Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Csi 01/16/03

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Csi 01/16/03

While HDTV makes shows look good, it's a very nice upgrade in actually seeing the detail of the evidence that gets uncovered/discovered each episode on CSI.

To me, shows like CSI and Without a Trace have become sort of like "The Love Boat" only in how guest stars show up on a weekly basis. These guest stars are actors who aren't working normally on TV shows or films currently, but still getting some face time.

Last night's episode feature the original Danny Noonan from Caddyshack (one of my all time favorite movies): Michael O'Keefe, and from Once and Again (Jessie): Evan Rachel Wood, who's been growing up right before our eyes it seems. The other case had the ubiquitously-obnoxious Joey Slotnick, last seen as being dispatched by Jack Bristow on Alias last season.

The case with O'Keefe and Wood was bizarre as it unravelled, and the clues provided by the perp was also rather unconventional, but even when you know the writer is trying to mislead you, the "truth" of the case is amazingly far out, and minutely plausible.

The case with Slotnick had lots of slice-n-dice autopsy details (pretty gory stuff in HD, to say the least). The resolution of the case seemed a bit forced, but as always, persistence is what gave them the break they needed to nail the perp in this case.
Old 01-17-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that could be Evan Rachel Wood but I wasn't sure. She looks different. She was so good on Once & Again.

This episode was better than last week's but there still seemed something "off" about it. (My husband fell asleep mid-way through).

The eyeball scenes were gory.
Old 01-17-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think both of the cases were just a bit too convoluted, so I could see why people would doze off.

I want to hear Evan sing once again, she's got a really pretty voice, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up when I hear it (Star Search, anyone).
Old 01-17-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was cool seeing "Noonan" again as the husband.

As soon as I saw him I knew I recognized him from something. It took me about ten mins. to come up with Caddyshack.
Also a longtime fave movie of mine.

*Patman, funny Loveboat analogy.*

Last night I checked on the cbs.com site to see if there was more info on this episode.
When I clicked on "Shows for 1/16-CSI", all they had was stuff from last week's "meatgrinder" episode.

Last night's show was decent but I think they are finding it tougher to come up with compelling stories without making them too hokey, sci-fi like, or over-done.
Old 01-17-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Csi 01/16/03

Originally posted by Patman
To me, shows like CSI and Without a Trace have become sort of like "The Love Boat" only in how guest stars show up on a weekly basis. These guest stars are actors who aren't working normally on TV shows or films currently, but still getting some face time.
Poor Joey Slotnik can't seem to stay on a series (Boston Public, Alias).

As soon as I saw him, I knew he would be the killer. He's too recognizable of an actor to just be a bystander in a case.
Old 01-17-03, 10:01 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I enjoyed last night's episode. Great Poe reference by Grissom at the beginning.
Old 01-17-03, 10:43 AM

Last night's episode feature the original Danny Noonan from Caddyshack (one of my all time favorite movies): Michael O'Keefe, and from Once and Again (Jessie): Evan Rachel Wood, who's been growing up right before our eyes it seems. The other case had the ubiquitously-obnoxious Joey Slotnick, last seen as being dispatched by Jack Bristow on Alias last season.
I have no idea who any of these people are, so the guest star thing obviously isn't working on me.

The whole eyeball thing seemed rather lame to me, but didn't gross me out in the least.

I'm starting to get bored with this show.
Old 01-17-03, 11:00 AM

Speaking of guest stars, was the car dealership woman with the dog someone famous? My wife claims to have recognized her from a sitcom, but of course couldn't remember which one.
Old 01-17-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a question for those who watched this episode in HD, was it not in 16x9 up until the opening credit montage kicked in? It seemed like someone at the local station forgot to flip on the HD switch (because the show before is Star Search, which is SDTV) until that early point in CSI.
Old 01-17-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
was it a rerun?
Old 01-17-03, 03:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I thought it was ok.

I thought the story with the snakes was kind of dumb and not that hard to figure out.

The other one was hard for me to follow because I had just watched Caddyshack on Wednesday and I kept thinking about the lines from the movie when ever Noonan came on.

I agree the cases aren't as good as they used to be, the sad thing is I don't know how much better they'll get now that they have another show to come up with stuff for.
Old 01-17-03, 03:50 PM
Banned

I liked both cases.
I was getting Michael O'Keefe mixed up with John Stockwell from Christine.
I dont think they should have spun off the show because they will run out of ideas that much quicker. Apparently the stars of the shows feel the same way and have spoken openly that not only CSI Miami shouldnt have been spun off but there are a few other shows copying them, maybe they meant Without a Trace.