Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sopranos, Season 4

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sopranos, Season 4

Old 10-21-02, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sopranos, Season 4

I'm completely disgusted with this season of Sopranos so far. I mean, they've been off the air for over a year, and I (like most of my friends and family) were expecting some fireworks for Season 4. Not only did Season 3's finale suck, EVERY episode so far this season has sucked. Granted, some sucked less than others, but why the hell are they moving so slow?!?!?! I kept my faith in the writing, telling everyone (after the first 3 uneventful episodes) that they're just building to something big. So far, there have been some points to build on, but they sure as hell don't have to move so slow....

I will say that HBO has been doing a good job with the previews, though!! Because as I'm disappointed with the show, and my wife and I watch the previews for the next week, we both smile and say, "Next week's will be good!!!" ...THen of course, we're disappointed again. I just hope that the last half of the season is explosive enough to bring me back. I hate this season so far.

What do you all think?
Old 10-21-02, 02:41 PM

Well this season isn't as good as I thought it would be. It is still better than anything else out there imo. If the rest of the season is as good as last nights episode I will be a happy camper.

P.S. I think people were anticipating way to much with the year off between season 3 and 4.
Old 10-21-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a show about relationships and life set in the bizarre world of organized crime. Personally, I like it when shows take their time developing a story instead of pandering to the lowest common denominator and producing the kind of contrived nonsense you'd get on Must See TV.

Slow for the sake of slow could get boring, but clearly there's a lot building in this season. They're taking us somewhere with all of this, and for me, the resolution(s) will be much stronger having developed the necessary background to get there.

das
Old 10-21-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoy the storylines inside the Sopranos household more than the mob stuff, but still this season has been disappointing. The writing has missed the mark big time. The dialogue has not been that great, and too many plots seem forced. I for one am not hoping for something explosive to happen, I just want the writers to dig a little deeper. We've been treading on the surface level for so many episodse now. It's frustrating.

And please get Janis off the show! Has there ever been a more one-dimensional main character?
Old 10-21-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So you are one of the critics who wants ten thousand deaths in each episode, right?

Old 10-21-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
There is a relatively heated debate about this occuring in the pie-oh-my thread page 2.

SPY
Old 10-21-02, 04:31 PM

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
I have not been disappointed with Season 4 thus far.

Granted, it has gone different than I expected, but that is not a bad thing. For the record, episode 4, "The Weight" was one of the top 3 episodes ever, IMO.
Old 10-21-02, 04:48 PM
Banned

I'm with you. This season sucks donkeys. Everyone that I know thinks the same thing. There are some on this forum who want to turn the show in to "days of our lives" but count me out. I want mob violence, retaliation, betrayal, payback, death, blood, hookers, dead hookers, baseball bat justice, and gangland-style executions. The personal storyline stuff is ok in moderation, but when the entire show turns to a one hour study on estate planning, its time to move on...

Old 10-21-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
Just how long was the gap between season three and four?

P.S. A mediocre Sopranos episode is still worlds better than most TV shows out there on network on a good night.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 10-21-02 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree totally. Since the Sopranos do not have to fill a complete 22 or 24 show season, their stories usually are fairly strong, while other shows such as ER and CSI have to rely on crap in order to fulfill their full season. Need proof? Check out the last couple of shows of CSI and ER last season...