Search this Thread

Old 11-14-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're still missing the issue. Hoshi.

das
Old 11-14-02, 01:53 PM
razorbackfan

Remember this is a tv show, and there are these guys on the Paramount lot who scream when you go over budget. Doing things "right" would be way cost prohibitive. It's just tv and entertainment, not science.
Old 11-14-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I shouldn't need to explain the difference between the creative license Trek typically uses to allow everyone to speak English and what they're doing on Enterprise. Shame on me? Not this time.

das
Yes you should. There are still some of us who believe in Terk, regardless of what Dumb&Dumber are doing to it.

There are some elements of this show that shouldn't need to be explained, regardless of what D&D are doing to it.

To have to go thru the explanation of why everybody speaks English, why warp drive works, why N'Pol's tits are so big...

C'mon das! There are much easier ways to rag on this show than to pretend you work for TNN...

I understand (and agree with) what you're saying. But, remember, there are still folks who like it in its current incarnation.
Old 11-14-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
don't they have limited translators that only have what Hoshi puts into them (vs the adpative ones TNG had that automatically adapted to new languages)
Old 11-14-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>Yes you should. There are still some of us who believe in Terk, regardless of what Dumb&Dumber are doing to it.

There are some elements of this show that shouldn't need to be explained, regardless of what D&D are doing to it.

To have to go thru the explanation of why everybody speaks English, why warp drive works, why N'Pol's tits are so big...

C'mon das! There are much easier ways to rag on this show than to pretend you work for TNN...

I understand (and agree with) what you're saying. But, remember, there are still folks who like it in its current incarnation.
<HR SIZE=1>

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post or how it relates to what I posted. My comment had nothing to do with how much Enterprise sucks in comparison to other Trek shows. I don't need to know why aliens all speak English in science fiction or why spaceships make "whoosh" sounds in space. I've accepted these things as creative license. I do, however, need to know why we've had multiple episodes developing the unique and essential nature of the Hoshi character with regard to interaction among alien races when they apparently have universal translators lying around for use when the plot deems it appropriate.

das
Old 11-14-02, 02:54 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always thought Hoshi's duty was interpreting signals and communication devices like Uhura did. Languages is on the side if the universal translator equipment cant figure out the syntax of any given language.
Old 11-14-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
I'm sorry, but I don't understand this post or how it relates to what I posted.
Perhaps it’s because you’ve confused the issue by your initial post. Save Ferris’s response speaks to that.

The issue that you really want to speak of, that Hoshi is a dunsel (sp?), could lead down a slippery spoiler slope.

IMO, of course.
Old 11-14-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Confusion ... gotta love it.

das
Old 11-14-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just not enough Vulcans around here...

Old 11-14-02, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TRANSPORTERS!!!

Another wasted hour of my life I wont get back
Old 11-14-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
By this time in their runs, TNG had given us "The Measure of a Man".

DS9 had delivered "Duet."

Voyager had delivered, uh... well... nothing. And we all know how that one turned out.

I haven't even bothered catching the Sunday night rerun of this show for the last two weeks. Last week's episode hit an historic low for broadcast Trek. I guess the point I'm getting to is this: Don't be so sure about that 7 year guarantee, folks.
Old 11-14-02, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by Save Ferris
I always thought Hoshi's duty was interpreting signals and communication devices like Uhura did. Languages is on the side if the universal translator equipment cant figure out the syntax of any given language.
Did you just start watching this season? She's always been the translator / communications officer, so Uhura +some actually.
Old 11-15-02, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
the MP5s with Beta C mags were cool
B&B already destroyed continuity
they did get that cloaked ship in the season premiere though, archer used it to get back to enterprise so it didn't appear out of no where just for this episode
Actually, they sent that one back with Silik.

This is the one they got in the series premiere, the one they hooked in the atmosphere of the gas giant and went to the helix to rescue Klaang the Klingon.

Matt
Old 11-17-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm still scratching my head on why they didn't just use the teleporter to teleport the communicator out of there. Once they had located the device, all they needed to do was tell Enterprise to lock in on their signal, and that would have been that. No long drawn out episode about how willing Archer was to die so that a civilation would not learn about new technology from their presence (which he failed miserably at anyhow).

The other part of the lazy writing is about the language issue. I understand that members of Enterprise have this babelfish device that allows them to understand other languages once it's been synthesized by Hoshi and her devices, but why would the planet's military officer understand anything T'Pol said via the communication trying to hail Archer? The language T'Pol was using should have been the normal one they use in Starfleet (one would guess it's English or some form of it), but to expect that the planet's officer would also understand T'Pol via the communication stretches credulity even further.
Old 11-17-02, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Someone on usenet brought up the fact that the communicators had some sort of universal translator device. I don't buy it. Even if it did, that transmission was intended just for the Capt., so there was no reason it would have been in any language other than Standard. Even if it wasn't, the aliens didn't say anything to it, and for tactical reasons there would be no reason for the devices to just translate everything that it transmits. That would be stupid.

But there are been lots of non-sensical errors on Enterprise for the past 2 seasons. Things that anyone with common sense (not just Trekies, Trekers etc) would be able to reason out. Pretty basic stuff; It's like they don't even care anymore. This does not bode well for Nemesis.

Here's another one: Maclcom is the tactical (and sort of the unofficial security) officer, so why wasn't he or Archer smart enough to figure out that their cell might be bugged? As soon as they get into the cell they start gabbing about their ship and stuff. What are they, morons? They're certainly written that way.

Sad really.
Old 11-18-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm starting to realize that many of the shows strongest episodes have been the non-planet ones.

Maybe it's the lack of caves or the lower probability of Archer getting his ass kicked.

Matt
Old 11-18-02, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wait......aliens don't speak english???

if i've learned anything from tv, it's that aliens *do* speaking english. so do animals and appliances.

crankky.
Old 11-18-02, 07:56 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok,

Maybe the writing is not so hot, or seems that way, but don't forget that everyone seems to agree that TNG didn't really hit it's stride until season 3.

Plus, as long as my TiVO continues to record Enterprise there is always subcommander T'Pol:

Old 11-18-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by crankyman
wait......aliens don't speak english???

if i've learned anything from tv, it's that aliens *do* speaking english. so do animals and appliances.

crankky.
No, no, no...

1) All aliens speak their own native lanugage.
2) The universal translator, the babelfish, or the translator microcrobes just make it sound like English.
3) Then a wizard waves his magic wand to make their lips move that way, too.
Old 11-18-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You mean one of these?

Old 11-18-02, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
No, that ain't no magic wand. But you sure smell purty.
Old 11-18-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Aw, Mongo straight."