Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Straw for remaining Enterprise fans (spoilers)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Straw for remaining Enterprise fans (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 10:25 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watch Trek, but it never has been a religion to me like it is to some, and all of that trekker "GR's vision of a future where everyone gets along" mantra that I hear from the ST club just makes my eyes roll. So I agree with some of what you say. TOS is an interesting bit of history, but really pretty cheesy most of the time. TNG is my favorite. DSN was okay but I could have done without the Ferangi comic relief and "wormhole/Bajor aliens" thing entirely. Voyager was a steaming, utterly worthless pile of dung. Enterprise, on the other hand, is IMHO not that bad. There are worse ways I could kill an hour of my time, I don't mind the theme song, and I don't care if it tramples the Trek timeline. Heck, according to the Trek timeline, we should already have gone through a nuclear war and been cloning supermen by now, shouldn't we?
Old 02-21-03, 05:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tanman
which eps was that? I think I missed that one.
It was the one where they luckily found an automated repair station after getting beat up the episode before (Minefield). Mayweather is thought to be killed but the repair station actually made a replica. The real Mayweather was to be used to help power the station. They blow the station up and the last scene shows the station repairing itself. Definitely tones of Borgism.
Old 02-21-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally posted by Jim in Cincy
It was the one where they luckily found an automated repair station after getting beat up the episode before (Minefield). Mayweather is thought to be killed but the repair station actually made a replica. The real Mayweather was to be used to help power the station. They blow the station up and the last scene shows the station repairing itself. Definitely tones of Borgism.

ooooohhhhh. I did watch that one but didn't get the
Spoiler:
borg refrence
but it definately isn't a definate. It really just does not seem to fit their species.
Old 02-21-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem is incest - only ideas from within the select group get considered anymore, and recycling is the norm.

New ideas might challenge the franchise.
Old 02-21-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tanman
It really just does not seem to fit their species.
I totally agree with that. I think it’s a case of some folks assuming the Borg connection because a) they had wetbodies attached to machines and b) B&B have obviously run out of original ideas, if they ever had any to begin with.

Of course, I could be wrong, and frequently am.
Old 02-21-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes me wonder when Q will show up?
Old 02-21-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
Final...straw? Mine was a long time ago. Anyone wanna borrow it?

Who knows? Maybe the final shot of the series "finale" will be of a CGI'd TOS Captain Kirk waking up and saying "Whoa! Did that nightmare suck!"
And, of course, rolls over to find Michael O'Hare in bed with him telling him to go back to sleep.
Old 02-22-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, this is just pathetic. I thought maybe they'd have Seven of Nine as a time traveller, or something lame like that... but this? good lord.

The reason DS9 was so good was because it had the same writers as the early TNG. DS9 was also ignored by Berman a lot, espically when Voyager started.

If you look at how the shows aired, you'll see DS9 was the best when Berman was not involved! Berman went to watch over the more important Voyager (since it was on UPN, it was considered far more important.) Look at writers' interviews and you can see their dislike of Voyager.

I personally hope Trek is dead and never comes back. This is coming from someone who has seen every episodes of TOS, TNG and DS9, and most of Voyager (but I thought that sucked.)I own thouands of dollars in Trek products, have several VHS of taped episodes. I'm just sick and tired of what they've done to it.
Old 02-24-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the Trek Universe and its problems is starting to make the rounds. Check this out from TVGuide:

HOW TO FIX TREK
1 MAKE IT OBVIOUS It's cold and dark in space. Enterprise needs real peril, dread and fear so that characters are tested to within an inch of their lives. Introduce a chilling, powerful, wholly original threat that can't be vanquished in an hour. The Suliban aren't bad, but they're no Borg.

2 MAKE IT MORE REAL Let the crew make grave mistakes. Let them argue and be driven by less-than-moral impulses. Let the phaser beams rip through metal and bone. And let there be dangling emotional threads that weave through the lives of these otherwise bland characters.

3 LET CAPTAIN ARCHER BE HEROIC As written, Scott Bakula has as much commanding presence as Cap'n Crunch. Archer, like his beagle, is benign and a little too cute. He has an annoying tendency to second-guess, which trickles down to the rest of his whiny crew. Either light a fire under this laconic guy or kill him in a blaze of glory that explains why starships, planets and star systems should one day be named Archer. (And while you're at it, take out that annoying Ensign Hoshi with him.)

4 OPEN FIRE AND CLOSE THOSE PIE HOLES Enterprise should expand our belief about what is possible and transport us to realms unimagined with its ideas. But if it can't also be packed with action and adventure, move it to Lifetime. We're weary of the endless Trek babble on the bridge, the shuttlecraft, the crew quarters. Enough!

5 GET US ON THE EDGE OF OUR SEATS You shouldn't be able to figure out what the general direction and ending of any given episode is by the first 12 minutes. "Oh, here's where Hoshi overcomes her fear of failure..." "Well, it looks like Trip and that belligerent alien are going to work together to save both their hides..." Why not try some longer, unpredictable story arcs? Cliff-hangers, big and small, give a series purpose, poignancy and punch. Make us miss you this summer.

Link
Old 02-24-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth bboisvert •<HR SIZE=1>Looks like das was off by 1 season with his prediction:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...postid=2817521

<HR SIZE=1>

My sense of nostalgia shamefully lulled me into giving them too much credit. Over time, I've grown to accept that Trek is dead, but I still miss it dearly.

das
Old 02-24-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

from UPN President Dawn Ostroff
Hit shows often take years.
What a load of tribble poo!

It's not looking good for female network execs in the use-of-brains department.

It’s the “top rated drama”??
Old 02-24-03, 04:55 PM
Banned

Trek has been for 36 years so I dont buy the excuse that it takes years for a new Trek show to find its legs.
Maybe now that TVguide has jumped on the bandwagon, the people at Paramount will see that there is a reason for the decline in Everything Trek.
Their homework should be watching Farscape and B5 for examples of good Sci Fi.
Old 02-25-03, 12:22 AM

The last two eps were very good.

I'll reserve judgement on this...
Old 02-25-03, 02:37 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Having the show based in the past was their first mistake. It should of been based in same time frame as the other shows. Then a few cameo's from Voyager, TNG and Deep Sh*t 9 would of made it better and exciting. Who wants to watch an old lemon ship fly around in space?
Also Captain Archer needs to get some balls and get off his high moral horse.
Old 02-25-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
Having the show based in the past was their first mistake. It should of been based in same time frame as the other shows. Then a few cameo's from Voyager, TNG and Deep Sh*t 9 would of made it better and exciting
Enterprise's problems are many and they run deep... but I think that the timeframe is probably the least of those problems. And I don't think that cameos are the answer. In fact, the concept behind "cameos" (whether they be actors, races, or storylines) is one of the major problems with Trek today. How about something fresh and original, rather than bringing back stuff that they've already beaten to death over the past 15 years?

Who wants to watch an old lemon ship fly around in space?
I do!

The problem is that this really isn't an "old lemon" ship. It is very sleek, very high-tech. How much better would this show be if they ship was really creaky? If the crew was really pushing the limits of technology just to be cruising around? If the crew was worried that if they pushed the ship the ship too hard, it would literally explode on them?

When they originally described the concept, they made the ship sound more like a WWII submarine (think Das Boot in space). Now *that* would be interesting. Instead, we have a bland crew crusing around in bland storylines.
Old 02-25-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
As I said before, I love the timeframe. However, the villians leave so much to be desired. The Suliban are simply awful.

They need to concentrate on how humans got to the point of formally allying with the Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites, and Centaurians - the founding members of the UFP. Heck, we still have yet to see a Tellarite in this series (they have been mentioned) and I don't recall ever seeing a Centaurian in any series (of course I hardly watched DS9 or Voyager). They also need to show what led up to humans and Klingons being arch-enemies.
Old 02-25-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
I do!

bboisvert and Red Dog echoed my feelings.

When the concept was announced, I really liked the idea. “Let’s go back before TOS and find out how all this stuff came about.”

Bah! They’ve done little, if anything, along those lines. Just continued Trek without making use of the possibilities.

Right now they have a transporter that they won’t use because everybody is scared of the thing. That one piece of tech could be hammered to death as they try to work the bugs out of it. The problem with that is, in order to make it realistic, they are going to have to throw some Red Shirts into it, and it has already been demonstrated that nobody dies on this incarnation.

They did a piss-poor job of “developing” the universal translator (which, in retrospect, is probably a good thing). 15 minutes on targeting and torpedoes. Half an episode on Red Alert.

But as far as meeting “new” species and establishing relations: as long as they’ve got Gomer in the captain’s chair, I don’t hold much hope for the future of the Federation.

We DO have something to look forward to, however. Somewhere, maybe about Season 6, we are gonna find out how the Vulcans made the transition from the cranky, illogical, lying bastards they seem to be to the Spocks we’ve grown to love.
Old 02-25-03, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I gave up on Enterprise after the first few episodes this season.
The whole idea for the show is the pits. Enterprise wasn't the first human exploration of deep space- so what's the point? I would have rather seen them play it like that. It would have been more interesting seeing a show about the first human-crewed cargo freighters, etc.

I still think an idea like Mirror Trek would have been cool- takes place in the mirror universe, so they can bring on a whole new cast and occasionally have old favorites return in different roles.

Or how about a show set in the 29th century about the Federation Time Police they introduced us to in Voyager? That would have been cool as well.

It's clear B&B don't have the creative ability to bring us shows like that anymore.
Old 02-25-03, 12:04 PM

You could pick just about any premise and, so long as it had good production and acting and writing, it would be fine.
Old 02-25-03, 12:14 PM
Suspended

In retrospect, I have come up with the two primary reasons why Enterprise no longer holds my interest:

1) Lack of creativity. They've set up a premise with Earth's first interstellar warp craft. They initially said they were going to take a "The Right Stuff" approach to it. However, the plots are retreads from the various other Trek shows of the eighties and nineties.

2) It's just plain unexciting. The characters are good, but the level of drama and tension is no more than on Voyager. Characters are put in some conflict, but the execution is so poor that there is no real tension or suspense.

And, yes, I put the blame solely at the feet of B&B, both of whom have long since exhausted any good ideas they had for the franchise. Paramount needs to either bring in new blood or watch the Trek television and movie franchise go on an extended hiatus.
Old 02-25-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
one example of continuity
the good: rubber gloves in sickbay, was mentioned in that TNG episode with the inventor that stole a timeship
the bad: phase pistols/cannons, original TOS pilot had laser pistols, in the same TNG ep mentioned above Worf said phasers hadn't been invented yet.
true the phase pistols aren't quite phasers but the only real difference is that they only have 2 settings instead of stun and a few levels of kill

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-25-03 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-27-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got around to reading the whole TVGuide piece.
from Brandon Braga
It's come this far, and it ain't goin' anywhere.
Boy, you got that right, bubba!

Old 03-02-03, 12:42 PM
razorbackfan

Back to the Borg episode...it will actually be very good. From what I've seen, the script is good enough to be made into a feature or at least a two part episode. The Borg will be done just once, to bring ratings up for May sweeps.

Paramount could buy Berman out and give the guy checks until the end of time since Paramount owns the franchise, but don't expect to see that. It has been talked about on the lot though.

ENTERPRISE will be renewed for a 4th season, to make it into Syndication (can we say "MONEY"?) you need to have at least 100 episodes, a 4th season will give ENTERPRISE that. Syndication is the pot of gold for the studio.

Q isn't going to show up. The actor who plays him is overweight and not aging gracefully, a bad thing for an immortal being.
Old 03-02-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but Data was looking pretty old, worn-out and wrinkly in the last movie.
Old 03-12-03, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now Kirk is getting in on the act:

William Shatner (James T. Kirk) today said Star Trek has become "old hat" and needs new blood if the franchise is to endure.

"It needs something new," Shatner told Terry Morrow of the Scripps Howard News Service (via Naples News). "The people responsible for it have lost its way, and they need to find it again. They need a whole new group of talents to give everyone a fresh approach. By doing too many things, they have lost its way because of greed."

Shatner said he doesn't watch the latest television series, Enterprise, and didn't see Star Trek Nemesis at the cinema, either. "Curious, isn't it?" he said, "but I have never had a desire to see it, and you'd think I would ... Paramount must be worried over the lack of interest at the box office and the numbers for the series."

The solution, according to the actor, is simple. "They should hearken back to where it was before with good stories," Shatner said.

Link

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.