Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC & Steve Martin ink deal on gay mystery series

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
ABC & Steve Martin ink deal on gay mystery series

It's called -- I kid you not -- Mr. and Mr. Nash -- Alan Cumming has already signed, Steve's just producing...

ABC, Steve Martin in Gay Murder Mystery
Tue Nov 12, 2:03 AM ET
By Michael Schneider

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - ABC is developing a gay version of "Hart to Hart," in which a pair of interior decorators stumble upon a murder each week.

The network has ordered a script for "Mr. and Mr. Nash," and Alan Cumming ("Cabaret") has signed to play one of the leads.

The project is being developed by Steve Martin's production company, along with Carsey-Werner-Mandabach, the banner behind "That '70s Show."

"I am proud to be a part of 'Mr. and Mr. Nash,' especially the part where it's a big hit," said Martin, who was recently announced as host of next year's Academy Awards.

His partner in the Martin/Stein Co., Joan Stein, described the concept as "fun and silly." She said the producers will shortly launch a casting call to find a partner for Cumming's character.

Robert Palm ("Law & Order: Special Victims Unit") will pen the script, and serve as executive producer with Martin and Stein. Cumming is set to appear in the upcoming features "Nicholas Nickleby" and "X-Men 2."
I dunno -- I'm pretty sure the world doesn't need a cross between Murder She Wrote and Will & Grace -- especially by way of La Cage Aux Folles... I get awfully tired of poorly done "campy queen" humor -- heck, I sometimes get tired of it even when it's well done... Still, I like Alan Cumming a lot...

Any ideas who should play his better half? I'll sample it for sure, but at this point I'm wary... This could be fresh and hilarious -- or very, very stale...

Last edited by adamblast; 11-12-02 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-12-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, while I'm pleased to see another primetime show will have leading characters who are gay, and while I'm pleased to see Alan Cumming getting a series ........ why perpetuate sterotypes with interior decorators ???

It shouldn't take too much creativity to come up with some other occupational fields that would give them the opportunity to intersect with various people each week ..... cable installers, landscapers, owners of a moving company, real estate agents, etc.

I guess I should be grateful they're not hairdressers...
Old 11-12-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should be lion tamers like Siegfried and Roy.
Old 11-12-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888
Well, while I'm pleased to see another primetime show will have leading characters who are gay, and while I'm pleased to see Alan Cumming getting a series ........ why perpetuate sterotypes with interior decorators ???

It shouldn't take too much creativity to come up with some other occupational fields that would give them the opportunity to intersect with various people each week ..... cable installers, landscapers, owners of a moving company, real estate agents, etc.

I guess I should be grateful they're not hairdressers...
I gotta agree, more or less... It would have to be extremely well done and hilarious for me to "not care" that they've taken one of the oldest cliches in the book as their premise -- and a pretty insulting one at that, at least the way gay decorators have usually been handled in movies & TV...

Last edited by adamblast; 11-12-02 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
They should simply take the same premise as the original "Hart to Hart". He was a millionaire businessman, and she was originally a reporter. Why don't they just use the same jobs?
Old 11-12-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sherm42
Why don't they just use the same jobs?
Then they wouldn't be able to use the word "chintz" five times in the pilot episode...
Old 11-12-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I mean I know it's TV and all, and reality isn't exactly what they're going for but how often is an interior decorator going to stumble upon a murder? 23 times a season??? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

Sure Angela Lansbury didn't seem to have a lot of motivation for finding dead people... but at least she was a writer with tons of friends and could be doing research etc.. I just don't see how this could work past two or three episodes without getting amazingly stupid.

Mordred
Old 11-12-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by marty888
..... landscapers ...
Yeah, with lots of hunky, shirtless employees... See, that's the real problem with the major TV networks: hardly ever any beefcake.
Old 11-15-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why must they be interior decorators? I am so damn tired of stereotypes. Hey, maybe they can have a black maid as well.

If this show ends up being two queens mincing around I will not watch it.
Old 11-15-02, 06:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mordred, remember Father Dowling?
Old 11-15-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As insane as the premise is, it seems camp enough to work, and with Alan Cumming, i'm sure it'll rise above the dreck. They should get William Fitchner (since MD's is DOA), as much as What's The Worst That Could Happensucked, his character in that flick as just this type of character was damn hilarious.