Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

das - how many vcr's/tivo's do you own???

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

American Idol, Bachelorette, AND Angel. All on at the same time and you managed to watch ALL of them?! Wow, and I thought I watched a lot of TV. The networks should pay you to be a Nielsen viewer.

But this does suck. More and more nights have overlapping shows that I want to watch. Wed nights are especially crowded. Anyone know when Tivo's coming out with a dual tuner? I gotta get me one of those.

Last edited by hahn; 01-30-03 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: das - how many vcr's/tivo's do you own???

Originally posted by hahn
But this does suck. More and more nights have overlapping shows that I want to watch. Wed nights are especially crowded. Anyone know when Tivo's coming out with a dual tuner? I gotta get me one of those.
A stand-alone, two-tuner Tivo? Not in the near future from what I understand. It would require a second encoder I believe, and that's rather cost prohibitive. The DirecTivo's do not not need the encoders, so they are quite a bit cheaper to produce. Thus the two-tuner units.
Old 01-30-03, 02:45 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Directivo's are great, as is being on the west coast and getting east coast feeds....

Bachelorette on at 5:30 and it frees up the rest of the evening
Old 01-30-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I own one Replay-TV. I was thinking about getting another one (Costco has the 80 hour one for $250 after rebate - great deal), but I only have 3 inputs on my Sony TV:

1. Video 1 - for DVD player (which I have to share with my PS2)
2. Video 2 - for Replay-TV (hooked up to my digital cable box)
3. RF1 - for my direct cable line (I split my cable: 1 to TIVO and 1 direct to TV)

Come to think of it, I do have another RF input to my TV (ANT) so I suppose I could connect another Replay-TV to that (assuming that the Replay-TV has a RF out). I would then need a 3-way splitter and I could only record non-digital-cable channels on the 2nd Replay-TV (unless I got another digital cable box).
Old 01-30-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
I have one VCR and cannot watch one show while a different one is recording
Old 01-30-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rd, you need to get a A/V receiver to add more video inputs to your setup.

I have 3 VCRs, and one ReplayTV (soon to be 2). I have been watching HDTV content live, so some of the recordings I make aren't watch because I want the HD viewing experience for them.
Old 01-30-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno ... a lot

I have a DirecTiVo (2 tuners) hacked up to 149 hours
An HD DirecTV/OTA receiver
And a bunch of various generic receivers and VCRs - not sure what the total count is - maybe 3 or 4 more receivers and 6 or 7 VCRs.

With so much TV coming out on DVD and the availability of hiqh quality encodes on the newsgroups, I don't use my VCRs much anymore (only 2 are hooked up right now). While I'm set up to handle it, it is very rare that there are more than 4 programs all in the same timeslot that I need to see. The only time that happens is Sunday nights and I have HBO West to take care of that. I think I'm set up to handle 7 shows per timeslot in a worst case scenario.

das

P.S. I agree ... the networks should pay me to watch their stuff. /me dreams about how much TV he could watch if he didn't have a pesky job.

Last edited by das Monkey; 01-30-03 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this is why i dont start watching new shows i have a hard enough time watching the ones i'm currently "invested in".

how do you find the time to watch all the stuff you record?
Old 01-30-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Patman
Rd, you need to get a A/V receiver to add more video inputs to your setup.

Yeah - this is what my former roommate had since he had 2 TIVOs, a DVD player, an HD decoder, and a cable box going into the TV. The only thing that sucks if I got one is that it means yet another remote. Sure I could get one of those fancy/schmancy Marantz or Pronto remotes but I like being able to use the remote (my current one is a Cinema 7) w/o having to look at it.
Old 01-30-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

das,

Do ever have time to watch DVDs?

I know I watch a lot of TV and it cuts into my DVD watching time.
Old 01-30-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>das,

<HR SIZE=1>

This is a real drawback, and it sucks. There's just not enough time in the day. Still, I try to make the time. The Fall is the worst with all the new shows in addition to football killing Saturdays and Sundays. Winter is rough too, since short-run shows are becoming more and more popular. But I try to catch up on DVD viewing during the weekends (other than Fall) and throughout the summer months.

I have a social and family life to maintain, so the time is often difficult to find, and it takes a little planning to keep up. Cutting commercials cuts out a good 20%, plus I often watch 2 things at a time. And still there's just not enough time. If I were a hermit with no life, it would probably be easier, but I like to get out and do things too much, so DVDs often get left behind.

das
Old 01-30-03, 05:34 PM
Banned

I picture Das never leaving the house or dating because he watches so much TV.
Old 01-30-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DVDs? What are those?
Old 01-30-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am seriously considering moving one of my Replay Tv's to my basement exercise room so I can workout while I catch up on watching my TV shows.

In addition all the network shows, I am also trying to watch Sliders & Roswell repeats that I've never seen.

I have a TV down there with basic cable hook-up but I am stuck watching "live" TV down there which I am so not used to doing now.

ReplayTV is such a mixed blessing. I love it but I definitely watch way more TV now than I used to in the "olden days".

I find I am constantly trying to watch stuff on there so I can delete it and I rarely don't have a backlog of something to watch (except during the holidays when all my regular shows were in repeats.)

My husband & I actually don't go anywhere on our vacations-- we stay home for a week and watch movies & TV shows.

Last edited by Jadzia; 01-30-03 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Same here - outside of the TV, my Replay is now my most used piece of a/v equipment. Fortunately, now that football is over, Sunday afternoons are free for catch-up, unless there are decent college hoops games on.
Old 01-30-03, 07:02 PM

5 vcr's and 4 are recording at this moment
Old 01-30-03, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I own one Replay-TV. I was thinking about getting another one (Costco has the 80 hour one for $250 after rebate - great deal)
Sorry to jump in here, but I just bought a 40 hour Replay for almost the same price! I have been searching the Costco website and cannot find the Replay TV. Could you provide a link?

Thanks!

-C00Ki3
Old 01-30-03, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by C00Ki3
Sorry to jump in here, but I just bought a 40 hour Replay for almost the same price! I have been searching the Costco website and cannot find the Replay TV. Could you provide a link?

Thanks!

-C00Ki3

It is not available on-line. I saw them the last time I actually went to Costco which was like 3 weeks ago. First time I actually ever saw DVRs at Costco. They had the 4508 for $299. $249 after SonicBlue's $50 rebate.
Old 01-30-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But remember, you'll need to fork over $10/month, or $250 at one time to keep the PVRs going.

I just added to my Showstopper collection (now 2 of them) with one I just bought off Epay.

I think I'm going to stick with the older PVRs with the built-in activation, rather than deal with the monthly/lifetime subscriptions.

I almost went for 2 Showstoppers tonight. How sick is that?
Old 01-31-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>das,

<HR SIZE=1>

This is a real drawback, and it sucks. There's just not enough time in the day. Still, I try to make the time. The Fall is the worst with all the new shows in addition to football killing Saturdays and Sundays. Winter is rough too, since short-run shows are becoming more and more popular. But I try to catch up on DVD viewing during the weekends (other than Fall) and throughout the summer months.

I have a social and family life to maintain, so the time is often difficult to find, and it takes a little planning to keep up. Cutting commercials cuts out a good 20%, plus I often watch 2 things at a time. And still there's just not enough time. If I were a hermit with no life, it would probably be easier, but I like to get out and do things too much, so DVDs often get left behind.

das
Yeah, real rough life there - catching up on DVD's.

You have a social and family life??? Seriously now...how's that mathematically possible, unless you get 1 hour of sleep per night???

Dude, I think watching 2 shows at the same time is grounds for an intervention.
Old 01-31-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth hahn •<HR SIZE=1>Dude, I think watching 2 shows at the same time is grounds for an intervention. <HR SIZE=1>

I can quit any time. I'm in control.

das
Old 01-31-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i took the batteries out of one of my vcr's remotes to put in the directivo's. i love that thing.
Old 01-31-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Patman, you finally got a PVR?

That's awesome! I always thought you were a prime candidate.

It will change your life, brother.
Old 01-31-03, 11:13 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Now how exactly does the monkey boy get enough electricity channeled to his enclosure? Who shovels his poo? Peels his bananas?
Old 01-31-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

1) Solar power
2) I fling it at passersby
3) Attachment on my universal remote

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.