Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-30-02, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like there was any doubt
Old 10-30-02, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is pretty funny. This show looked horrible frmo the start, so I am kind of glad that it is gone. Maybe Kelly can shape up some of his existing shows now....
Old 10-30-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So what show do you think will take its timeslot?

I'd like to see "Firefly" take it to hopefully help its ratings since it's on Friday night, but I don't think Fox execs would put "Firefly" behind "Boston Public".

Old 10-30-02, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Firefly is just as bad.
Old 10-30-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Snowmaker
Firefly is just as bad.
Really? There seems to be a lot of people who like it.

Old 10-30-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I happen to love Firefly, and I really don't have a problem with it's current timeslot, but then again I'm past the age where Friday night means go out and party heh.

I'd hate Firefly to move to Monday night at 9, because I'd stop watching it due to Football
Old 10-30-02, 07:56 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
Really? There seems to be a lot of people who like it.

There's a lot of people who will watch anything Whedon puts out, a following.
Old 10-30-02, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was a ridiculous show so I'm not surprised it's canned.
Old 10-30-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish they'd bring back one of the dozen shows they cancelled last season. Except Ally McBeal, of course.
Old 10-30-02, 10:03 AM

I'd better go console Gretchen Mol.
Old 10-30-02, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Malcom in the middle ought to do it.......
Old 10-30-02, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by dek
There's a lot of people who will watch anything Whedon puts out, a following.
While I'm sure this is true, I, myself am not one of those people. I've never cared for Buffy as a TV show, nor do I think Whedon has the innate creative ability that others seem to. That said, however, Firefly is developing into one of the better sci-fi series on television. Not just currently, but also in the past several years the quality of sci-fi programming has spiralled down the toilet. Space Above and Beyond was excellent but didn't last long, Farscape, too was great but got canned earlier this year. Firefly is original, inventive and it has a certain flair that I haven't seen in a sci-fi show in a long time. So, not everyone that's interested in Firefly is a member of the cult of Whedon.

Personally, I think a timeslot change could do it some good, but right now I think it's best chance is on fridays with John Doe, where both shows can capitalize off the momentum of the other. There's less pressure (or there should be) on friday nights because it's a poor night for television in general. If Firefly keeps doing moderately well like it has been on friday then there's a good chance that we'll at least get to finish the season. If they move it to another night it'll get murdered in the ratings where it will be going up against much more popular programming.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-30-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this a new record for cancellation???

Wow, two shows and canned.......I wonder if this sets a new record for the fastest cancellation of a new series.
Old 10-30-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Is this a new record for cancellation???

Originally posted by djones6746
Wow, two shows and canned.......I wonder if this sets a new record for the fastest cancellation of a new series.
"That Was Then" was cancelled by ABC earlier this season after only two episodes aired.

Not enough to time to really get into a show is it?

Girls Club wasn't horrible, but it didn't really hook me right away. I would have rather seen "The American Embassy", actually than this. I'm kind of bored with lawyer shows. It probably would have been more interesting if it was about 3 women working in another kind of office.
Old 10-30-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 205 Likes on 159 Posts
Good! This show was horrible and I stopped watching after the first episode. Guess that means we'll never know whether or not Kathleen Robertson will ever file sexual harassment charges against the partner.
Then again, who's to say they won't recycle the women in another show?
Old 10-30-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Re: Is this a new record for cancellation???

Originally posted by djones6746
The TV series Manchester Prep was cancelled a year or two ago before the first episode ever aired. The pilot was released direct to video as Cruel Intentions 2.
Old 10-30-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dgmayor
I happen to love Firefly, and I really don't have a problem with it's current timeslot, but then again I'm past the age where Friday night means go out and party heh.

I'd hate Firefly to move to Monday night at 9, because I'd stop watching it due to Football
Heh, well I tape Boston Public and whatever show came on after it (Ally McBeal or girls club) so I can watch Monday Night Football live.

Old 10-30-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Neush
If Firefly keeps doing moderately well like it has been on friday then there's a good chance that we'll at least get to finish the season. If they move it to another night it'll get murdered in the ratings where it will be going up against much more popular programming.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Firefly hasn't been doing moderately well in its timeslot. That's why fans of the show are concerned that it's going to get canned before it can develop a steady fan base. That's why I thought a timeslot change would be good for it....although the Monday night slot might be a bad timeslot since it would have to compete with Monday Night Football and whatever else is on at that time (I'm not sure what other shows are on at that time cause I always watch MNF).

Old 10-30-02, 12:25 PM

I think as time goes on more and more people will buy into PVRs rendering shows in Friday night slots equivalent to any other day of the week. To me it makes no difference what time my favorite shows come on because my TiVo records them whenever. Plus I quickly realized the advantage of time-delayed playback.. I can skip through commercials in seconds making my time in front of the boob tube more productive. Do you think the propagation of PVR technology will make the dismal-ratings associated with friday night programming a mute point? If all my favorite primetime shows decided to switch to 3am everyday of the week, I could care less. Unfortunately the entire population is not able to time-shift and the Nielson families tend to like shows I don't and vice versa. Imagine if these ratings were determined by TiVo owners. The TiVo stats probably reflect our population better than these Nielson families. Anyway.. I didn't even bother to record Girls Club.. didn't look too interesting in the previews.
Old 10-30-02, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
People have been time-shifting for 20 years now. It's not a new thing.
Old 10-30-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 621 Likes on 500 Posts
Time-shifting is nice but there are a number of time-slots where I have conflicts so I do have to watch one program live, so the night certain shows are on will have a bearing on many, unless they buy multiple PVRs (or have multiple tuner PVRs). PVRs have yet to really take off and when they do, I don't expect most people to rush out and buy 2 unless you only have to pay 1 subscription fee (which is really the way it should be).

Personally, given the lousy Monday night matchups that have been on, I was watching Girls Club and CSI Miami live (even I had them set to record) and relegating football to the PIP box.
Old 10-30-02, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
People have been time-shifting for 20 years now. It's not a new thing.
True, but it is much easier for people now with PVRs. Think of all the folks that still have 12:00 blinking on their VCRs. So much easier than dealing with un-labelled VHS tapes too.
Old 10-30-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thats what happens when you do not invite men to be apart of you "Girls Club"!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.