Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Snl 1/13

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snl 1/13

Jeff Gordon hosted, Avril Lavigne performed.

It was a rather disappointing episode. Jeff Gordan wasn't bad, but the writing was rather...how shall I put it...crappy? It just wasn't that funny, and many sketches failed, IMO. Sketches that were really bad were the Joe-Millionaire spoofs, and that Diana Ross drunk.

Weekend Update was ok, though. Avril Lavgine's performance was average, but then again, I've only see one good performance from her live (the Sessions@AOL acoustic set), the rest were a let-down.
Old 01-12-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This DOES NOT sound like the SNL that I know...

[/sarcasm]

Unfortunately, I saw this too. I really don't understand why/how people find this funny?

Once I figure that out, i'm gonna try figuring out why I leave it on my TV...
Old 01-12-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the first 20 or so minutes and couldn't stand it anymore. This show just plain sucks. I ususally just catch the old episodes on E! or Comedy Central now.
Old 01-12-03, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I take back what I said on Weekend Update...it actually was horrible, for the most part. The Jimmy Fallon Grammy thing just was stupid, and it was much more of a letdown than I thought.

I feel badly for Jeff Gordon, since it's not his fault: he didn't write the show, and he couldn't have really done any better. I recall seeing a clip of a rehearsal segment for one of those sketches involving the DeMarco brothers - ugh. I shouldn't really even bother, and neither should they: that skit sucks!
Old 01-12-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Another thing that's really beginning to annoy me is the way the host [and cast sometime] read the cue cards. Of course I could just be nostalgic, but was it EVER this bad??

Oh yeah, one more thing...Horatio & Jimmy f'n up and laughing during a sketch.
Old 01-12-03, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the Kin Jong II opening could have been better. that was the only real high point I could remember from this episode. the rest went to crap and I just decided to turn it off and pop in a dvd.
Old 01-12-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Didn't a radio team like in every market do a Joe Millionaire bit last week EXACTLY like the one SNL did last night? SNL is gonna get slammed for this across America come Monday.

In NYC, Ron and Fez did it VERBATIM on Tuesday right before noon......
Old 01-12-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was one of the worst SNLs in recent history. Compared to this, the Tom Green episode was good. I guess they cut the sketch with the dancing brothers (Parnell & Kattan) auditioning for Avril Lavigne. Thank God they did, although it is not like it could have brought the show to a lower level. They showed some of the dress rehearsal for that skit on Access Hollywood, and it was quite clear that AL was horrible. Her performances last night were horrible as well, IMO. Does this kid have any emotion? Were her feet glued down? I don't expect James Brown, but at least feign some interest in your own songs.

Jeff Gordon had a few screwups, but since he isn't an actor, it wasn't that big a deal. The writing was horrible. Can't Sanz and Fallon make it through one skit together without laughing? What are they laughing at? It can't be the skit, since they were horrible.

It was interesting to see the goodbyes at the end. The SNLers actually seemed embarassed to be there.
Old 01-12-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Gary Busey Star Dates sketch was pretty funny.
Old 01-12-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is with Avril Lavigne? If I has my eyes closed, I could have sworn I was listening to Alanis Morissette. Maybe it is because they are both Canadian.
Old 01-12-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't find this episode to be any worse than most of the others this season (and definately better than the Tom Green ep, IMHO). Gordon didn't do too badly; hell, he probably messed up and read off the cue cards less than DeNiro did, and he is considered one of our best actors. (No, I'm no Nascar fanboy - In fact I hate racing).

I liked "Joe Caucasian" and "Joe Dude" (was that Tina Fey? man she looked scary) Avril sucks, but at least she didn't lip-synch, like half of the female artists that appear on SNL.
Old 01-12-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"This weeks musical guest brought to you by Budwieser."

Budwieser?!?

Isn't Avril Lavigne like 15 years old?!?
Old 01-12-03, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by Phil L.

Budwieser?!?

How about:
"This weeks musical guest brought to you by Crack!" i.e. You'd have to be on Crack to be watching this HORRIBLE show!

I could barely get through 20 min's of this show. It sucks that all the good cast members have left. You know if Sherri O'teri and Will Ferrel were still on, they'd have been the NASCAR couple in the stands during the monologue. There aren't any strong characters anymore.
Old 01-12-03, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Though overall the episode was pretty crappy, I still say Weekend Update prevented from being the worst episode ever.
Old 01-12-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by movieking
it was quite clear that AL was horrible. Her performances last night were horrible as well, IMO. Does this kid have any emotion? Were her feet glued down? I don't expect James Brown, but at least feign some interest in your own songs.
That's the thing--they're not her own songs. Didn't a team of like three-to-five people out in Hollywood write nearly everything on her album? She may have written a song or two. . .
Old 01-12-03, 02:01 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
I seen who the host and musical guest were and decided not to watch. Looks like I made the right decision.
Old 01-12-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Phil L.

Budwieser?!?

She's 18. That's legal in Canada. Oh, and according to the liner notes, she has writing credits on all of her songs, along with some mystery person named "The Matrix".

And if you want to see an actual good performance from her - check out the Sessions@AOL performance. I liked it. (Broadband, Real Player).

Hate to play FanBoy here, but I don't think she deserves to be trashed.
Old 01-12-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I fell asleep right before the episode started, and I guess I didn't miss much.

Movieking, I too am totally sick of seeing Fallon and Sanz pretend to crack each other up during a sketch. They're trying to recreate Tim Conway/Harvey Korman vibe and make the crap writing seem funnier than it is, but "The Carol Burnett Show" was leagues above SNL and Conway & Korman were master ad-libbers.

Honk!
Old 01-12-03, 05:00 PM

definitely not the worst episode ever, but not the greatest either. listening to sanz' korean in the begining was pretty funny, and i can't say that avril did terrible, she has had many worse performances in the past, and i thought she did pretty well in her first number. also the joe millionaire spoof's were good, but i thought they were pushing it with joe not-a-rapist. over not too crappy an episode.
Old 01-12-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by freedexter
according to the liner notes, she has writing credits on all of her songs, along with some mystery person named "The Matrix".
Yeah, and I believe "The Matrix" is the group of three-to-five Hollywood lawyer/producer-types who wrote everything on the album and changed her persona from Shania Twain-wannabe to "sk8er punk girl" or whatever she pretends to be. . .
Old 01-13-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, we all know the show sucks.

It has for several years now.

I can usually only make it through a whole 90 minute show
if I really like the host or something.

Jeff Gordon is not a reason for me to tune in.

Then again, neither were Rudy Giuliani or Garth Brooks and they were two of the best hosts (performance-wise) that I've ever seen.
Old 01-13-03, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only the Joe Millionaire was worth remembering. The black man and then the rapist then the woman.
Old 01-13-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
"I can't wait to get these 20 white women pregnant"

I thought the Busey was pretty darn funny. "...all their fingers were lit up except for their E.T. finger..."

Also, the clone thing on weekend update was pretty funny, especially the baby arm sticking out of the clone's head.
Old 01-13-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth cdollaz •<HR SIZE=1>Also, the clone thing on weekend update was pretty funny, especially the baby arm sticking out of the clone's head. <HR SIZE=1>

It would have been better had it not been Krplxlplk, Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton's love child from a few years ago. Same exact costume, from the arm to the drool.

I too liked the Gary Busey stuff, and I'll give Jeff Gordon credit for not sucking. The writing was complete crap, though, so that pretty much killed it.

das
Old 01-13-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Another Busey line... "I liked her 'cause she didn't have the arm strength to remove my mitt from her pooper."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.