Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 11/12/02 "Ryan"

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
Smallville 11/12/02 "Ryan"

Welcome to the Smallville thread for 11/12/02. Post your questions and comments.
Old 11-12-02, 11:45 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm not too excited to see a return of an old FOTW, I do like the fact that the villian will be normal just like last week.

It's a welcome change from Kryptonite enhanced evil-doers.
Old 11-12-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This should be a great episode because the little boy was awesome in his role last year. Him and Clark became friends because they had powers and were the good guys.
Old 11-12-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
great episode
that comic is such a mirror of clark and lex
Spoiler:
and the running to another city 400 miles away in something like an hour was cool
Old 11-12-02, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Good show. But a little too much obvious forshadowing. They need to stop that.

Nice fade. You know what I'm talking about.

A few basic questions:

1. What the hell are Clark's clothes made out of, let alone his shoes?
2. Where are the sonic booms?

Last edited by Eric F; 11-12-02 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 09:02 PM
Banned

I thought tonites episode was pretty good, kinda sad though

What was Martha Kent's secret? She too old to be pregnant, LOL

Clark ran all that way when he knows he can fly...

BTW, Clark sure does love his red and blue wardrobe
Old 11-12-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jared Nomak
I thought tonites episode was pretty good, kinda sad though

What was Martha Kent's secret? She too old to be pregnant, LOL

Clark ran all that way when he knows he can fly...

BTW, Clark sure does love his red and blue wardrobe
What episode did Clark learn he could fly? During the tornado? He was pulled up by the force of the twister and felt he could will himself to the truck. I don't think he quite figured out that meant he could fly.
Old 11-12-02, 09:05 PM
Cool New Member

There was an episode in season 1 when Clark was having some kind of "wet dream" and he was floating about 6 feet off his bed.
Old 11-12-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Tonight's episode was rather depressing, but it was good though.

I was wondering the same thing about the sonic booms as Clark transversed those 400-odd miles that fast.
Old 11-12-02, 09:07 PM
Banned

He was floating after awakining from a dream about Lana in Ep1.

If he flies that cements the fact that he is truly "unhuman".
No wonder he's afraid. Nice touch again.
Old 11-12-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I think this was a great episode. This episode showed Clark that he can not save everyone even with his powers. Next episode is the return to the FOTW. Jonathan Taylor Thomas Teen Dream's Coverboy of the mid to late ninetys is back. "Hurray!" lwhy? said in a sarcastic tone.
Old 11-12-02, 10:48 PM

It was a good episode, at the end i was hoping ryan would push him out the air balloon lol so he could fly, but next week looks sweet!
Old 11-12-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mantecore
It was a good episode, at the end i was hoping ryan would push him out the air balloon lol so he could fly, but next week looks sweet!
what's supposed to happen next week? I walked out of the room and I missed it - I hate missing previews - please tell. Thanks.
Old 11-13-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad episode. I was hoping they could save Ryan.
Old 11-13-02, 12:12 AM

Great episode. I loved that flash like run 2 get that doctor.
That kid did a great job.

did anyone notice the cover to warrior angel #1 looked a lot like action comics #1?

Edited to add just for fun

Last edited by blakader; 11-13-02 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-13-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Clark has a mechanism that internalizes a lot of his feelings because he has learned that he needs to keep himself in check, else, he risks hurting people inadvertently. Clark is shown to show restraint, a bit wooden or distant, even though he has a lot of compassion in his heart, and is an optimist, but this episode showed him the limits of what he can do, given the gifts he has, life passes on regardless of those gifts.

It was an interesting way to tie in Lex's path to the dark side with the stories from comics, even though Lex eschews such simplicity of the stories, the core of truth remains in the comics, and that's what will make Lex's turn even more tragic because Smallville has shown the good that Lex is capable of, but when he finally turns on Clark, both men's worlds will change forever.
Old 11-13-02, 07:45 AM

Sonic booms occur when an object moves approx. 750 mph at sea level. If he was travelling at 400 mpg like someone said above, well then, no sonic booms.

I'm curious about the line about Martha's secret as well. I thought it was just that she liked her job but I couldn't be sure.

Pete better watch out, everyone who knows Clark's secret ends up dead!

I liked when Clark exclaims "Don't go" to Lana only to botch this potentially romantic moment with the "Nell should't be able to dictate your life" line.

Lex is my wife's favorite character and she seriously doesn't want to see him go bad. I can't predict what the producers of the series are going to do, but Lex & Clark never actually have to be enemies. Lex & Superman yes, but not Lex & Clark. Television being what it is, I could definitely see them creating some sort of animosity between Lex & Clark as the series progresses but they better do something soon because Welling isn't getting younger!
Old 11-13-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pete might come down with a ulcer in his teenage days (due to him knowing Clark's secret).

As Lex's empire grows, he'll need to independently move from Smallville and to Metropolis, and probably won't meet up with Clark as Superman until Clark has to make a choice between the right thing, and their friendship (after Clark's college years and has to face the first of many of Lex's scheme to rule the universe when he path leads him to extend his power, socially/politically/economically speaking.) The problem is that Lex should know that Clark is Superman in this scenario, and could cause all sorts of personal strife for Clark in order to have "leverage" over Clark, just like what he did to the mayor in last night's episode.
Old 11-13-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elias
Sonic booms occur when an object moves approx. 750 mph at sea level. If he was travelling at 400 mpg like someone said above, well then, no sonic booms.

I learn something new everyday, or in this case, I re-learn something new everyday.

Since Ryan died, couldn't Clark ask if Lana could live at the Kent household? It would be a really short move for her and she would always be safe. and then her and Clark could drive each other nuts due to the sexual tension.
Old 11-13-02, 09:25 AM
Banned

A bit off topic, but Ulcers are completely curable by antibiotics. So when you hear of folks dying of bleeding ulcers it's usually because they don't stop doing things that are bad for them, like drinking, or they have a damaged immune system (AIDS).

I loved the comic book story Lex told. Very biblical. I'd say the best moment of the episode was when Ryan asked Lex why he thought the hero in the comic turned, and Lex spoke about how the road to evil wasn't "like turning on a light-switch", and Ryan replied, "You should remember that Lex". Ouch. Talk about a setup.
Old 11-13-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Clark's Clothes

I cant remember where i got this from but it was explain that superman has some type of aura that extents over his clothes... making them nearly indistructible.
Old 11-13-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That was from the reboot of the Superman mythos under John Byrne in 1986 when they re-launched Superman in the comics. Also in the re-boot, Superman had this tactile telekinesis that allowed him to grab large objects at one point and control the object from falling due to the "moment" of the object rotate from where Superman would hold the object.

It's sort of like when, in Superman - The Movie, Superman rescues Lois Lane and grabs the helicopter by one of its landing stands as it's falling downward. The tactile telekinesis prevents the helicopter from rotating and twisting once Superman grabs a hold of it at one point on its way down to earth, and that allows him to fly it up to the top of the building with one arm, and hold Lois in the other arm. You have to love comic physics.
Old 11-13-02, 11:29 AM
Banned

I thought it was the Flash who had the aura surrounding him, and [the new] Superboy who had the telekenic powers?
Old 11-13-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought they clearly implied Martha was pregnant.

What makes anyone think she's too old? Just because the actors look old doesn't mean their characters are, she could be in her late 30s.
Old 11-13-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Annette O'Toole (Mrs. Kent) is 48 years old.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.