TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Grounded for Life moving to the WB

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 12:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Grounded for Life moving to the WB

** Grounded for Life switches to the WB

The sitcom about young parents trying to raise their kids, which has aired only twice on FOX this season, is moving to The WB in the spring.

"We believe 'Grounded for Life' has a tremendous upside," WB Entertainment president Jordan Levin says. "It is one of the highest-rated shows on television in our demos, especially with young men, which is an audience we are growing."

Now in its third season, "Grounded" stars Donal Logue and Megyn Price as Sean and Claudia Finnerty, a working-class Boston couple who got married as teenagers and now have three kids of their own.

In its two airings this season -- both in September -- the show has averaged 8.3 million viewers. It's also done well among the teen and young-adult viewers The WB targets.

It has been pre-empted since then, first by the major league baseball playoffs and more recently by repeats of its Tuesday lead-in, "That '70s Show."

The show is expected to return to FOX for a brief period in December before jumping to the Frog, which will air six original episodes this season. The WB also gets rights to rerun past episodes as part of the deal.

Although The WB hasn't slotted "Grounded for Life" yet, news reports say it will likely become part of the network's Friday comedy block. FOX may schedule the "American Idol" results show in the 8:30 p.m. Tuesday spot the show is vacating.
Old 11-19-02, 12:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The WB? No doubt they'll "retool" the show to focus more on a new wacky neighbor played by Coolio.
Old 11-19-02, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well FOX blows it again big time. This is a great show that keeps me laughing out loud. I wondered where the hell the show had gone. It's the only show on my TIVO that says 'no upcoming episodes'!

Chris
Old 11-19-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i was wondering what happened to the show. I looked it up yestersday, and it was still on the Fox website. I can't believe they get rid of another great show. I despise Fox, and I sure hope the WB doesn't put it on Friday nights.
Old 11-19-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This show is great. I can't wait to start watching it again.
Old 11-19-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
too bad Fox chose this show over Titus to renew since they didn't really want Grounded.
Old 11-19-02, 03:38 PM

They didn't want Titus either. Titus was getting decent enough ratings to be renewed.
Old 11-19-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree ... this is a great show. WB's actually putting together a decent comedy line-up.

das
Old 11-19-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Henry Finnerty (jumping on parents' bed in one of Mom's old bridesmaid dresses) - "Look at me! I'm a LADY!"

Old 11-19-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually enjoyed the handful of episodes I caught. Beats the pants off of "Funniest Wedding Outtakes" or whatever else is filling up the slots between "24" and "The Simpsons".

Oh, and maybe they can kill two birds with one stone by cancelling "Sabrina" and putting "Grounded" in its place. It's not like "Sabrina" is getting Emmy nominations or anything...
Old 11-19-02, 07:55 PM
Banned

This is one of the main shows I looked forward to every week, Damn you FOX. Putting it in the friday time slot on the WB is sure to put one of my fravs six feet under.
Old 11-19-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
We can only hope this means the WB will put Sabrina out of our misery.
Old 11-19-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is also one of the few sitcoms currently on that I will actually make a point to watch.
Old 11-19-02, 10:26 PM

At least now I don't have to worry about it being on in place of a show I actually like.
Old 11-20-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Grounded for Life moving to the WB

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Now in its third season, "Grounded" stars Donal Logue and Megyn Price as Sean and Claudia Finnerty, a working-class Boston couple who got married as teenagers and now have three kids of their own.
They're not from BOSTON! They're from NYC!!!!! Don't they live in a 'burb like Staten Island? During the opening credits they show the family at the top of the Statue of Liberty. Nice fact checking - YEESH!
Old 11-20-02, 09:14 AM

Another Dumbass Fox move. No wonder why none of their shows get good reatings. The audience is in constant fear of them just dropping their favorite shows.
Old 11-20-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From yesterday's Washington Post:

Fox is canceling its sitcom "Grounded for Life" -- but the show will be moving over to WB.

WB is likely to package it with "Reba" on Friday -- the same night that WB airs its ABC castoff, "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch."

Fox didn't appear to have much faith in the Carsey-Werner comedy, which is supposed to air Tuesdays at 8:30 p.m. after "That '70s Show."

"Grounded" aired just twice at the very start of the season before being preempted for baseball. There was one week during all the baseball games when Fox could have run "Grounded" in its Tuesday time slot but instead aired an episode of "Cedric the Entertainer." And while Fox had always planned to run two back-to-back original episodes of "That '70s Show" from 8 to 9 p.m. on the Tuesday that "24" debuted, the network then decided to continue to double-run "The '70s Show" on Tuesdays for the remainder of the November sweeps.

Fox will continue to broadcast -- or not -- "Grounded" through January.

WB cannot debut the show until after the February sweeps.

Fox allowed the unusual arrangement, one source with knowledge of the deal said, because it has a financial stake in the show and therefore an interest in seeing it amass enough episodes to go into off-network syndication.
Does that make ANY sense? "Uh we don't want the show CANCELLED because we wanna re-run it later, but we'd rather show THE GLUTTON BOWL 2 and That 70's Show re-runs instead of airing the initial/original programming of Grounded for Life."

HELLO! Who is running that network!!!!!
Old 11-20-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oh man does this mean that WB is also going to get UNDECLARED dare do I say.

OH man that show was great also.