Reload this Page >

MacGyver returns to TV? Keen!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-17-02, 11:47 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they can pull this off - do the orignal show justice, that is - I'll so be there.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_macgyver_dc

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - The man who can short-circuit a nuclear missile with a paper clip and stop an acid leak with a candy bar is back -- but this time in the guise of "Young MacGyver."

The WB has made a production commitment with producer Paramount Network Television to pick up a new version of the action drama "MacGyver." But the new version of the series will focus on MacGyver's nephew. The original series starred Richard Dean Anderson And ran from Sept. 1985 to Aug. 1992.

"Young MacGyver" will follow the twentysomething hero as he leaves school and winds up joining the Phoenix Foundation -- the good-guy organization his uncle belonged to -- on a lark. Once there, he discovers that he's incredibly adept at stepping into Uncle MacGyver's shoes.

"Our MacGyver will be a little more irreverent than the original," said Carolyn Bernstein, senior VP of drama development at the WB. "It will have a lot in terms of the same elements of the original series, but with a brand-new cast of characters and updated for present day,"

WB and Paramount plan to start casting for the new "Young MacGyver" shortly. It is targeted for a 2003 bow.

The original "MacGyver" was the last show to pop a solid number for ABC in the pre-"Monday Night Football" time slot. Indeed, Paramount first approached ABC about the "Young MacGyver" project, but the network passed.

"Young MacGyver" comes on the heels of another franchise that the WB reinvented with a young slant -- the teenage Superman of "Smallville."

"We would never look a gift horse in the mouth, if given a familiar, adored franchise that came our way and we could age down to make it appealing to our audience," Bernstein said.
Old 10-17-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool! Hopefully, it won't be super cheesy....

I can see it now...young MacGyver....young Pete (or not)....young Murdock.

MacGyver was definitely my favorite TV character of all time.

Old 10-17-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe this will expedite the DVD release of the original series, too.

Old 10-17-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
I liked the early MacGyvers better when he was more of an agent than working for the Phoenix Foundation.

My question is why doesn't one of these cable networks with nothing better to do show MacGyver.
Old 10-17-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog

My question is why doesn't one of these cable networks with nothing better to do show MacGyver.
Somebody here said that WGN used to show it. I don't get WGN, though.

Maybe Paramount (or whoever owns the rights) is super picky about who gets to air the show?

Old 10-17-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Red Dog <HR SIZE=1>My question is why doesn't one of these cable networks with nothing better to do show MacGyver. <HR SIZE=1>

They ran MacGyver ad nauseum for many years after it went off the air -- in fact, I know I've seen it as recent as 2 years ago. I think some people have a nostalgic slant to their memories, since this show was cool in its day, but it really doesn't hold up to repeat viewings. It's one of those shows you should just keep safe in your mind and not tarnish the memory of by watching again.

das
Old 10-17-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey
but it really doesn't hold up to repeat viewings.

Given the non-serialized format, I would think it is an ideal program for repeat viewing. I mean look at USA - they show Nash Bridges and Walker Texas Ranger for goodness sakes. If those shows are on cable, I would think MacGyver can make it. How about on a network like Discovery Channel - that would be a logical fit.
Old 10-17-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Like I said, it ran for years on cable - I've seen every episode at least 5 times from its cable runs. By not holding up, however, I didn't mean it wasn't a good candidate, just that fans of the show don't seem to like it as much when they watch it again. It holds a huge nostalgic value for many of us, but in reality the show wasn't that good, something that's exposed when watching it years later.

It certainly is ideal for WGN and USA type networks, which is why they showed it twice a day for so many years. I assume they got tired of it though. I'm sure it will reappear if this Young MacGyver goes through.

das
Old 10-17-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So das, you're saying it doesn't hold up the way "Knight Rider" doesn't hold up? I watched "Knight Rider" a few years ago and could not believe how crappy it was and how enamored with it I was as a kid. As a kid, the show was great, but I doubt I could sit through a full episode now.

"MacGyver" on the other hand, seems like something I would love to watch again. Maybe you don't like it because you've seen it so damn much.

Old 10-17-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
So das, you're saying it doesn't hold up the way "Knight Rider" doesn't hold up? I watched "Knight Rider" a few years ago and could not believe how crappy it was and how enamored with it I was as a kid. As a kid, the show was great, but I doubt I could sit through a full episode now.
[/img]

See - I like the cheese factor. I think Superfriends is perhaps the cheesiest show in the history of television. I could sit through a marathon session of it and love every minute of it.
Old 10-17-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can definitely watch "Superfriends". In fact, if I see it on the Cartoon Network, I'll usually watch it.

However, there is no way in hell I could stand to watch "Knight Rider". Way too fake, way too dumb, way too corny.

Old 10-17-02, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
I can definitely watch "Superfriends". In fact, if I see it on the Cartoon Network, I'll usually watch it.

I actually record it - it is on every Sunday mornings at 5 - they are in the Legion of Doom episodes right now and those are the best.
Old 10-17-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-17-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In all honesty, I actually typed the comparison to Knight Rider in my first post, but I figured making reference to another show that doesn't hold up would piss someone off and derail the conversation, so I deleted it.

But, yes, it's exactly like Knight Rider. And to be honest, I think Knight Rider actually stands up to time better than MacGyver does.

I too like the chesse factor ... I have every episode of Saved By the Bell ... all series ... on VCD and VHS ... yes, I can appreciate cheese.

I've warned many friends to stay away from MacGyver in syndication lest they tarnish its memory, and they never listen. To a man, they've all agreed with me, though. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

das
Old 10-17-02, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting how they describe the new character as "irreverent". What this basically means is that the producers find it impossible to write a young character that is not a sarcastic prick who believes in pretty much nothing and has a slacker demeanor. Who will do the right thing in the end, but with an attitude that it was such a pain in the ass to do so.

Anybody want to take bets that the above description isn't going to be exactly the charcter that they create?
Old 10-17-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
In all honesty, I actually typed the comparison to Knight Rider in my first post, but I figured making reference to another show that doesn't hold up would piss someone off and derail the conversation, so I deleted it.

But, yes, it's exactly like Knight Rider. And to be honest, I think Knight Rider actually stands up to time better than MacGyver does.

I too like the chesse factor ... I have every episode of Saved By the Bell ... all series ... on VCD and VHS ... yes, I can appreciate cheese.

I've warned many friends to stay away from MacGyver in syndication lest they tarnish its memory, and they never listen. To a man, they've all agreed with me, though. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

das
Ooh...that doesn't bode well then if you think "Knight Rider" holds up better than "MacGyver".

However, I do like "Saved by the Bell" (and watch it at 4:00 AM on TBS)...so I guess I like cheese in some things and not in others.

I honestly think that watching "MacGyver" now wouldn't tarnish my memory of it.

Old 10-17-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sherm42
Interesting how they describe the new character as "irreverent". What this basically means is that the producers find it impossible to write a young character that is not a sarcastic prick who believes in pretty much nothing and has a slacker demeanor. Who will do the right thing in the end, but with an attitude that it was such a pain in the ass to do so.

Anybody want to take bets that the above description isn't going to be exactly the charcter that they create?
The guy just said that the character would be "a little more irreverent than the original", which is different than just saying that the character would be "irreverent" period.

The show would be about a younger, 20-something MacGyver and on the WB, so I could see why they would feel that the character would be a bit more irreverent, immature, disrespectful, etc.

If you're merely suggesting that the writers and producers are copping out by saying it's not possible to be young and not a slacker/prick/etc., then I can somewhat understand your point. However, keep in mind that the show is going to be on the WB, so there has to be some angst. I highly doubt that the show or character are going to be a lot like the original, but if you like how "Smallville" has taken a spin on the Clark Kent/Superman lore, I'd say that the new show should be worth watching. I hope so anyway.

Old 10-17-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth immortal_zeus <HR SIZE=1>I honestly think that watching "MacGyver" now wouldn't tarnish my memory of it. <HR SIZE=1>

That's what they all say ... you've been warned.

das
Old 10-17-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got some of the Knight Riders from Columbia House and I must say I can't believe how cheesy it was. I watched it when it was originally aired -- I was 5-8yrs old and loved it then. I still kinda love it now because of those memories and I can stand the cheese factor for the nostogia. Some episodes are a lot better than others too. I haven't seen MacGyver in years, but I would think the same thing would apply.

but why oh why does Paramount make their own network and then not pick this new series up and instead sell it to WB. I will never understand this part of Hollywood.