Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 11/12/02 "Ryan"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Eric F
I thought it was the Flash who had the aura surrounding him, and [the new] Superboy who had the telekenic powers?
You're right about both of those, but they're different in nature. Flash has a speed-force aura around him that protects him from things like friction, and Superboy (last I read) has a much more developed control over his telekinetic powers. I'd never actually heard about Superman's field extending around any objects he carries, though... my understanding was that it was just an aura that surrounded his entire body by a few inches. Which was why in Byrne's series, Supe's costume would remain intact, but his cape would get shredded. The cape extended outside of that aura, so it wasn't safe.

Although that extended aura makes a little sense; it would also help to explain why Superman has always been portrayed as more powerful when he's flying. Maybe the same manifestation of the power that lets him fly also makes it easier to carry things at the same time.

As far as the sonic boom thing goes... I don't remember how long the story said it took him. We know it was 400+ miles, but we don't know how long, do we? If it was in 30 minutes, that would make it 800 MPH... enough for some booms.

It is interesting that Clark was sweating and out of breath after the run. That at least gives us some idea of his limits... no running around the world (yet).
Old 11-13-02, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Annette O'Toole (Mrs. Kent) is 48 years old.
whew! she looks DAMN good for being almost 50...

I thought it was very good episode tonight. It's satisfying to see the journey Clark is on before he's the superhero of the future. Lessons learned: he can't save everyone, some things like tumors, are beyond even his help.
Old 11-13-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts
Of course, in Byrne's reboot, there was no "superboy" as Clark didn't really get the extent of his powers until near adulthood (so no superbaby feats like in the show). Of course, the real answer is that it's just a show. Though I do wonder why no one questioned how he traversed the distance that fast...

Also, I doubt we'll see him flying anytime soon. That's a lot of special effects, and would probably be used constantly.

Though heavy on the foreshadowing and setting up Luthor to be a baddie, I did like the shades of grey comment, which is kinda analogous to how the golden age of superheroes was (black and white) with the modern age, with antiheroes and such. Also liked that Lex's talk with Ryan helped him to make a "good" decision about Cigarette Smoking Man. Nice homage to Superman number 1 and the mindset of comic book collectors.

Isn't there any criminal charges for lying to policemen, like the scientist did when he said that he had never heard of Ryan and deliberately hid him?

Couldn't really see Ryan ending up any other way, unless he lost his powers. I mean, the kid can read minds, it would make Clark's adventures far too easy.

And if Martha Kent is really pregnant, they've got to be setting up some kinda miscarriage, as I'm sure they wouldn't give Superman a sibling. Plus, isn't that the whole reason they adopted Clark anyway, because she couldn't have kids?

Pete, although knowing Clark's secret, still gets his 2 minutes of airtime. Chloe should get more now because of her new roomie, though.

And Lana's crack that maybe Clark could finally give his telescope to Ryan, because she wasn't living next door anymore. Doesn't it creep her out that the guy's been spying on her since who knows when?
Old 11-13-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 860 Likes on 631 Posts
I am just going to post this about people(Patman) saying that I am trigger happy with posting my threads. I go to college for about ten hours a day the only time I have to start my threads is eight a.m. the day the show airs.

Last edited by lwhy?; 11-13-02 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-13-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by elias

I'm curious about the line about Martha's secret as well. I thought it was just that she liked her job but I couldn't be sure.

That's all I read into the scene. Ryan said he could tell she really liked working for the Luthors, and I guess that could be a secret she'd want to keep, given the bad blood the Kents have with Lionel over the years. She may not want to make her husband mad. Why would it be anything else?
Old 11-13-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by calhoun07
That's all I read into the scene. Ryan said he could tell she really liked working for the Luthors, and I guess that could be a secret she'd want to keep, given the bad blood the Kents have with Lionel over the years. She may not want to make her husband mad. Why would it be anything else?
Didn't Ryan/Martha discuss her liking to work for Luthor just before he said he knew her secret? I would bet my life the secret is NOT that she likes working there.

As for her being 48, how old is Lisa Kudrow? She's pushing 40 and is still playing a 20-something on Friends. They didn't even bother to change Martha's appearance two weeks ago when Clark was supposedly a baby. They could always write it off as a result of the meteor's radiation or something anyway.
Old 11-13-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts
Originally posted by Meatpants
As for her being 48, how old is Lisa Kudrow? She's pushing 40 and is still playing a 20-something on Friends.
i thought all the Friends were early 30-somethings?

anyways, i really like where Smallville is headed. yes, some of the foreshadowing is a bit much, but if you look at it like someone who doesn't know the Superman mythos (i know sounds incredible but you never know) all of it makes sense for those people, in time for the damn_movie to come out.

also,
Spoiler:
i thought Clark was going to personally fly Ryan into the clouds.. never thought of the hot air balloon.
Old 11-13-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,668 Posts
Well, the balloon was a good parallel to the comic book hero's floating "fortress of solitude," a good place for them to get away from everyone.
Old 11-13-02, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by devilshalo
i thought all the Friends were early 30-somethings?

anyways, i really like where Smallville is headed. yes, some of the foreshadowing is a bit much, but if you look at it like someone who doesn't know the Superman mythos (i know sounds incredible but you never know) all of it makes sense for those people, in time for the damn_movie to come out.

also,
Spoiler:
i thought Clark was going to personally fly Ryan into the clouds.. never thought of the hot air balloon.
Lisa Kudrow was born in 1963, so she is pushing 40. But I think you mean on the show they are playing early 30 somethings? Yeah, I think so too, early in Friends they were 20 something now they are older. I don't see the big deal about Lisa Kudrow's age. After all, it's ironic somebody would bring it up in a thread about at TV show with a 25 year old man is playing a high school boy.

There are people who watch Smallville who know about Superman but really don't know nothing about the comic books or the mythos. Yes, it's hard to believe, I know, but there are people who watch TV who don't read comics. Heck, I don't even read the Superman comics. And the people I work with who also love the show don't know anything about Lex and Clark and the rest from the comics, so it's all new to them.
Old 11-13-02, 10:51 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

What's up with the preview for next week?

Did Clark jump off a building or the dam to save Chloe?
Old 11-14-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 203 Likes on 168 Posts
I missed the preview, too, what's going on next week?
Old 11-14-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,117 Posts
All of the "Friends" are over 30. Rachel was the last to turn, a couple of seasons ago.

I can't believe we have gotten this far without any comments about the Chloe/Lana roommate scenario. Did you SEE the look on Clark's face? Did you SEE the look on my face? Pillow fights, lingerie parties, jello wrestling. Here's hoping the girls do it all!
Old 11-14-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
All of the "Friends" are over 30. Rachel was the last to turn, a couple of seasons ago.

I can't believe we have gotten this far without any comments about the Chloe/Lana roommate scenario. Did you SEE the look on Clark's face? Did you SEE the look on my face? Pillow fights, lingerie parties, jello wrestling. Here's hoping the girls do it all!
i just like the ribbing Clark took from Lana about his telescope and his comment that she won't be the 'girl next door' anymore