TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

De Niro hosting SNL tonight (12/7)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
De Niro hosting SNL tonight (12/7)

Anyone else looking forward to this?

De Niro has some great comedic skill, but he really keeps it hidden well. I remember when Pesci and him interrupted Jim Bruer's Joe Pesci Show sketch. That was hilarious.

Anyhow, I hope Bobby D doesn't fall flat, although the current SNL cast and writing staff has left me seriously unimpressed thus far.
Old 12-07-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet, I might have to make this the first SNL I watch this season. They aren't still doing those dumb musical sketches are they? It seemed like every time I watched it last season, they did a ton of musical sketches.
Old 12-07-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I''m looking forward to Norah. That's the only sure thing that's not going to suck.

I'm really hoping Bobby D doesn't let SNL drag him down.

And I agree...that Pesci/DeNiro skit was f'n hilarious.
Old 12-07-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
who are you supposed to be?

collin quin, remote control
Old 12-07-02, 06:07 PM

Re: De Niro hosting SNL tonight (12/7)

Originally posted by LBPound
Anyone else looking forward to this?

De Niro has some great comedic skill, but he really keeps it hidden well. I remember when Pesci and him interrupted Jim Bruer's Joe Pesci Show sketch. That was hilarious.

Anyhow, I hope Bobby D doesn't fall flat, although the current SNL cast and writing staff has left me seriously unimpressed thus far.
how long do you think we will have to wait until we see a Taxi Driver parody?....SNL does seem to be going through that once every-5-years-or-so-growing-period where the show tries to find itself. As for DeNiro, he is still a wonderful actor but I kind of miss the days when a Robert DeNiro movie meant something. I certainly respect a guy who is making a living, well, let me just leave it at that.
Old 12-08-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
My god....that opening had me rolling on the floor. It's been a while since SNL has consistently made me laugh for as long as that opening.

The rest of the show hit and mostly miss....but that opening was worth it.
Old 12-08-02, 12:21 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The opening was great. The Peter Pan skit was good and so was the UN weapon inspectors. The rest was ok.

"I like my tinkerbells to be life-sized, with a nice rack"
Old 12-08-02, 12:42 AM

Yeah I liked the weapons inspector bit.. that's what SNL needs to stick with, short skits that have 1 or 2 really funny jokes and then move on! these long drawn out skits just lose it after a while..
Old 12-08-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not bad at all, they had some funny stuff tonight. Unfortunately, DeNiro was one of the worst hosts of recent memory. It was almost as if he didn't even show up for rehearsal or read a script until show time.

Honk!
Old 12-08-02, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
He sure did have a lot of flubs, but the thing that stood out was that he continued on after them and I'm sure as you well know, if someone flubs and makes light of it it's more noticed and remembered then when someone screws up a line and continues on as normal.
Old 12-08-02, 10:26 AM

did anyone notice how short and unfunny deniro's openning monologue was? probably the worst one i've ever seen.
Old 12-08-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was he completely reading from cue cards on some sketches? Seemed like it.

I thought it was okay. Not hilariously funny, but the Weapons Inspectors sketch was great. The monologue was pretty good. His timing seemed to be kind of off...sketches would seem to just end, without the definitive ending laugh.

Harvey Keitel showing up was just funny in a random way, but not much more. Overall, it was just okay.

But the one where he was telling Chris Kattan a bedtime story seemed like he was reading the whole thing off cue cards.
Old 12-08-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Opener was hilarious and Norah Jones was really good
In the Peter Pan sketch the kids were funny and Bobby D. was servicable but he did seem to be phoning it in overall.The Weapons Inspectors and opening skits being the exceptions.
Old 12-08-02, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Next week host is AL GORE!!

What in the world is going on? McCain was the first political figure to host the SNL ever and suddenly SNL has already invited 2 political figures for the show in the same season?!

Not that I'm complaining, as matter fact the exact opposite, I'm very looking forward to the next week SNL. It should be just as funny as McCain's show!!
Old 12-08-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SuperJim88
Next week host is AL GORE!!

What in the world is going on? McCain was the first political figure to host the SNL ever and suddenly SNL has already invited 2 political figures for the show in the same season?!

Not that I'm complaining, as matter fact the exact opposite, I'm very looking forward to the next week SNL. It should be just as funny as McCain's show!!
McCain was hardly the first political figure to ever host....Guiliani did it a while back...Steve Forbes hosted....Donald Trump hosted....I remember in the 70s when Ford's press secretary Ron Nessen hosted and the white house was not amused....didn't go over well at all.

Those are just a few off the top of my head...but there have been many more over the years.....

edit to add: Ralph Nader hosted....Ed Koch hosted....Ron Reagan (jr.) hosted....and there have been plenty of political cameos as well (Janet Reno comes to mind...)...

Last edited by HistoryProf; 12-08-02 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-08-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

that was the worst snl in a long long time. deniro was just reading the cue cards all night long, and sucks at live comedy.
Old 12-08-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the opening, it seemed like he was reading but almost laughing trying not to laugh.
Old 12-08-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DeNiro did seem like he phoned the whole thing in.

Jimmy Fallon on Weekend Update had a good line and got in a Sopranos dig.

It was something like:

"In the opening season of the Sopranos, they made families feel OK to be in therapy."
"This season, they made families feel OK to be boring."
Old 12-08-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Phil L.
DeNiro did seem like he phoned the whole thing in.

Jimmy Fallon on Weekend Update had a good line and got in a Sopranos dig.

It was something like:

"In the opening season of the Sopranos, they made families feel OK to be in therapy."
"This season, they made families feel OK to be boring."
I'm pretty sure this is another recycled joke. This time i'm pretty sure it's from John Stewart. In fact, I think it was reprinted in Entertainment Weekly [which is where I read it].

As far as the show goes, I fell asleep so I was spared what I think [based on the above posts] was the misery of this show. I am mad I missed Norah though. Hopefully someone'll post it on USEnet.

Oh well.
Old 12-08-02, 09:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I watched a few of the skits and wasn't all that impressed. The Peter Pan was probably the best of all of them.
Old 12-08-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The opening was amusing, I did like Harvey Keitel's cameo, but the rest was sooooooo lame.
Too bad.
Old 12-08-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Regarding politicians hosting the show, Jesse Jackson hosted in the 80s, and I think Paul Simon - the Democratic Senator with the bow-tie, no the singer - might've hosted as well (unless it was just a guest cameo).
Old 12-09-02, 01:17 AM

Deniro can only do so much with horrible writing. The weapons inspectors bit was the only good one. I thought the rest were just plain bad. Not funny.
Old 12-09-02, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Bad writing is really to blame with at least a little of him not taking stuff to memory would be a good helping hand on why some of you thought so bad about this episode.

the ending to most of the skits weren't funny. pretty sad
Old 12-09-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by gross@iastate
Deniro can only do so much with horrible writing. The weapons inspectors bit was the only good one. I thought the rest were just plain bad. Not funny.
whether the writing is bad or not, he should still memorize it

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.