Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Watching Babylon 5 for the first time. Some Questions.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the pilot DVD and the 1st season boxset thanks to the recent "vs.vs.vs.vs." debate thread. I'm almost done with the first season (just two more episodes to go) and I'm really liking it.

I haven't seen anything (yet) that would make me say it was the 'best TV show ever' like some people have, but I do at least like how they managed to handle basically 6 different groups (including the non-allied aliens) each with their own agendas and secrets. Plus there a noticable overall improvement as the season moves on. The last three shows I've seen, Voice in the Wilderness 1&2 and Babylon Squared, are the best so far, IMO.

Anyway, I'm wondering about the DVD extras. Are there things mentioned on the commentaries or other extras that may spoil things for me? I know other sets (like Buffy) basically assume you all ready know the entire plot of the show in their extras.

Also, when can I feel free to watch the 'In the Beginning' movie on the pilot DVD? Is it between seasons 3 and 4, or 4 and 5?

And finally, I know one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, has written an episode of this show. Where does it fall in episode order, what was the title and (without spoiling anything) how was it recieved by fans?
Old 02-13-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't speak to the DVD spoilage, since I haven't gotten through all the features yet. As to the other stuff ...

Keep in mind that most consider season 1 to be pretty bad relative to 2-4. If you're liking it now, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Don't watch 'In the Beginning' until after Season 4.

Neil Gaiman's ep is called "Day of the Dead" and represents a bit of a break between two major threads in season 5. It's one of the more unique episodes in the series and has some truly memorable moments. I'm guessing it's not universally liked, but I found it very entertaining.

das
Old 02-13-03, 07:33 PM
Banned

I just started watching the show too.
Allot of my questions I have had have been answered here..

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html
Old 02-14-03, 02:59 AM

I love Day of The Dead, one of the best season 5 eps.

You guys are sooo lucky getting to see it all for the first time, sigh.
Old 02-14-03, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by cooper2000
I just started watching the show too.
Allot of my questions I have had have been answered here..

http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/lurker.html
If you go here, be really careful. Spoilers be there. So if you don't want the series spoiled, tread carefully.

The episode guide there is pretty much designed to not spoil any future episodes, so you can read the guide pages for eps you've seen without having to worry about having future eps spoiled.

The exception would be the page for "The Gathering." That episode, the pilot movie, had substantial changes made to it when it re-aired on TNT (as well as all subsequent showings AND the DVD). Most of these changes tighten up the pace of the episode and remove silly or incongruous things (like the Alien Sector that looked like a zoo). However, there was one detail added that could be construed as a major spoiler for future events.

Now the nature of that spoiler is such that you won't recognize it when you first view the pilot, and will you only notice it AFTER you've viewed the episodes it spoils. This is all discussed on the "Gathering" page of the guide.

That said, be careful on that page. Spoiler sections are clearly marked on that page, so avoid them if you don't want a major plot point prematurely dropped into your lap.
Old 02-14-03, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As to the commentaries: don't listen yet!

I've been working my way through first season again and listened to the JMS commentary on episode 13 and he pretty much spilled the beans, as it were.

To those who've seen B5 before, be sure to listen to the commentary. It fills in some answers as well as provides 'behind the scenes' info on why stuff happened.

I especially liked the reason he gave on why Londo's hair is the way it is!

As to when to watch 'In the Beginning', it originally aired after Season 4. I would think you should wait that long as well.
Old 02-14-03, 08:58 AM

I agree, do not watch the commentaries, until you have seen the entire series. There are several spoilers that he mentions. I don't remember them being big spoilers, but the context certainly can influence your perceptions.

The Lurker's guide is very useful. I would read it after each episode. Since getting the first season, I've done that again. It helps put things in perspective. Of course, reading future episodes would be major spoilage.

Enjoy!
Old 02-14-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
That episode, the pilot movie, had substantial changes made to it when it re-aired on TNT (as well as all subsequent showings AND the DVD).
Hmmm. Didn’t know that one.

Is there much difference?
Old 02-14-03, 02:06 PM
Suspended

Re: Watching Babylon 5 for the first time. Some Questions.

Originally posted by Tscott
I haven't seen anything (yet) that would make me say it was the 'best TV show ever' like some people have, but I do at least like how they managed to handle basically 6 different groups (including the non-allied aliens) each with their own agendas and secrets. Plus there a noticable overall improvement as the season moves on. The last three shows I've seen, Voice in the Wilderness 1&2 and Babylon Squared, are the best so far, IMO.
S1 is mostly set up and getting the key players into place. S2 is when it really gets rolling - and once it does. . . .

I strongly believe that S1 is a much stronger season if you know the rest of the story. After you finish watching the 4 reamaining seasons, go back and watch S1 again. You'll be amazed at all the stuff that makes sense that you missed the first go 'round.

Anyway, I'm wondering about the DVD extras. Are there things mentioned on the commentaries or other extras that may spoil things for me? I know other sets (like Buffy) basically assume you all ready know the entire plot of the show in their extras.
Althought it's not as bad as you might think, there are spoilers in the commentary. I would say hold off listening to them until you get an idea of the bigger picture.

Also, when can I feel free to watch the 'In the Beginning' movie on the pilot DVD? Is it between seasons 3 and 4, or 4 and 5?
Chronologicaly it's 20 years (give or take a bit) after the end of the series told in a flashback to 10 years before the series. It was shown in mid-season 5.

Should you watch it? Here's what JMS has to say about the matter:

Will ItB spoil some of season one's mysteries?

That's an interesting question. When I sat down to write In the Beginning, my feeling was that I should look at the long term. Would the hole in Sinclair's mind be the same mystery it was in season one, or would it be kind of known thereafter? If so, then do you want to play with the mystery, or set up what actually happened? I figured, okay, let's go for the latter...let's let the audience know (which will mostly know by now anyway), and set up the background, with the characters not knowing the first season. I took basic greek tragedy as my model, with ItB functioning more or less as a Greek chorus that sets things up.

If you want to play it as a strict mystery, then no, probably don't go near ItB...but frankly, if I were going to start someone off on B5, I'd definitely want to start with ItB, which sort of skims in and out of the overall storyline in a beautiful fashion.

Originally posted by Wizdar
Hmmm. Didn’t know that one.

Is there much difference?
Some of the effects were cleaned up and brought up to the standard set in the series. JMS again:

Today, John Copeland and I finished re-editing "The Gathering," the B5 pilot movie. While there were some areas we couldn't get into because of the complexity in redoing the mix, virtually every scene got tinkered with to one degree or another, and most important, the roughly 14 minutes of footage left out of the original version is now back in. The whole thing is tighter and faster, and there's more recent CGI, we'll have Chris Franke re-score it, and it's just in general a lot better. (Some parts of it even make more sense now.)

One additional change: because of the desire on PTEN's part to have as many commercial breaks as possible, the 6-act script was jerry-rigged and broken down into 9 acts. One side-effect of this is that 9 acts wears on you, and wears you out, more than the standard 6. You start to get a feeling of being led up to things too often, and there isn't time to dwell on the acts you're in. I was finally able, with this re-edit, to move scenes back around again to what I originally wanted in a 6-act structure (you'll see a number of scenes juxtaposed from their original order).

Last edited by El-Kabong; 02-14-03 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-14-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, In the Beginning is good to help convince people to watch the show. If you're already convinced, though, I'd suggest avoiding it.

das