Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Good News For Buffy/Angel Fans

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good News For Buffy/Angel Fans

Hi,
pulled this off of www.cincinnati.com which is the online site for The Cincinnati Enquirer. As this does not deal with anything plot specific to the show but rather a possible door being opened I did not label it a spoiler.

UPN has been talking to Buffy creator Joss Whedon "about a wide range of possibilities" because Sarah Michelle Gellar's contract expires this spring after eight seasons.

UPN, which acquired Buffy from WB two years ago, has been preparing four options, says Les Moonves, president and CEOof CBS, which owns UPN.

Contingencies include Ms. Gellar returning full-time or part-time to the show; doing a spin-off; or canceling it. "All of them right now are possible," he says.

Angel has moved from Monday to 9 p.m. Wednesday this month to bolster ratings before contract renewal talks start for the Buffy spin-off starring David Boreanaz.

Regardless of Angel's fate, Mr. Levin says he's given Mr. Whedon permission to reunite Buffy and Angel on UPN for Ms. Gellar's finale, if she's quitting the role.

"I told Joss that if it was creatively justified, and in the best interest of the show's storytelling, and something he feels is necessary, I certainly wouldn't stand in the way," Mr. Levin says.
Old 01-14-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let the show end. Let SMG move on. It's time. There are plenty of stories to be told on Angel.

As for Levin giving Joss permission for a reunion, that is indeed good news.

das
Old 01-14-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Neat.

I'd be happy to see them together "one last time."

Though stuff like that always makes me think of the "spin-off" episode of The Simpsons.

"And MAYBE their old friends The Simpsons will pay them a visit."
Old 01-14-03, 12:38 PM
Banned

Its been said before, dont let Buffy turn into X-files where it goes on too long and sours the memory of a great show.
Of course this is TV so who know but I hear that ratings are so-so so it may not be smart for them to renew.
Love the crossover idea though.

Id love to hear Buffys reaction to Angel and Cordy and Angel having a son.
Old 01-14-03, 02:02 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

A week or so ago, I saw an article about the ratings for shows in the first half of the season and I think they said Buffy is 109 in the ratings and UPN's lowest rated show, Twilight Zone is 114. I love Buffy, but I'd imagine UPN is losing a lot of money on it. I'm surprised they're still talking about renewing it. Hell, UPN passed on Firefly and it had better ratings than Angel and Buffy and it was in a much worse timeslot.
Old 01-14-03, 02:05 PM
Cool New Member

Great news about the potential crossover! I really hope it happens
Old 01-14-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
If SMG doesn't want back, they should just end the show rather than letting it turn into a disaster like The X-Files.

Some interesting possibilities for a spin-off do exist, though. I read somewhere, a spoiler site, that said Kennedy
Spoiler:
would survive the season

It might be interesting to have
Spoiler:
Dawn become a slayer and have Kennedy, who is older and probably better qualified, be a sort of sidekick or mentor. Watcher, maybe? And would Willow stick around for a spin-off? Does Alyson want out yet? Sounds like ASH has wanted to spend time with his family in the UK, so it's probably unlikely Giles would be around much.

At any rate, I think the important thing for a spin-off is for the show to have its own identity, rather than just trying to pick up where the original left with all of the characters who didn't want to leave. It will have to have its own dynamic and reason for being.
Old 01-14-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
At any rate, I think the important thing for a spin-off is for the show to have its own identity, rather than just trying to pick up where the original left with all of the characters who didn't want to leave. It will have to have its own dynamic and reason for being.
Just like Angel, which now functions on its own as a series without any ties to Buffy....except when Whedon decides to tie the two shows together (which I'm oppposed to)
Old 01-15-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nny
A week or so ago, I saw an article about the ratings for shows in the first half of the season and I think they said Buffy is 109 in the ratings and UPN's lowest rated show, Twilight Zone is 114. I love Buffy, but I'd imagine UPN is losing a lot of money on it. I'm surprised they're still talking about renewing it. Hell, UPN passed on Firefly and it had better ratings than Angel and Buffy and it was in a much worse timeslot.
Part of that is number of stations. Here, I only have a FOX affiliate, which shows Buffy at 11pm on Tuesday and quite often preempts it for football or whatever else they can find to bump it. I wish we did have a UPN station, if only for Buffy.