Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Next Monday on NBC, Carrie, the new version?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 11:02 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

What? Where did this movie come from? I remember hearing they were remaking Carrie, but I never heard was it a made-for-tv movie!
Old 10-24-02, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steven King is a crybaby that complains that after his stories are turned into movies, they are butchered by their respective director (DePalma, Kubrick, etc...), yet he continues to sell his story rights to motion picture production companies....

He feels that he can always make a better version, just because he wrote them. I agree that The Shining mini-series was good, and showed a tiny bit of improvement, but with Carrie, why mess with perfection? The movie is R rated for a reason, the mini-series will suck.
Old 10-24-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is a remake just like The Shining (except this is just a movie and not a miniseries). It doesn't air until Monday November 4 - talking about BLOWING it NBC! Why wouldn't they air this the week of Halloween?!

This from StephenKingNews.com:
NBC has announced a remake of "Carrie" that will also serve as a backdoor pilot for potential new weekly series or franchises. While NBC has so far ordered only scripts on the Carrie project, both projects are likely to end up on the air. Scribe Bryan Fuller is attached to write the new "Carrie," which will follow closely the plot of the original 1976 feature about a teenage girl with special powers. The new picture, supervised by MGM TV topper Hank Cohen, will be set in the present and feature greatly enhanced special effects. The story will also be tweaked to allow for either a weekly series or movie franchise.
Old 10-24-02, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
"The story will also be tweaked to allow for either a weekly series or movie franchise."

Oh crap, that's the funniest thing I've ever heard! Those wacky network execs....
Old 10-24-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Why wouldn't they air this the week of Halloween?!
The all-important November sweeps. They charge for ad time based on their ratings for February and November, so they save the big stuff for those months.

Honk!
Old 10-24-02, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Big stuff? As in a remake of Carrie?
Old 10-24-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This movie looks craptacular.
Old 10-24-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
COUNT ME OUT!!!
Old 10-24-02, 11:05 PM

I will be watching..I'm looking forword to it..I too enjoyed the shining remake We are we all asuming it will suck?
Old 10-24-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait either. Carrie is one of my all time favorite movies. Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, etc. were the tops! This doesn't mean that I can't enjoy another telling of the story and I am certainly looking forward to it. Maybe it will be a little more like the book and things will make more sense (ie. the rocks that fall onthe house at the end...there is no mention in the movie that this same rock storm occured the day Carrie was born. Not an important fact but it would have beennice to know.)

Sam
Old 10-25-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"The story will also be tweaked to allow for either a weekly series or movie franchise."

I can see it now....

"Next time on Carrie.....Carrie gets an D in english class. And her newfound friend Bethany gets a date with the guy Carrie has secretly had a crush on."

It'd be like Dawson's Creek, only with pigs blood.

The movie was fine the way it was, was there really a need to make a watered down TV mini-series?
Old 10-25-02, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was horrified by the idea at first...... but..... I don't know why, but the more I think about it the more I like the idea of a Carrie TV series... if they did it sort of like Buffy... hmmm it just might work. I'd watch.

"On the next Carrie...."
Old 10-25-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
Steven King is a crybaby that complains that after his stories are turned into movies, they are butchered by their respective director (DePalma, Kubrick, etc...), yet he continues to sell his story rights to motion picture production companies....

He feels that he can always make a better version, just because he wrote them. I agree that The Shining mini-series was good, and showed a tiny bit of improvement, but with Carrie, why mess with perfection? The movie is R rated for a reason, the mini-series will suck.
Notice how he's only remade the "good" ones?

"Carrie," "The Shining," "The Dead Zone?"
Old 10-25-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I wonder how they'll handle the opening shower scene ("Blood Sport" chapter from the novel) for network television?
Old 10-25-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Japanese mosaics
Old 10-25-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
The movie is R rated for a reason, the mini-series will suck.
..and what reason is that?

By todays standards Carrie is really tame. There was no blood in the movie at all (except for what was dunked on her), no sex (except the bj in the car), and really no nudity (except for a cuppla boobies). And both of the latter scenes really had nothing to do with progressing the story. I really would be interested to know what it would be rated today. I'd say PG13.

As for the TV series...bad idea

I think I am enjoying the TV ersions better because you get more time to flesh out the story whereas the movies are usually "lets hurry up and get to the scary stuff" since the audience paid for it after all. Like Cliff's Notes.

Just my opinion.

Sam
Old 10-27-02, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This looks like a joke! I agree that the material is very tame compared to what is put out today - and besides....Sissy Spacek's performance can't come close to being matched!

Don't even get me started on the Shining. What ever happened to original material?

HBO.
Old 11-05-02, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by HotThang
..and what reason is that?

By todays standards Carrie is really tame. There was no blood in the movie at all (except for what was dunked on her), no sex (except the bj in the car), and really no nudity (except for a cuppla boobies).

So you're saying there was blood, sex and nudity.
Old 11-05-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HAHHA I know! As I typed each 'except' I felt sillier and sillier! But hey I can laugh at myself.

All in all I didn't think it was bad at all. I am glad that the LEADS didn't try to mimic the incomperable performances by Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie. I did not lik the ending AT ALL but Mr. King has always said that
Spoiler:
he wanted Carrie to live.

I'd get it when it comes to DVD and stop watching it about 10 minutes from the ending (sorta like how I watch A.I.)

Sam
Old 11-05-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by HotThang
HAHHA I know! As I typed each 'except' I felt sillier and sillier! But hey I can laugh at myself.

All in all I didn't think it was bad at all. I am glad that the LEADS didn't try to mimic the incomperable performances by Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie. I did not lik the ending AT ALL but Mr. King has always said that
Spoiler:
he wanted Carrie to live.

I'd get it when it comes to DVD and stop watching it about 10 minutes from the ending (sorta like how I watch A.I.)

Sam
Spoiler:
I liked the end, not because it was the best ending possible but because it was different and thus surprising. Also, Sue's attitude with David Keith did not seem right, given the ending we know from the book and the movie but once we saw this version's ending, her behavior made sense. But that kept me just a little off balance for a long time wondering just why Sue was acting the way she was. I liked it that there was enough of a difference so that we would not know everything that was coming and they did it in a way that didn't totally suck. I also liked that the gym teacher made it because, of course, she didn't deserve to die. But then neither did Tommy, the principal or a lot of other people but it's Carrie, you can't save everyone who deserves to be saved.

Last edited by movielib; 11-05-02 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-07-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
reminder, re airing tonight at 8 pm on NBC
Old 01-08-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Next Monday on NBC, Carrie, the new version?

I'm watching this now for the first time on the chiller network, and I think it is very good! I'm at the part where Carrie is trying to learn how to use her special powers - practicing on a hair brush in her room (4 days from the prom)..............
Old 01-08-09, 07:57 PM
Suspended

I thought they already remade it but then remembered it was this.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzF7iEUhVbo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mzF7iEUhVbo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 01-08-09, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well, that's looks pretty ridiculous - I can see where Jeremy London's career is going......
Old 01-08-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This may be the least necessary thread revival I have seen around here.

Do you report in every time the TV is on or changes channels?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.