Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 02/25

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by nny
A lot of people complain about reruns, but just like every other show, the only make 22 episodes a year.
I think we all get the 22 episodes concept, but it would certainly help the flow of the continuing story arc if the episodes were played consecutively.

I could live with 22 straight weeks - then nothing, as opposed to the way it is currently.
Old 02-26-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by 12thmonkey
I think we all get the 22 episodes concept, but it would certainly help the flow of the continuing story arc if the episodes were played consecutively.

I could live with 22 straight weeks - then nothing, as opposed to the way it is currently.

You forget about the bottomline my friend, $$$$$

Most cash flow comes from the sweeps periods in November, February, and Mid-April to Mid May, and in that time you get advertising $$$. Using them all up at once would reduce the amount of $$$, so no chance in hell I fear.
Old 02-26-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
^ or it could be just like HBO, or FX where they show an entire season all in a row with no breaks and then rerun it again from the begining, instead of cutting up it's run.
Old 02-26-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any film buffs or technical types here who know how the camcorder picture differs from a 'film' or 'tv' picture? Is it the lighting? The filters they use? What I'm wondering is why a camcorder recording looks so different from the TV camera recording. How do you get that 'film' quality?
Old 02-26-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by hahn
How do you get that 'film' quality?
Smarta$$ answer: by using film.

Real answer: by using film.

From a Kodak site:

Often overlooked in the debate between film and video technologies is the fact that these two systems record and render images in fundamentally different ways. What exactly happens when light strikes a frame of motion picture film? How are the images formed and how does that differ from the way the best digital video cameras record pictures? These are just some of the questions we asked Tom Wallis, chief technical officer, Kodak Entertainment Imaging division.

Wallis explains that every frame of film has a thin emulsion layer composed of randomly distributed microscopic silver halide crystals suspended in a three-dimensional pattern. In contrast, digital cameras capture images on CCD arrays. These are two-dimensional devices with a fixed grid of pixels.

Film "sees" and records images similar to how the human eye "sees" them. Wallis explains that when film is exposed it reacts logarithmically to light and forms a latent image consisting of tiny silver atoms. These atoms--and the image--are chemically amplified when the negative is processed. Since the eye reacts logarithmically to light, the resulting image seems realistic to viewers.

In contrast, the CCD sensors in digital cameras capture light in a linear fashion on a fixed grid of pixels or picture elements. The light is converted to electrons that are stored in a "well" and subsequently are electrically amplified and transferred to magnetic tape or disks.

Wallis explains that when you scan film on state-of-the-art equipment, you can get 4,000 pixels of information across the horizontal axis of a frame of 35mm color negative. When a frame of Super 16mm color negative film is scanned across the horizontal axis it converts to 2,000 pixels of information. In comparison, the new 24P HD digital cameras record 1,920 pixels across the horizontal axis.

Dynamic range is another measure of imaging capability that points out the fundamental differences between the two technologies. Film has the capacity for recording images with a dynamic range of 1,000:1. The best HD and other digital cameras offer a capacity for recording a dynamic range of about 100:1. When the CCD well of electrons is full, Wallis explains, a condition called "clipping" occurs and there is no more sensitivity to higher levels of light. That results in a comparatively limited dynamic range. Film, on the other hand, can differentiate levels of light far above the typical highlight levels in a scene.

What does that explanation mean for filmmakers who are trying to capture images that convey the emotional content of a story?

"The dynamic range of film is what gives cinematographers the creative freedom to create a sense of place and time and to augment performances with light, colors, shadows and textures," Wallis explains. "These are some of the reasons why film feels organic to audiences and why they associate a film look with fantasy and video with reality."
Note that this is talking about (I presume) the super-dooper fancy-schmancy digital cameras the “industry” might use, not the kind you might record your home pr0n with.
Old 02-26-03, 09:32 PM

I don't mind having breaks, but I hate long breaks, then one episode, then another break. I think the season should be done in four or five chuncks of 5-7 eps each, then a few weeks off. I hate getting into that "no Buffy" mode for a month, then getting all psyched and into "Buffy" mode for the new ep, only to have to go back to "no Buffy" mode for another month. Oh well. At least Angel has been going in relatively long chuncks.
Old 02-27-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wizdar
Smarta$$ answer: by using film.

Real answer: by using film.

From a Kodak site:

Note that this is talking about (I presume) the super-dooper fancy-schmancy digital cameras the “industry” might use, not the kind you might record your home pr0n with.
COOL! Thanks! But what about those VHS camcorders? Weren't they analog? Or was it a digital to analog conversion?

And didn't George Lucas film TPM and TCW with digital videocameras?

Last edited by hahn; 02-27-03 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-27-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
You forget about the bottomline my friend, $$$$$
Most cash flow comes from the sweeps periods in November, February, and Mid-April to Mid May, and in that time you get advertising $$$. .
Yeah, I fully understand that concept, too.
Personally I don't care about sweeps and ad revenue, so I would rather have all 22 in consecutive weeks.
Old 02-27-03, 11:06 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a perfect world, we'd have 22 straight weeks of the show. I'm willing to live with a break here and there. What I dont' want is what they did a month or so ago - alternating new and old episodes for about 6 weeks.
Old 03-10-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by renaldow
All of the flashbacks from Andrew were new material. It was all his version of what really happened.

Good episode, I thought.
Actually it was new andrew/jonathan shots intercut with old willow shots and pretty obvious at that.