Reload this Page >

Boston Public "Chapter 46" 10/28/02

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-28-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just caught an early episode of this episode, and it was really bad. The whole thing with Danny and Marla is ridiculous.
Spoiler:
The drug storyline was preposterous. Of course anyone would try to get a hot chick drugs if she offered him oral sex. Talk about entrapment!
The writing is definitely on the wall for Harry and Ronnie
Spoiler:
(if they are not already broken up). And it looks like Guber is on the hook for the riot now.
I really dislike the new chick that has taken over for Louisa.

This show is really going downhill fast.
Old 10-28-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought it was a good episode and much better than the first. I'm glad they're going to address the fact that Guber was the cause of the riot. So far the two new teachers are pretty cool, I like the one from "Meet The Parents" the best.
Old 10-28-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing Guber put in his spot was priceless. But what is up with the "Smell that Shoe" woman coming on as a teacher now? The Hook Lady wasn't available to come back this season (I hope she does, she never did exact her psycho revenge against Guber!). Really, what is up with this school taking on parents who cannot raise their kids? Next thing you know they will release the teen hooker's father to teach sex ed!
Old 10-28-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i liked the episode as well
Old 10-28-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eep...return of the singing! Nooooo!

This show makes no sense anymore. If I get this right, Senate is meeting with the prosistute with a kid, while Ronnie and Co. are out getting drunk and singing karaoke. Guber and Harper are talking about the kid, and Marcie's there to drop a bombshell.

So, assuming Harper and Guber are there until...say, 8, and school ends at 2 or 3, Marcie, a prinicpal's assistant has been filing and filing for about 5 or 6 hours, just waiting to expose the big secret. At the same time, teachers are getting plastered. Ok, then.

Senate, Danny, and Marla are all total downers. Please, what waste of characters. Not to mention Lipsh...whatever his name is, who was mentioned once, but never showned on screen. Ok, again.

The drug storyline was also pretty stupid. Oh, but Guber....uh oh for him. Tisk, tisk.
Old 10-28-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
where is this show going now? They need to get the story away from Guber, Marla, etc. and focus a little more on Senate, Ronnie, and of course, the students (I really appreciated the undercover police officer - she was one of the bright spots of the show).
Old 10-29-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Lipschultz gone? I knew about Lauren & Louisa leaving, but I didn't even realize he was gone. It's too bad if he is, he was always good for comic relief. And I thought he was was one of the few very realistic depictions of teachers that show had. I didn't have many young & energetic teachers, but I certainly remember a lot of older and grizzled ones like Lipschultz.

This episode was better than the premiere, but still no where as good as the show used to be.

What was the point of the whole lemon drop-karaoke scene? I thought they were going to have Ronnie cheat on Harry or something, but it seemed like that whole thing went nowhere.
Sure, she decided that Harry was bringing her down, but I thought that was more because of what that student said and not because of her time out at the bar.

And isn't it about time that the pretty black teacher gets a storyline? It's typical I can never her name. The most story she has ever had was when she was investigating the hook lady's son. But she really seems to be the most under-written teacher on that show, especially considering she is one of the few original characters left from the first season.

This show has too much turnover among characters. We need to see the students changing from year-to-year, but the teachers should mainly stay the same.

I still couldn't believe they got rid of two cast members in the middle of the first season. Kind of odd for a new hit show.

It's hard to care for some of these characters when they keep leaving and being replaced by less-interesting characters. Like last season, Michael Rappaport became Harry Senate and Jeri Ryan became a slightly less repressed Lauren.

This season, we have two new young male teachers, who so far seem pretty indistinguishable from one another, except one is short.

At least the school administrators have remained constant. Those two principals are the best part of the show.
Old 10-29-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
this show is spiraling into cancellation quicker than sh1t.....WAY too melodramatic week after week....the whole drug/cop thing was ridiculous, the writing is getting worse - especially in terms of the kids and how they talk back to the teachers/principle - and they can't seem to keep anyone around long enough to care about them. The David Kelley Half-life of three years has been sped up a bit on this one....bad bad bad.
Old 10-29-02, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by TruGator
So far the two new teachers are pretty cool, I like the one from "Meet The Parents" the best.
Which one is that? I can't tell the two new teachers apart!

I love how the casting wizards decided to hire two new teachers who look like the male doublemint twins.
Old 10-29-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only complaint i have about the show is they do way too much stuff at once. But the stuff about the cop sting, the riot, kids talking back all happens in schools believe it or not. Just not usually all at one time :-)

capt
Old 10-29-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
When I saw the whole undercover cop thing I thought to myself - when did this turn into 21 Jump Street! Marla and Danny, no way, please don't go there. I wondered how many episodes it would take before the former New Kid on the Block was singing on camera (didn't have to wait too long for that one). I am glad that Guber will take the heat for provoking that riot but I really disappointed in this show.
Old 10-29-02, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
Is Lipschultz gone? I knew about Lauren & Louisa leaving, but I didn't even realize he was gone. It's too bad if he is, he was always good for comic relief. And I thought he was was one of the few very realistic depictions of teachers that show had. I didn't have many young & energetic teachers, but I certainly remember a lot of older and grizzled ones like Lipschultz.
He was on last week, I don't see why he would be gone now. Last season they've gone episodes without showing a teacher and then turn around and focus them for a few weeks straight.
Old 10-29-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't watch Boston Public but maybe a couple of times last season, so I have a question. What exactly does Joey McIntyre do? Is he a teacher? I have watched the past two weeks and I have not seen him in a classroom. To me it just seems like he shows up to talk to a couple of the teachers and then dissapears.
Old 10-29-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by RaraFemina
I didn't watch Boston Public but maybe a couple of times last season, so I have a question. What exactly does Joey McIntyre do? Is he a teacher? I have watched the past two weeks and I have not seen him in a classroom. To me it just seems like he shows up to talk to a couple of the teachers and then dissapears.
Joe McIntyre is a teacher, but I don't know what he teaches...the kid from Meet the Parents is a former student who now teaches science (his character's name is Mr. Fisher), Fisher has history w/ Mr. Harper and Mr. Guber, which is somewhat interesting, but this show gets less interesting w/ these stupid storylines.
Old 10-29-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He teaches Physics. He mentioned it a few times last night, and last week he was using the fire extinguishers to show propulsion.
Old 10-29-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Only took an episode and a half to get the New Kid on stage. Oh, oh, oh, oh-o, the right stuff ... word to your mother.

das
Old 10-29-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought the episode was okay.

I was a little surprised about the oral sex because I thought they were regurgitating the subject from last year....but I was a bit surprised when the girl turned out to be an undercover pig. I still don't think cops would go through all that trouble just for a drug bust...

So does anybody think Harry's gonna blow his brains out or commit suicide somehow? Or will he just ride off into the sunset with Dana Poole?

This episode made me realize that I miss the Hook Lady. I think I hated her character last season, but at least it was entertaining. This show is in dire need of something....I'm not sure what, but it definitely needs something.

I'm not digging Louisa's replacement, either. How the hell would she know the name of a drug dealer on the street?

Is it just me or is Steven really taking Marla's side on things? I'm a little disappointed in that because I thought he was a lot less biased than that.

Oh man, I love Guber. His storylines are always good.

Old 10-29-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was a little suprised that Steven sided so obviously with Marla. I think that this will be brought up, because they are both black, and they actually went out a "date" before. I think that Marla should be tossed, and if Danny doesn't shape up, give him the boot as well.
Old 10-29-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia

What was the point of the whole lemon drop-karaoke scene? I thought they were going to have Ronnie cheat on Harry or something, but it seemed like that whole thing went nowhere.

Give it a chance - this is only the 2nd episode of the season. I'll bet if she simply jumped in the sack with a new guy, people would be saying how unrealistic for her to do that so quickly!
Old 10-29-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
I think that Marla should be tossed, and if Danny doesn't shape up, give him the boot as well.
Well - talk about realism... like they fire them both and immediately come up with two qualified, willing replacements who are practically banging the doors down to get a job teaching high school in the Boston Public School system - all those high profile, highly esteemed positions and don't forget those great paychecks from those HUGE high paying salaries with all those benefits!
Old 10-29-02, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Boston Public "Chapter 46" 10/28/02

Originally posted by movieking

This show is really going downhill fast.

I could not agree more!

The hot blonde teahcer who wanted to sleep with Guber, and the secretary are GONE.

NO explanation at all..

the writing is bad. character development is poor, and storylines are awful and too jumbled up.

Unless they get new writers and bring back at elast ONE of the 2 missing cast members, this show is going down the drain FAST
Old 10-29-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Lame. Lame. Lame.

If it keeps up like this, I could cut out one hour of television viewing.
Old 10-30-02, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. It is really too bad, since I used to love this show, and make it a point to watch it every week. Not anymore...
Old 10-30-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Maybe there's hope now that girls club has been cancelled?
Old 10-30-02, 12:38 PM

Don't forget Harvey discovered his African American side of the family last season.. Surely this will be revisited.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.