Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chevy Chase Roast on Comedy Central 12/1/02

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-02, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevy Chase Roast on Comedy Central 12/1/02

Man, I cannot wait for this! I love the Roasts, particularly Hugh Hefner's, but they've all been good. This should be awesome. I only wish they didn't start advertising it so far in advance.
Old 10-25-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome! I love CC!
Old 10-25-02, 08:47 AM
Banned

If you're interested in reading about what went on at the CC Roast, here is a great article
that ran in the New York Observer a couple weeks ago.

It's loaded with spoilers (if that is even possible) so if you don't want to know the jokes before you watch it, don't read.

Here's a spoiler free snippet to give you an idea of the tone of the article. Although it wasn't a good review, the article made me laugh out loud several times.

Originally printed in the New York Observer
...But this roast was decidedly different. Mr. Hilary, who was in the Hilton audience on Sept. 28, agreed that "some people bombed like I’ve never seen them bomb before." Indeed, though the roast had its moments of comic ingenuity, for the first time in a long time it was dominated by mediocrity and, at times, worse. In addition to Mr. Maron, Andy Kindler and Kevin Meaney landed with incredible thuds, and a number of other comedians—Greg Giraldo, Greg Fitzsimmons—were underwhelming at best.

If there was some greater meaning to be found among the groans, uncomfortable silences and flop sweat, it was this: the art of the roast—of eviscerating a man with a combination of comedy, anger and truth—was dying. A generational chasm had opened between the older comedians who had learned how to kill in the smoky nightclubs and private Friars Roasts of the 60’s and 70’s, and the younger generations who had grown up with therapy and cable channels, hungry for talent that maybe wasn’t as sharp as it could be. And as Comedy Central’s cameras rolled on Sept. 28, that dissonance had become evident.
Old 10-25-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good! I hope they let him have it! Never did like Chevy Chase
Old 10-26-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Roto
Good! I hope they let him have it! Never did like Chevy Chase
Neither does most anyone who's ever worked with him, which is why the majority of the people at the roast were second-rate performers. The major guys didn't show up, which was also a source of jokes.

-Brian
Old 10-29-02, 02:52 PM
Banned

Greg Fitzsimmons said on Howard Stern that the roast was a horendously uncomfortable and terible event. No one likes Chevy Chase, many of those in attendance had never even met him, no one knew what they were doing there. That article seems to be putting a rosey spin on what sounds like an unwatchable train wreck of a show.
Old 10-29-02, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Pants
Greg Fitzsimmons said on Howard Stern that the roast was a horendously uncomfortable and terible event. No one likes Chevy Chase, many of those in attendance had never even met him, no one knew what they were doing there. That article seems to be putting a rosey spin on what sounds like an unwatchable train wreck of a show.
From what I've experienced in the past, the New York Observer is pretty good with reviews. I'm not sure where you got the "rosey spin" from though. Maybe you should reread it.

Also, the opinion of one of the comics that bombed the hardest doesn't hold much water with me. Although I'm not saying he's wrong, just biased.
Old 10-30-02, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure is taking long enough to air this. The roast was like 2-3 weeks ago.