Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy fans: when should I start watching Angel?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 11:00 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Angel Season One was being released in February. I have only seen Buffy through Season Two. After reading a review at Amazon, I realize that maybe I am too early into the Buffy series to start watching Angel. (I don't want to be ruined by an spoiler that might creep up in Angel). So, can anyone help me: after which Buffy season should I start watching Angel?
Old 12-20-02, 11:03 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is more related to the continuity between the two television shows, rather than the discs themselves... moving to TV Talk.
Old 12-20-02, 11:04 AM

Watch Buffy Season 4 and Angel Season 1 at the same time. Some storylines are done through crossover episodes.
-r
Old 12-20-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angel leaves buffy at the end of season three, so after you watch season 3 you can watch Angel
Old 12-20-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems like the last two posts are contradicting each other (a bit).

Can someone watch Seasons 1-3 of Buffy, then watch Angel Season 1... or should you watch Seasons 1-3 of Buffy, then watch Buffy 4/Angel 1 simultaneously?
Old 12-20-02, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
It seems like the last two posts are contradicting each other (a bit).

Can someone watch Seasons 1-3 of Buffy, then watch Angel Season 1... or should you watch Seasons 1-3 of Buffy, then watch Buffy 4/Angel 1 simultaneously?
Buffy 4 and Angel 1 were originally shown simulaneously, so if you're a stickler for sequencing, you could wait until Buffy 4 comes out and do an alternating episode viewing... There are cross-over episodes, a few of which are nearly (but not exactly) Part 1/Part 2 continuations...

But having said that, I don't think it matters much whether you watch Angel 1 first or Buffy 4 first or both together. Since Angel 1 is coming out earlier, I'd just watch it after Buffy 3 myself--but then I've seen it all before...
Old 12-20-02, 04:43 PM
MrN

You should wait for Buffy 4 to come out and then watch it at the same time as Angel 1.
Old 12-20-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You don't need to watch all of Angel 1 and Buffy 4 silmutaneously, there are 3 crossovers in Angel season 1:

I WILL REMEMBER YOU is actually a stand-alone episode featuring Buffy, FIVE BY FIVE and SANCTUARY are the conclusion to the Faith storyline, and should be viewed after the Buffy 4 episode WHO ARE YOU (which was the final appearance of Faith on Buffy.) None of them are part of a "To Be Coninued on Angel."
Old 12-20-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Maliboo's forgetting 'The Harsh Light of Day', which started on Buffy (Spike seeks out a ring that offers him invincibility) and directly continues into the Angel episode "In The Dark". The Angel episode includes appearances by Seth Green and James Marsters.
Old 12-21-02, 12:52 AM

I also have seen only the first two seasons of buffy. I intend to buy season three, but I'm not sure about the seasons afterward. Is season 4 worth buying? And do I really have to watch Angel season 1 at all? Does buffy have any more significant storylines with him? I ask, because I'm not interested in his character.

Also, ever since watching Becoming part II, I've been wondering how Angel comes back from hell (right?) to get his own show. Anyone?
Old 12-21-02, 02:11 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by minguy
I also have seen only the first two seasons of buffy. I intend to buy season three, but I'm not sure about the seasons afterward. Is season 4 worth buying? And do I really have to watch Angel season 1 at all? Does buffy have any more significant storylines with him? I ask, because I'm not interested in his character.
Season 4 was probably my least favorite season. The big bad was lame and so were most of the storylines. The only major things that happen are it's the season Spike got his chip and Riley Finn was introduced. He was her boyfriend after Angel and he lasted I think almost all of season 4 and the first third of season 5.

Originally posted by minguy
Also, ever since watching Becoming part II, I've been wondering how Angel comes back from hell (right?) to get his own show. Anyone?
The first evil, the same one from this season, brought him back to kill Buffy at the start of season 3.
Old 12-21-02, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by MrX

The first evil, the same one from this season, brought him back to kill Buffy at the start of season 3.
Ok, I have no idea who you're talking about but I guess I'll find out for myself.

So David Boreanaz comes back? I assumed season 2 was the end of his character till he got his own show. At the very least, I didn't think he'd show up so soon after the trauma of Becoming part ii. Geez, things must get pretty complicated in season 3... can't wait!!!

Last edited by minguy; 12-21-02 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-22-02, 03:10 AM
MrN

Originally posted by MrX

Actually, Angel is brought back by 'The Powers That Be' because he figures in a future Armageddon.

The first evil only figures in one episode of Buffy Season 3 (AFAIK).
Old 12-23-02, 01:27 PM

IMHO season 4 was my least favorite as well, but I really liked season five - season four did have some good episodes and character development though.
Old 12-23-02, 02:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally posted by MrN
Actually, Angel is brought back by 'The Powers That Be' because he figures in a future Armageddon.

The first evil only figures in one episode of Buffy Season 3 (AFAIK).
In that episode in season 3 the first tells him this is "why we brought you back" in reference to killing Buffy. 'The Powers that Be' were never introduced in Buffy IIRC. It wouldn't surprise me if their were 2 explanations since alot of things on this show have that, like who turned Spike into a Vamp has 2 different ways it happened.