TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Angel 11/10/02

Old 11-10-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Angel 11/10/02

I've read that tonight's episode is a really good one that rewards long-time viewers of the Buffy/Angel-verse.
Old 11-10-02, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was pretty good, but I'm getting tired of
Spoiler:
amnesia
- thank goodness we're done with it.

Jumping ahead to the preview for next week:
Spoiler:
It looks fantastic! Some big stuff finally starting to go down. That shot of Wesley with twin pistols is fun.

Wheeee!
Old 11-10-02, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"The government gave me bad hair!"

"It'd be cooler if we could score some weed" - Who knew Fred was such a pothead in college.

"Everybody stop screaming!"

There were so many funny lines in this episode, it definitely had the Whedon wit going on.

The Angel - Connor fight had to be painful for the stuntmen.

Next week definitely gets us back on track on the macrostory.
Old 11-11-02, 12:55 AM

Whedon is a god - nuff said

Here's Cordy's vision:

http://students.juniata.edu/nadleap1/cordy_vision.jpg
Old 11-11-02, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can someone be kind enough to giving a recap of the show? I was out of town.
Old 11-11-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great show.
We finally get to see some bits of Cordy's vision.

I have to say that the knife/sword that Wes had up his sleeve was pretty damn awesome. And his kung-fu was pretty damn funny
Old 11-11-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you say "filler?"

I knew you could.
Old 11-11-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
After the Buffy episode from 11/5, this seemed like sheer brilliance.

Of course, just viewed on its own merits it was a good episode with some very good moments. I wish that Whedon would write more episodes.

Next week's episode looks VERY good.
Old 11-11-02, 11:35 AM
Banned

Very funny. Very fulfilling.
(Much better than the sloppily written Buffy last week).

Great comic moments.
One of the best parts was finding out the oh-so-proper Fred was(is?) a pothead.

Best line of the evening when Wesley answered Gunns Question of "What happened to you,"
Wesley respons, "My throat was cut and my friends abandoned me."

Connor? I dont like him. Maybe he and Dawn can just go away together, never to be seen from again?
Old 11-11-02, 12:22 PM

Was anyone else reminded of Power Rangers after Fred disappointingly mentions that she did not get a sword after performing the same moves Wesley did?
Old 11-11-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts
"Okay, I know I'm supposed to be unconscious during this part of the story, but can you believe these mooks?"
Old 11-11-02, 08:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Awesome episode. Pothead Fred rocks. Alexis was great, going being able to go from Wes today back to watcher Wes from Buffy was excellent. I was laughing so hard when he came running down the stairs when he tripped and fell.
Old 11-12-02, 08:48 AM

I enjoyed the episode, and it had some good lines & character interaction, BUT

Didn't anyone else feel that the plot was basically a retread of "Tabula Rasa" from Buffy last season (in which Willow's magic spell wiped out the Scoobies' memories)? Even the bit about Angel not knowing that he was a vampire was the same as what happened to Spike in that episode. (And it was much funnier then.)

Last edited by Skorp; 11-12-02 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-12-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i believe i preferred this week's angel to tabula rasa.....

i had forgotten what a man-hopper cordy was.

does anyone have a screencap of her jostling her boobs?

cranky.
Old 11-12-02, 01:12 PM

I don't think "love" is a strong enough word for what I felt for this episode. It was awesome! I adored everyone in it. I can totally see why they would have to stop filming for an hour-long giggle fest.

The "in-jokiness" of it was a scream. Cordy: "The government gave me bad hair!" Umm, no, sweetie, that was your stylist and/or Mutant Enemy . To Angel...Wes: "You're Irish?" Cordy: "You don't sound Irish."

I thought Angel himself was hysterical tonight. The look on his face when he saw all the cars and thought they were demons ...the discovering of his inner and outer vampire was priceless. "I'm invisible!" Of course, the checking of the bumpies was used last year in Tabula Rasa, but ya know, it's still funny.

There was actually so much funny in this episode, I can't remember it all. But it was not without it's share of angst. Connor and Angel's fight and how Angel was leaving until Connor stopped him. "I didn't ask to be attacked. I didn't ask to be a freak. (Ack! That's what Gwen kept calling herself *closes ears*) Hell, I didn't even ask to be born." That alone was enough to make me very sad for Angel, but then Cordy told him that they *were* in love. I'm not even a Cordy/Angel shipper type person, but that really struck a chord w/ me. Poor Angel.

Suffice to say, it was classic Joss. Amen and Hallelujah.

~wis
Old 11-12-02, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The fundamental difference between Tabula Rasa and this episode of Angel is that the Angel crew remembered who they were when they were teenagers, before all of the craziness that has hit their lives, and reacted to the present as if their teenage selves were transported to the year 2002. Tabula Rasa was strictly played from an amnesia standpoint for all involved, and then trying to make sense of the relationships with the people in the Magic Shop at the time.
Old 11-12-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
But isn't one of the criticisms of "Buffy" of late that they are recycling stories?

I mean, the episode a few weeks ago with the guys trying to raise the demon to make themselves rich was blasted as being a rip-off of "Reptile Boy."

But there was only a small similarity between the two (demon makes guys rich) just like there is only a small similarity between "Tabula Rasa" and this episode.

I guess I don't understand why one is okay and the other isn't.

P.S. This isn't directed at anyone specifically, I just get tired of both shows being held up to different standards.
Old 11-12-02, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by crankyman
i believe i preferred this week's angel to tabula rasa.....
My preference would be for "Tabula Rasa" -- if for no other reason than that nothing in "Spin the Bottle" had the emotional impact of Tara & Willow's breakup at the end of that ep.
Old 11-12-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
Could someone please post an episode recap. I missed half of the show due to the tornado activity in Crossville.
Old 11-13-02, 11:16 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the Buffy from last week with the recycled plot and this episode of Angel, which is pretty much the amnesia episode.

Best moment for me: When Wesley claims to be 'head boy' - funny from a non-british perspective. Also liked the self-refferential narration, esp. when they get back from a break and Lorne is like "Weren't those some great products" or something like that.

lwhy?, here's a sorta description from an online guide:
"Desperate to reverse her amnesia, Cordelia (Charisma Carpenter) takes a stab at Lorne's supposedly surefire memory- restoration spell. It works as promised, but not as expected. There's one doozy of a side effect---Cordy, Angel, Wesley, Gunn and Fred revert to their teenage personas. Rendered strangers to each other, the unlikely adolescents team up to figure out why they're stuck together in an unfamiliar hotel. Wesley believes it's a test, the object of which is to find and kill a vampire. Things get more complicated for the quarrelsome quintet when Angel (David Boreanaz) realizes he is a vampire. Series creator Joss Whedon wrote and directed the episode."

By the end of the episode, Cordy gets her memories back but seems to be aware of something bad coming...
Old 11-13-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 801 Likes on 591 Posts
Thanks, MrN I appreciate your help.