Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Law & Order: Crime and Punishment

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-04, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crime & Punishment 6/26

This case involved domestic violence where the lived in boyfriend was accused of murdering his girlfriend.

The prosecutor had no physical evidence to tie him to murdering his girlfriend.

Major questions that did not get answered-

1. She was shot several times yet he did not own a gun. Never found a gun. Didn't they test for residue on his hands?

2. There was a bloody footprint and they did not tie that to him either.

This was almost an 100% circumstantial case that in my opinion did not meet the burden of proof to establish reasonable doubt.

Yet if you seen this show you can predict the outcome- guilty of murder.

The defense lawyer did a very poor job.
Old 06-27-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there was probably way too much of the trial we didn't see. I was amazed that the defense attorney called only one witness and she was just a character witness (unless there were others we weren't shown).
Old 06-27-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The show clearly wanted to spend a majority of time on the grief of the son and the mother, so you have to assume there was an incredible amount of stuff not shown.

I felt a little uncomfortable about the lack of information, but keep in mind that the detective found two .22 caliber cartridges on the nightstand, the riflescope in the desk, and the box of bullets on the mattress, loosely covered by the blanket. The "didn't own a gun" defense doesn't wash. Someone in that house had a gun.

As shown, the case was pretty circumstantial, but I have to assume there was more.

I didn't see a thread on it, but I thought last week's episode was fantastic. The plea bargaining discussions had me in tears with laughter.

das
Old 06-27-04, 06:23 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I didn't see a thread on it, but I thought last week's episode was fantastic. The plea bargaining discussions had me in tears with laughter.

das
10 years and 1 day

I think their was alot left out last night also. Testimony and evidence doesn't make interesting television like a screaming son on a 911 tape does is probably what the producers thought..
Old 06-28-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
This week's episode was garbage. Given what the viewer was told, the case would have been laughed out of court. The only slightly incriminating fact was the defendant's three separate accounts of his activities that night.
Old 07-11-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crime & Punishment - 7/10

The program profiled two cases this past Saturday, one of which was the prosecution of the "Bumfights" punks. These are the kids who paid vagrants $5 to beat the crap out of each other in front of a camera crew, and ended up profiting to the tune of $6 million in video sales.

I was so livid when I saw the smirks and disdain on the faces of these little shits that I could have jumped through the TV. Somebody should give them a good beatdown, and then we'll see how funny it is; maybe they'll learn some compassion. Unfortunately, the judge's hands were tied, and he couldn't give them any jail time.
Old 07-11-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Crime & Punishment - 7/10

• Norm de Plume •

Somebody should give them a good beatdown
Give me some alcohol and $10, and I'll kick their ass. I may even toss one through a glass window. Scum.

das
Old 07-11-04, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a plan! On second thought, I don't condone violence of any kind, even if these pieces of trash bring out the bloodlust in me. They, and jubilant animal torturers.
Old 07-12-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Norm de Plume •

On second thought, I don't condone violence of any kind
Not a problem ... I do.

das
Old 07-12-04, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Made me sick as well. Even the disrespect with how they talked to the woman on the video who asked them if they had any conscience. I was hoping for a long jail sentence with each one of them being someone's bitch.

Even though he was an alcoholic, and did agree to it, I felt bad for the guy with Bumfights tattooed on his forehead.
Old 07-12-04, 10:31 AM
Cool New Member

I missed some of it but why was the judges hands tied?
When the defense attorney was talking to the press and said they would probably make another video, man, that made me furious and disgusted with all of them as human beings.

Also the guy caught jerking off. No doubt what he was doing. The jury gave him the benifit of the doubt and I think felt sorry for his wife.
Old 07-12-04, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by MikeL.
Also the guy caught jerking off. No doubt what he was doing. The jury gave him the benifit of the doubt and I think felt sorry for his wife.
I wonder what happened to him later though. To have everyone know you drink before you coach high school kids cannot be good thing to have hanging over you.