

I heard ratings for this channel are down like 30%. Kind of funny they want a 35% increase in price.

I only watched this channel for Freaks & Geeks and Alias repeats. Since they no longer show either of these, I won't miss it.

I'm a brand new DirecTV customer and I didn't even check to see if they carried this channel before I switched from digital cable.
Old 03-11-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think I've every watched the ABC Family channel. I won't miss it either way. It's just Disney just being Disney.
Old 03-11-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
I don't think I've every watched the ABC Family channel. I won't miss it either way. It's just Disney just being Disney.
I never cared about when it was Fox Family--or the name before that, either. Didn't this channel start out as some "christian morality" channel, like PAX?

Now it's just an ABC repeat haven, and the "Family" handle is basically a lie... Get off my band and let me have a few more decent channels that show something original...
Old 03-11-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would miss it. I have Dish though so guess Im ok for now. Seriously they re-air some great toons like Spider-man and I am a closet Power Rangers fan, and they have been repeating all the PR series.