Reload this Page >

American Idol - 2/25/03 - Group #4

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-25-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My God, this year's contestants are arrogant. The performances have been from average to downright awful, and yet they still get up in Simon's face like, *SNAP* "oh I dis-a-gree!!!" Disagree all you like, you still sounded like trash.

The only person who did anything for me was Mr. Marine, and I guess I'll throw my second vote to Justin Corey.

das
Old 02-25-03, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pretty much agreed with most of the judges comments. I thought the 2nd participant had a really good voice and that the 5th participant had an interesting Mary J. Blige - type of style and could have an interesting career. I think that the Marine and Corey will probably get the votes though, not that they don't deserve it. They were the best performers tonight (I don't know if that's saying a whole lot though).

I
Old 02-25-03, 10:04 PM

Just horrible. Horrible. Only 2 of them (Josh and Corey) were good enough to go on. The others weren't even close.

I was LMAO when Randy kept saying "Do you know who I am?" and she didn't give a sh*t.

This was the second time Randy mentioned being involved with Journey somehow. Did he actually perform with them or something, or did he just do studio work?

Just found a picture of him in his Journey days. He play Bass on one album and toured with them for that album.

Another one!

Last edited by shaggybrown; 02-25-03 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-25-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife and I both thought Corey was awful, yet the judges took to him like flies to sh*t.
Old 02-25-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, here's how I rank the performances tonight:

1. Joshua - very passionate, but needs to work on the hyper left hand manuevers/gestures. He tends to sing everything the same way, though.

2. Corey - if he had some bottom end to his voice, he'd be really tough to beat. I found that he wasn't always in key, and sort of flattened out on the high/extended notes. What he does have in spades is the connection between him and the viewer/listener (which is what Paula was responding to, and Randy just loves his Journey roots).

3. Nasheka - nice voice, but dead eyes. She totally mistook the Tamyra comparison and criticism the wrong way.

4. Chip - good solid voice, but he made singing look hard.

5. Patrick - poor choice of song, okay vocally, but too sleepy-eyed while singing.

6. Sylvia - the judges were right about her over-singing the song.

7. Ashley - it was the helium voice that did her in.

8. Juanita - I could not wait for her song to be over, simply painful to listen to. Also, totally pig-headed and tone-deaf.

This group did not blow week 3's group out of the water, it was fairly close until Joshua and Corey stepped up.
Old 02-25-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, the female performers are AWFUL, especially Juanita. I can't believe the audacity they have to tell Simon or the judges off. I hope they go back and listen to their singing... just awful.
Old 02-25-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Which girl was the one who replaced Frenchie? It really doesn't matter which one it was because all of them sucked? Frenchie could have belched the alphabet and she still would have dominated this group.
Old 02-26-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The marine is getting in to the top ten, but I knew that before he sang a note tonight. Some people just have an "in", and him being a marine is his. The country is feeling very patriotic right now, so he really didn't even have to show up to get a finalist spot.

Last week, Simon said to the group that this group was going to blow them away. They did not. A lot of them did have the whole hand-on-the-hip-bobble-head-see-you-next-tuesday-bs attitude. They think they're scoring points with the viewers by mouthing off, but it just makes them look ridiculous and childish.

Didn't it look like the fat rocker dude was going to cry? Wuss!

Honk!
Old 02-26-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Frenchie could have belched the alphabet and she still would have dominated this group.
Knowing Frenchie's history, she probably would've qweefed the alphabet instead.

Honk!
Old 02-26-03, 12:16 AM

Man, what a group! Even Paula had a hard time trying to say anything nice about most of them. The women were especially bad tonight.

Until Joshua came on, I was thinking there wouldn't be anyone worth voting for from this group. Though neither he nor Corey (my other choice) really blew me away, they were the best of a pretty poor bunch.

I'm guessing that the Wild Card competition will primarily consist of performers from the first 2 weeks. The last 2 weeks have not been good.
Old 02-26-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They all suck because some idiot told them to look at the camera. They are too busy trying to figure out what camera they are on to concentrate on singing. Whoever told them to do that should be shot.
Old 02-26-03, 01:04 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by cineman
They all suck because some idiot told them to look at the camera. They are too busy trying to figure out what camera they are on to concentrate on singing. Whoever told them to do that should be shot.
This is a competition for being a singing star, a job that entails looking at the right camera at the right time in televised performances. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't be on the show.
Old 02-26-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

EASILY Josh and Corey were the best.
Old 02-26-03, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Corey SUCKED! He rushed the song and did the same move.

I totally agreed with Simon on the first giel. Totally oversang and her pronunciations were very off. Her mouth was doing something of its own!

And even the Marine was off at times. But he was definitely the best.

Jaunita (the Frenchie fill-in) was HORRIBLE!!! Forget saving the chi'ren... SAVE ME!!!!

And the one that said Simon must have never been to a Black church cuz she did what they call "sangin"...Honey, I was raised in the Black Church and I can see her point. When she sang I kept thinking "Why, Lawd, Why??????"

My vote would go for the Marine and the girl that sang with no personality. Very cute and nice voice but was very deadpan. I wonder who the wildcards will be next week...

Sam
Old 02-26-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
This is a competition for being a singing star, a job that entails looking at the right camera at the right time in televised performances. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't be on the show.
What televised performances entail looking at the camera while singing? All the ones I've seen, they're singing to (and looking at) the audience. It's not like they're shooting a music video.
Old 02-26-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah this group was terrible.
I only liked the Marine, the rest weren't even close to good to me including Corey. If I had to choose a second it'd be Corey, but so many more from the first two groups deserved to be in the top ten before Corey.

I think those two guys are a lock for the win from last night.
Which I think unfortunetly cuts down on my chances of Clay getting in a wild card spot, since they have enough males already.

I think in this competition this year the guys seem to be doing much better than the girls overall.

Right now I'm thinking for the two wild card spots:
Kimberly (from round 1)
And hopefully Clay from round 2.
Old 02-26-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by RichardW
What televised performances entail looking at the camera while singing? All the ones I've seen, they're singing to (and looking at) the audience. It's not like they're shooting a music video.
Well I think this one would be one of those times.
As the "audience" IS the television cameras. They are trying to get votes. And there is no "live audience" in this round so there is nobody to be singing to but the judges and "cameras"
Old 02-26-03, 08:31 AM

Did anyone notice how, when Simon was talking to Corey about the final 10, he mentioned "the Kimberlys" (plural)? So far, however, there's only 1 "Kimberly" in the final 10 (Kimberley Locke).

Sounds like Kimberly Caldwell from Week 1 is pretty much guaranteed a Wild Card spot.
Old 02-26-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

After the last two weeks, it would be surprising if Kimberly Caldwell and Clay weren't obvious choices for the Wild Card spots.

das
Old 02-26-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by shaggybrown
Old 02-26-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just some thoughts for people who think the judges call the shots as to who get "voted" through to the top 10:

If Simon had his way, Kimberly Caldwell would have moved on to the Top 10, but she didn't make the top 2 in the vote, so she has to make it through the Wildcard round, which seems more like a possibility (with Clay shoring up the other wildcard spot given the "talent" that has been on display for the past 4 rounds of singing).

Week 2 was a slam dunk with Rueben and Kimberly Locke given their competition (and pretty much the rest of the rounds too given Kimberly's singing and Rueben's charisma).

Week 3 was very weak, and only Vanessa deserved to move on to the Top 10, but they were obligated to send one more, so Ricky "Hercules" Smith got the "oh he's so cute with his mannerisms" vote.

So, I don't think the judges have as much influence with the American public. Else, how does anyone explain Tamyra Gray losing to Nikki "Karaoke Queen" McKibbin last year? The judges' influence wasn't on display with that vote at all. I think Simon would have loved to see Ryan Starr progress further in the competition because she was photogenic and had a smokin' bod. Simon's into "looks" as well as the voices, almost too much on looks sometimes.

But I'm not discounting the judges' attempts to try and make their case as to who deserves to move to the next round, that's their right to do so in the competition and with the forum that have to express their opinions, but it's just their opinions. America has flipped Simon the finger a few times in past votes when it's been close.
Old 02-26-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kimberly Caldwell is the one that did the Melissa Ethridge song, right? She deserves a wild card spot. She's the only one I remember really getting ripped off in the voting.

Corey hasn't really blown me away with his singing, but he has the potential to. Of all of them I like his voice the best. He sounded really good on his first appearance when he did a Michael Jackson song. I'd like to hear him do an old 60s soul song, like some Marvin Gaye or Sam Cooke stuff. I think he could pull that off.

Seems to me Josh is sticking to the same song. I think he sounded better last night than in any of his other appearances, but man I really don't like that song. It was a good choice for piano accompianiment though, unlike the rocker guy. Wow was he awful or what?! He should've tried to sing that song straight instead of acting like he was doing a heavy metal ballad. He sang before this and wasn't too bad.
Old 02-26-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Do you think some of the contestants from earlier rounds who were beat out were really disappointed that they didn't get to be in the last two groups? Kimberly Caldwell and Clay would've easily taken a spot in the last two groups.

It may be just me, but I'm really not enthusiastic about how the top ten are turning out? No one really knocks my socks off, and although they continually say that the talent is better this time, I just don't see it. Of course, this is comparing these contestants to the top three (Tamyra, Kelly, and Justin, sorry Nikki...) from last year, not the bottom rung. And I really didn't start seeing Kelly as a favorite until after the finals started, so I'm hoping for a big surprise.
Old 02-26-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Josh was good, Corey and everybody else sucked (Corey's made me cringe.)

The contestants got really arrogant - which is strange - because the judges were really gentle with their comments when they should of torn into them.

"You don't know me." <--- what exactly does that have to do with how bad somebody sounds? I mean, she sounded horrible, and if we all knew her - she would still have sounded horrible.
Old 02-26-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really expected someone to break out with, "Wha'eva' ... I do what I want!!!" It was like Jerry Springer in there.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.