Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Thoughts on Band of Brothers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody else surprised to see Jimmy Fallon from SNL in small cameo in episode 5 (Crossroads)

I wasn't sure it was him at first becuase the lighting was so dark we couldn't see his face but that voice sounded very familiar
Old 11-17-02, 06:02 PM

Speaking of cameos, in episode 4 (The Replacements) was the woman with the baby at the side of the road Gwyneth Paltrow?? I can't be sure b/c of the shaved head...
Old 11-17-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think so...I didnt' see her name in the closing credits..
Old 11-18-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 173 Posts
I never saw the series when it first aired and bought it since no one has anything bad to say about it. 5 stars at Amazon. I'm starting with the video diaries since I love Ron Livingston and boot camps. So far it is VERY awesome I can't wait to see the rest
Old 11-18-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I never saw the series when it first aired and bought it since no one has anything bad to say about it. 5 stars at Amazon. I'm starting with the video diaries since I love Ron Livingston and boot camps. So far it is VERY awesome I can't wait to see the rest
You will not be disappointed....I purchased my set with every intention on listing this through ebay after I finished viewing the series. I changed my mind almost immediately....this is a keeper!!!
Old 11-18-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think you are right, it is awesome

Eeewwww pig entrails.

This is definitely something I see myself seeing over and over again (and over and over again ).

It truly is awesome, I am totally hooked and I'm on the first episode.

Geez Sobel was evil. I think it was EXCELLENTLY casted.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 11-18-02 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-18-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I think you are right, it is awesome

Eeewwww pig entrails.

This is definitely something I see myself seeing over and over again (and over and over again ).

It truly is awesome, I am totally hooked and I'm on the first episode.

Geez Sobel was evil. I think it was EXCELLENTLY casted.
I agree, David S (can't spell his name) did a great job. however, he still makes me laugh, I kinda just expect him to say something stupid.... LOL.

I disagree that Sobel is evil tho. He is just a weak soldier, but his training did produced the best company (according to his superior that moved him)...
Old 11-18-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The casting comment came out wrong.

ALL roles were excellently cast
Old 11-22-02, 01:15 AM

I only saw the first 3 episodes and it was awesome. SPR is one of my favorites but so far I like BoB better.

The packaging is cool.
Old 11-22-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The packaging is teh best/coolest I have in my collection.

Watched the 1st two shows and they are excellent. It is not about anyone star, it is about war and how men became brave to win it.

The opening for each show is incredible. Very moving with the pictures and music. It is also very long, do not do a chapter skip my the opening, it jumps a few minutes past the opening sceen.
Old 11-22-02, 08:24 PM

i've only watched the 1st 2 also and i'd say the 2nd was as intense as spr imho
Old 11-23-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like the fact they used basically unknown actors except for Schwimmer who played that a**hole Sgt Soble which I did find a bit distracting
Old 11-23-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shanester
I like the fact they used basically unknown actors except for Schwimmer who played that a**hole Sgt Soble which I did find a bit distracting

Actually...for anyone who watched Party of Five...Bailey's friend Will played out all BOB episodes. I believe his end rank was Sgt....Sgt. Malarkey.

You are right even with him.....these actors are virtually unknown which to me gave some authenticity to the show. When you see people you are use to seeing in movies....sometimes it tends to take away from the reality of the material being presented. IMHO
Old 11-25-02, 11:55 PM

Band of Brothers is by far my favorite . The Packaging is excellent and the extras are superb.
Old 11-26-02, 12:50 AM

I've only seen the first 2 eps as well.

to the opening sequence in episode 2. The 5 minute nighttime parajumping scene was intense.

to Ross! What a d!ck.

I'm having a hard time following who's who but the "Field Guide" does help a lot.

So far so good.
Old 11-26-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BoB is either the best DVD of the year (all time) or atleast it is a tie with FotR.

My wife loves the DVD set. Time is the only issue facing us right now. With Thanksgiving upon us, we shoule have some extra time to watch the set.

The men speaking before each show makes this the best DVD set of all time. It makes the show all the more really and gives it some real heart.

These men were not perfect, but they did not give into their fears, and that is why call them some of the bravest men to ever walk on the face of this earth. We owe thanks to all the men and women who have fought in the wars to stop evil.
Old 11-27-02, 09:39 AM

Just wanted to say...

Got my copy today!!!
Old 11-29-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
It put some hurting on my credit card, but it was worth it.

asides from David S. and Ron Livingston (Office Space will never be the same), I only recognized 2 others: Donnie Wahlberg and Scott Grimes.
Old 11-29-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

epsidoe 9 was tough to watch!!..

Those "extras" looked like real prisoners??..Did they starve these poor people to death b4 they started filming??

It's too bad Hitler blew his brains out in a cave like the pathetic coward that he was

He should have been tried for war crimes in a world court!!
Old 12-01-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best war series of all time hands down,A+ a better story then SPR IMO.

And to the people that cant keep track of the name's this was done on purpose to give you the feel for what they went through seeing people dieing and new people come into die but by the end of the series you know the important names and what they went through.
Old 12-02-02, 07:47 AM

Great series. Got a little tired of blown off legs and gushing neck wounds, though. They seemed to be the gore of choice. I had just commented on this to my wife, when one of the heros tries to save his buddy (who's just had his leg blown off) and in the process gets his own leg blown off. Now they're both laying there with their legs blown off...
Old 12-02-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since this thread has taken a serious turn into content discussion...

Moving to TV Talk Forum.

- David Stein
Old 12-02-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tonyj
Got a little tired of blown off legs and gushing neck wounds, though.
Yeah, I'm sure the soldiers felt the same way.

I think everyone in this series did an excellent job. (That includes David Schwimmer... he played his role perfectly.)
Old 12-02-02, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yeah, I'm sure the soldiers felt the same way.

I think everyone in this series did an excellent job. (That includes David Schwimmer... he played his role perfectly.)

I agree... he played his part excellently. I just wish they'd give him role now and then where he wasn't playing a loser. (e.g. Six Days, Seven Nights, Friends, and B.o.B.)
Old 12-02-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by shanester
I have a question regading the actor who plays Sgt. Winters I think his name is Damion Lewis.

The other night I came across one of those english period pieces on PBS by chance an low and behold there he was playing an elegant englishman with accent and all

So what's the deal is he american or british??
Unfortunately, I watched all of the new Forsyte Saga (in which Damion Lewis also stars) just before Band of Brothers...

He's not only very British, but in that production he plays a very *un*sympathetic character very well. As much as I liked both performances, I have to admit that it "got in the way" of his Sgt. Winters portrayal for me, much the way some people had trouble with David Schwimmer... His character took too long for me to warm up to, and I spent too much time listening for the accent, etc...

But a really outstanding actor, and BoB is a truly superb series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.