Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Best show on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best show on TV

Don't know if this has been done before, sure it has, but what does everyone think is the best show on TV right now? Give reasons. I'm sure there are gonna be a wide selection my best guesses of what will be picked include, Buffy, 24, Sopranos, Friends, CSI, the Simpsons.

My personal favorite is 24
I admit the concept is great, it has great acting and always surprises. I unfoirtunately missed the first season due to school. This 2 nd season has brought more sit up and say Oh my God moments then any other TV show. Coupled with the fact that I'm watching season 1 now on DVD and going through those moments on a consistent basis I'm simply awed at how intelligent and well put together that show is. I've finished through 8 a.m. on seasson 1.

What are your picks and reasons??
Old 01-18-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
definately 24...it's the only show I am always pumped up to see.
Old 01-18-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts
Of the shows I've seen (and I haven't seen 24), my favorite is "Andy Richter Controls The Universe". "Buffy" would probably be my second pick, even though I'm not really all that enthusiastic about it anymore. The only other series I watch regularly are "Angel" and (don't laugh...oh, okay, go ahead and laugh if you want) "Even Stevens".

As for why I picked "Andy Richter...", I find it almost indescribably funny. It's the type of show I wish I had the talent to put together.

If we're going for our all-time favorites, it'd be "Freaks and Geeks" without a moment's hesitation.
Old 01-18-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to say Gilmore Girls. It's the most consistantly funny/touching/entertaining show that's packed with many great lines in every episode. "That'll do pig" indeed...

If Firefly was still on the air, that'd be a strong contender too, but oh well. Other close contenders: The West Wing, Buffy, NYPD Blue and Alias.
Old 01-18-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Soprano's,no other show has the balls this show has.
Old 01-18-03, 05:50 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's usually several really good comedies on TV, so my favorite show on TV is usually a great drama since they seem to be rarer. That being said my favorite show on TV right now is a tie between The Shield and Angel. I think the quality of these 2 shows is as good as anything ever on TV. But I will say that I'm biased toward them for a couple reasons. First, they're both pretty dark and most movies and TV shows are scared to be too dark. But my favorite aspect of these 2 shows is that they're not afraid to have their storylines last not only a whole season, but even into the next season. I really hate how so many of the shows on TV have gone into having mostly standalone episodes.

Knowing this, you might expect me to love 24, but besides 2 or 3 excellent episodes, 24 has been very mediocre this year. I love everything they've done with Jack's character this year, but every other character on that show is horribly written. Also, the plot twists are pathetic compared to the plot twists on shows like Alias or Angel. Who didn't know
Spoiler:
Palmer's wife and the fiancee would both turn out bad
?
Old 01-18-03, 06:00 PM
Shawn

West Wing or Scrubs. West Wing is interesting, and Scrubs is one of the funniest shows on TV(I think).
Old 01-18-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

drama: Ed, with 24 close behind. the plots are charming and funny, but it still has a great degree of seriousness.

comedy: Scrubs, because The Simpsons are long past their heyday, and i don't watch any other comedies (except Friends, which i think is actually quite bland and blahblah.. don't know why i watch it really..)

reality: THE AMAZING RACE! it's a great premise and the cast is always entertaining...

OVERALL: i'm embarassed to admit it, but THE AMAZING RACE takes it, just by the shear energy of it.

-di doctor-

p.s. nny, you should put your little "details" about 24 in SPOILER boxes.
Old 01-18-03, 06:33 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 268 Likes on 203 Posts
Drama: 24 with Angel, The Shield, and Buffy folowing in that order

Comedy-Scrubs
Old 01-18-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oz and The Shield
Old 01-18-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
My favorites currently:

Farscape -- By far my favorite show right now
Futurama -- if only Fox would finish airing the episodes on a regular basis
Firefly -- Yeah it's cancelled but during this season it was one of the big 3

Buffy the vampire slayer
Angel

I don't know of any show on tv right now that approaches the quality of Farscape. It's a shame that four out of these five shows will be over at the end of this season

Michael
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts
Originally posted by DVDHO
Soprano's,no other show has the balls this show has.

I think Oz does, literally and figuratively.

I'll go with Oz, closely followed by CSI. West Wing and Law & Order were formerly the best dramas, but both have significantly fallen off from their best.

King of Queens is the best comedy.
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea 24 is prolly one of my favorites, its gets even better and more interesting each week.

I also like Friends, Simpsons, Scrubs, Smallville, Alias & The Sheild
Old 01-18-03, 07:16 PM

I'm stoked to hear such Angel praise. I like it better than buffy due to it's darker side. Well I all ready posted 24 but onoroble mention
west wing- great writing and characters
e.r. still solid after all these years
malcolm in the middle- pure genuis
law and order- consistent
scrubs- just good chemistry
tough enough- don't watch wrestling but caught this by mistake and was really impressed
gilmore girls- well done
curb your enthusiasm- fall down funny
the shield- ballsy

Obviously I don't have a chance to see all of these all the time but 24 is never missed
Old 01-18-03, 07:42 PM

[ready to be pummeled]birds of prey[/thashed] i did like it but it wasn't close to the best.

drama: i'd say west wing is my favorite show right now. it has the best drama writers i have seen in a long time and i am constantly excited for episodes whether old or new. and in recent months it is getting closer and closer to what sports night was. i just wish there were a way for me to watch it more than once a week. hear that sorkin? dvd sets!!! we want them now!!! after this would probably be ed followed by american dreams.

comedy: good morning miami as my current favorite. good fun comedy, no overdramatics or boring love relationships (ross and rachel should get out more). and the girl who plays penny gives me the hot. this would probably be followed by scrubs then friends.

reality: i saw someone post this here and i give them credit (but i forget who it was): reality sucks so reality tv sucks.

as for the absence of 24, i am not watching it. i planned on watching the whold dvd set before the current season but was unable, so i decided to wait for season 2 on dvd.

Last edited by WiccanPagan; 01-18-03 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-18-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Simpsons is still the show to beat comedy-wise despite the fact that FOX may be running this show into the ground a la Married With Children and The X-Files.

For drama, it's definitely 24. The Sopranos is still great but last season went nowhere despite some fantastic moments.
Old 01-18-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Overall: Scrubs

Drama: E. R., followed closely by Third Watch; NYPD Blue and Alias

Comedy: Scrubs (obviously), followed closely by Andy Richter...; That '70s Show; Friends (Joey is still funny) and Ed (which is more of a comedy than a drama to me)

Reality: Amazing Race

WB (has to be a whole separate category): Gilmore Girls, followed by Smallville and Dawson's Creek

Greatest Show Ever: Seinfeld - still takes the cake by a mile
Old 01-18-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best not favorite, right? You'll find a hard time getting a good evaluation of best since a lot of people around here only watch like 3-4 shows regularly.

Anyway, I enjoy 24, but it's way too predictable for my taste. Also, I can't vote for a show where a good 30 minutes of every hour is wasted on stupid crap there only to fill time. It amazes me so many are so enamored with this show. There are better "intense" shows like The Shield, Oz, and The Sopranos. There are better "cliffhanger" shows like Alias. And there are better written shows like [insert 50 shows here]. But to each his own. At least this season is so far avoiding the craptacular plot elements that ruined the second half of last season.

I'm going to have to agree with Red Dog that the writing on The West Wing has slipped a bit. However, I don't think anyone's really beating down the door to take their title. Oz would be a contender, but with only two episodes this season, I can't really make a valid evaluation of its content. Same with The Shield. So I'm sticking with The West Wing. This week's episode was brilliantly done, and though I think it's hanging on by a thin thread, it's still hanging on to the top spot in my book.

My favorite show right now is probably Alias, but I'm not diluded enough to say it's better than The West Wing. But it sure is damn cool.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 01-19-03 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-19-03, 12:20 AM

It amazes me so many are so enamored with this show. There are better "intense" shows like The Shield, Oz, and The Sopranos. There are better "cliffhanger" shows like Alias. And there are better written shows like [insert 50 shows here]. But to each his own
The only words that I tend to agree with are " to each his own" Although you didn't outright flame I'm curios why people tend to spout of thier own opinion by downplaying other people's opinions
Old 01-19-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth drexel •<HR SIZE=1>The only words that I tend to agree with are " to each his own" Although you didn't outright flame I'm curios why people tend to spout of thier own opinion by downplaying other people's opinions <HR SIZE=1>

To each his own means just that -- it's not for me, but maybe it's what someone else is looking for. If you want to take offense that I don't understand why so many people think 24 is the best show on TV, then more power to you. I didn't criticize you (or anyone else) for liking it -- it wasn't an "outright" flame or a flame of any kind. Perhaps you should be more curious why people tend to request opinions and reasons and then get offended when someone expresses them.

das
Old 01-19-03, 12:31 AM
Suspended

King of the Hill is currently my favorite.
Old 01-19-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Drama: The Shield, The Sopranos

Comedy: Scrubs
Old 01-19-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Drama: The Wire I Dont know if they can sustain it but the 1st season was amazing.

Comedy: King of the Hill, The Simpsons gets all the hype but KOTH is the only show that consistently makes me laugh out loud. Except for Autopsy on HBO.
Old 01-19-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Either Oz, Boston Public or CSI. Can't decide.
Old 01-19-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ed and Buffy. (that's 2 shows not 1)

Although, it might be a cool concept for a crossover.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.