Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Snl 10/12/02

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-02, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Snl 10/12/02

I thought the racial profiling thing was great. They said what we're all thinking. hehe

And did I read that, correctly? John McCain is hosting, next week???
Old 10-12-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad so far. :yawn:
Old 10-12-02, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG...is it ever bad. I missed the first 15 minutes...was there a Buffy skit?
Old 10-12-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
no

Do they have a new crew or something? The technical stuff doesn't seem very well coordinated, at all.
Old 10-12-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a strange episode. All the early skits were complete suck. But I thought many of the later ones weren't too bad.

"Dirrty" was pretty funny. "I'm tired of people thinking of me as some bubblegum pop skank who looks like a hooker. I want them to think I'm a real hooker, like those that hang out around carnivals."

And Tracy trying to get SMG and Faith Hill to wrestle was good.

Tracy creaming his jeans while Maya mused about her breasts.

"Saddam, America is pissed off. Maybe not at you ... but you'll do."

Merv the Perv wasn't too bad, I guess.

Overall, a pretty crappy episode. It's a waste too, as SMG is one of the better hosts and is willing to go all out for the laugh. Really bad writing this week.

das
Old 10-13-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
"Saddam, America is pissed off. Maybe not at you ... but you'll do."
A priceless moment that made me feel all warm and fuzzy....talk about saying what we're all thinking! (or should be )

I'll agree that the writing was pretty bad this week, but they get high marks for a fine lesson in Freedom of Speech 101. God bless em....

Oh, and SMG needs to gain some weight already...geesh....
Old 10-13-02, 01:09 AM

Eh. Tonight's episode was not among the greatest. Sarah did a fabulous hosting job with the material she had to work with. By far my favorite sketch was the Christina Aguilera parody video. Sarah took the "edge" that CA is trying to go for and ran with it. The woman is fearless. Sarah, not CA. CA should be afraid, very afraid. Anyway, the rest of it was just kind of so-so, and as much as I enjoy Chris Parnell (who is from Memphis, btw), does he have to be in every sketch now that Will Ferrell is gone?

From Weekend Update:

Jimmy Fallon: "This is a picture of Michael Jackson, Siegfreid, Roy and some animals. Now the question is, is the orgy over or is it just getting started?"

This is wis and I have an opinion .
Old 10-13-02, 01:12 AM

My favorite part of SNL is Weekend Update, but as WIS said, this wasn't one of the greatest eps. Nothing to do with SMG, of course.

I think the problem lies in that, since the glue that held the show together - Will and Ana - have left, SNL is trying to find it's footing now. Their problem is, they are relying too too much on Chris Parnell as their locomotive on their comedy train.

Chris Kattan's heart left the show two seasons back. Jimmy Fallon, understood, takes less sketch material due to the fact that he does update and Tracy doesn't get material worthy of his great comedic timing (not including Brian Fellows - his best recurring sketch to date and still one of the funniest). All I'm saying - more Rachel, Maya, Horatio, and of course, Jimmy.

The best sketch hands down was The Making of the Video sketch. I saw part of this MOTV the other day *accidentally*. You know how you just can't turn away from horrific crash scenes? Yeah. Same thing. It was HORRIBLE. This was a fantastic sketch.

I can't believe they pulled the Jarrett's Room sketch. SMG in that would have been perfect. ~Runs away to cry~.
Old 10-13-02, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Funniest bit was Tracy Morgan trying to get SMG and Faith Hill to wrestle.

Tracy to Loren Michaels: "Get me a Pepsi, BIATCH!!!"
Old 10-13-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very underwhelming.

For me, the best part was the "Saddam, America's pissed off..." skit, but everything else was pretty mediocre. I would have expected more, but there were so many commericals and freeze frame shots of SMG. I bet there were only about an hours worth of content.

I didn't think the Christina Aguilera sketch was that funny, either. I think they could have done better. I'm glad that Jared sketch was cut, all they have are stoner jokes, which get old easily.
Old 10-13-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Funniest bit was Tracy Morgan trying to get SMG and Faith Hill to wrestle.

Tracy to Loren Michaels: "Get me a Pepsi, BIATCH!!!"
That was the only funny thing about the show. The rest of the show pretty much sucked.

Old 10-13-02, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by BlondScrnwriter
My favorite part of SNL is Weekend Update, but as WIS said, this wasn't one of the greatest eps. Nothing to do with SMG, of course.

I think the problem lies in that, since the glue that held the show together - Will and Ana - have left, SNL is trying to find it's footing now. Their problem is, they are relying too too much on Chris Parnell as their locomotive on their comedy train.

Chris Kattan's heart left the show two seasons back.
I never liked Kattan. He just isn't that funny to me. It's pretty sad when your best character is a male diva who attracts Garth Brooks.

I do agree with you on Weekend Update. When SNL has sucked in past seasons Weekend Update was usually the best thing to watch on the show.

I cracked up at Tina's line "Did anyone see that new Christina Aguilera video? I think it gave my tv gential warts."

Looks like this year is a rebuild year for SNL after the loss of Will and Ana.
Old 10-13-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
I only saw the first hour, but what I saw seemed typical when a yound actress hosts. You have a bunch of lame skits with the talent trying their best to make a good show with crappy material.

Honestly, these writers need to think of something that is actually funny because of the content and not count on someone else to deliver it. The real problem is that it is forgiveable for a host to suck at some of the skits, but when the host is who saves them and not the "professional" comedians in the cast, it really says something about the show's comic quality. Senator McCain is not a professional performer by normal standards, so I wouldn't expect a great show next week by any means.
Old 10-13-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's not very good so far...and john mccain is SURE not gonna help matters any!!! i can't believe he's going to host. and what an odd mix with the white strips.

the skits seem to be running too long, they might be funny in the beginning but they run them so long that they end up annoying. (like the safety skit, should have ended earlier)
Old 10-13-02, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by hgar78
it's not very good so far...and john mccain is SURE not gonna help matters any!!!
Yeah, I am totally not looking forward to John McCain. I am an SNL fan and the thought of it just makes me cringe.

I've also heard rumors that Simon Cowell is going to host soon. I have a hard time seeing that go over, but you really never know with personalities like that. A while back, I would have thought that Alec Baldwin would have been a terrible host, too.

Time will tell....
Old 10-13-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Their problem is, they are relying too too much on Chris Parnell as their locomotive on their comedy train.

All the more odd since Panrell was fired awhile back and was absent for a couple of months before they re-hired him in limited capacity.

I watched a little (becasue of SMG) and found it extremely unfunny. The "self defense" skit was part of that new cast members comedy act, seen him do it on different comedy shows a lot, and without the hideous silence form the audience.

Ferrels oddball, abstract, and angry man humor was the only reason I tuned into SNL the past few years. With him it was pretty half dead, but without him, for me, the show is rotting.
Old 10-13-02, 07:43 PM

The Arliss dvd box set skit towards the end was
kind of weird. Didn't even know it was being released.

Also SMG tattoo's are very small. They looked almost
like bruises or whatever.

Really guess I am out of the loop. Also did not know Andy Rooney
was in trouble or Noah Wiley was leaving ER next season.
Unless these were made up. I have only been watching
primetime tv series the last week or so.
Old 10-13-02, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My favorite skit were the Corona parodies. I almost turned the channel cuz I thought it was the real commercial. Jimmy Fallon cracked me up in those!

I was in NYC for the weekend, staying at the luxurious InterContinental Barclay hotel on 48th and Lexington. Watching SNL from my hotel room, it was kind of maddening knowing that I was only a few blocks away from Rockefeller Center.

Someday, I will be in that audience. Someday.
Old 10-14-02, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by cliffzig
I was in NYC for the weekend, staying at the luxurious InterContinental Barclay hotel on 48th and Lexington. Watching SNL from my hotel room, it was kind of maddening knowing that I was only a few blocks away from Rockefeller Center.

Someday, I will be in that audience. Someday.
I've been in that exact situation. I tried to get in when Calista Flockhart was hosting awhile back (not because of Calista, just because I wanted to see the show). The standby lines are atrocious. I hear they have gone to a full lottery though now. Did you try for the lottery? I'm curious to see how it works.
Old 10-14-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
If the shows continue on their current path, I could care less if I ever attend.
Old 10-14-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by btlives
The Arliss dvd box set skit towards the end was
kind of weird. Didn't even know it was being released.
It's not being released. It was a joke.

I thought it was hilarious, basically parodying how every single show is coming out on DVD, even the bad ones.
Old 10-14-02, 11:38 PM
Banned

My favorite parts were:

The Steven (Dell Guy) impression.

The Saddham will do routine

and, "Can we get some more urine in the fog machines?"
Old 10-15-02, 12:39 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agree that it started off real bad, but some of the latter skits had some real meat. The 'Saddam will do' was especially biting and I also liked the 'Dirty video' and the 'Merv the Perv' skit.
Old 10-15-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

didn't much care for the episode

although I did get a kick out of the Dell kid on Weekend Update.
hopefully it will get better as the season goes on...
Old 10-15-02, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was bummed, all I caught was the last 20 minutes, any ideas when this will be aired again? because id like to see it

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.