DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Sopranos - 10/13/02 - "Pie-O-My" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/242731-sopranos-10-13-02-pie-o-my.html)

rfduncan 10-16-02 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Creek Rat
Give me a break! This is a show about mobsters! It's all about Death count. If you want feelings there are plenty of other shows OUT there for you to enjoy. Watch sex in the city, Six feet under, Qweer as folk, but don't drag this show down the the same soft path. Killing stool pigeons and hookers is what hoods do. The whole feelings gimic is just a red herring to get the sheeple out to watch it and feel good about themselves. Duh.."Tony goes to da shrink so I can too." Well guess what; Tony's crazy and so are they.
Dude... you are SO wrong. Please tally the number of "hits" in the previous seasons:

Season 1: Emil Kolar (1.1 "The Sopranos"), Brendan Filone (1.3 "Denial, Anger, Acceptance"), Fred Peters (1.5 "College"), Rusty Irish (1.6 "Pax Soprana"), Jimmy Alieri (1.13 "I Dream of Jeanie Cusamano"), Mikey Palmice (1.13 "I Dream of Jeanie Cusamano"), Chucky Signore (1.13 "I Dream of Jeanie Cusamano")

Season 2: Spoons Parisi (2.1 "Guy Walks into a Psychiatrist's Office"), Sean Gigmonte (2.8 "Full Leather Jacket"), Matt Bevilaqua (2.9 "From Where to Eternity"), Richie Aprile (2.12 "Knight in White Satin Armor", Pussy Bonpensiero,

Season 3: Jackie Aprile, Jr.

According to the-sopranos.com the total body count is

Season 1 - 15
Season 2 - 7
Season 3 - 9

HOWEVER they include suicides (e.g. Vin Makazian) and natural deaths (e.g. Jackie Aprile Sr.).

While I'll admit season 1 was high, there has been a radically and steadily declining hit count on this show. The show was original going to be called "The Family" and was not trying to focus on the body count but on the human side of the mob.

Quite simply, you ARE watching the wrong show if you want body count. (Six Feet Under has a higher body count as at least one character dies at the start of each episode.)

Originally posted by sherm42
I just wish they would put Paulie in some damn episodes. He's such a great character and he's had barely 3 lines this whole season. What the hell?
Tony Sirico had to undergo serious spinal surgery which severly limited his mobility. His jail scenes were added in after his recovery. Paulie DOES, however, heavily participate as a full character in the last four episodes of this season.

Creek Rat 10-16-02 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
You have obviosuly missed the whole point of this show and will never get into it at all. I don't even think you are a fan as much as someone just looking to start crap. You want death count, go watch a Rambo movie. If you look at films like Goodfellas and The Godfather, you would realize they are more than just murder and death as well.
I don't know about you not thinking but I do KNOW you don't know me so let me inform you as to my "fan" status. Yes I am a fan. It's too bad that you think my expressing displeasure at the direction and tone of this television program is "starting crap" and frankly I don't care. I will express my opinion no matter how loudly the Soprano "experts" out there may cluck and shudder.

For a person calling himself "Dr DVD" I question your comparison of this seasons Soprano's to Goodfellas or the Godfather. I think YOU are the one missing the whole point here. These people are EVIL. They do EVIL things. By ignoring the darker side of their lives I think it makes the "feelings" side seem insignificant. Yes, show the family life but also show the FAMILY life.

Creek Rat 10-16-02 07:05 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Dude... you are SO wrong. Please tally the number of "hits" in the previous seasons:

While I'll admit season 1 was high, there has been a radically and steadily declining hit count on this show. The show was original going to be called "The Family" and was not trying to focus on the body count but on the human side of the mob.

Ha...Dude, I thought you were about to tell me I was geting a Dell!

You say a steady decline in body count; I say a steady decline in excitement. They could have a body count of zero and it wouldn't bother me if they would just pick up the excitement level a little bit. Well, except for Janice, kill her immediately, she bores me. Remember there are two families on this show and I would just like to see a little more of the "The Family" and a little less of the family. And Dude..keeping track of the dead people..man that creepy!

The NogginDrill 10-16-02 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
You have obviosuly missed the whole point of this show and will never get into it at all. I don't even think you are a fan as much as someone just looking to start crap. You want death count, go watch a Rambo movie. If you look at films like Goodfellas and The Godfather, you would realize they are more than just murder and death as well.

In terms of speculation about Christopher and Adrianna, I honestly think he would kill her before betrayng Tony. If he sides with her and gets away at the end of the season, then it would really "destroy" his character IMO. I don't know if Michael Imperioli has signed a contract for next year or not, but please don't let him go out like a wimp.

Actually, he seems to be one of the few who does get it. This show is becoming a sell-out to political correctness. Of course Goodfellas and The Godfather were about more than killing, but that was the central theme and the instrument in which they wielded was violence and retaliation. It seems to me a show about gangsters and dope-heads should be a little more violence based and a lot less like six feet under.

rfduncan 10-17-02 07:57 AM

Ha...Dude, I thought you were about to tell me I was geting a Dell!
Nice critique - also acceptable and just as unorigininal would have been "Where's My Car?"....

You say a steady decline in body count; I say a steady decline in excitement. They could have a body count of zero and it wouldn't bother me if they would just pick up the excitement level a little bit.
Sounds like you've changed your tune a little since your original reply post to grunter...

Originally posted by grunter
If all you're watching the show for is a quick blood-n-guts thrill hit, maybe you should try watching something else.
Then you replied...

Give me a break! This is a show about mobsters! It's all about Death count. If you want feelings there are plenty of other shows OUT there for you to enjoy.
Sounds to me like you equate the death count with excitement. Maybe you should be tuning into the Serial Sniper coverage instead of this show. :rolleyes:

huzefa 10-17-02 08:12 AM

Maybe you should be tuning into the Serial Sniper coverage instead of this show. :rolleyes:
I know it's sick but I still find the sniper coverage more intriguing than most things on TV.

The NogginDrill 10-17-02 09:17 AM

Nice critique - also acceptable and just as unorigininal would have been "Where's My Car?"....

Sounds like you've changed your tune a little since your original reply post to grunter...

Then you replied...

Sounds to me like you equate the death count with excitement. Maybe you should be tuning into the Serial Sniper coverage instead of this show. :rolleyes:

...hmmmm :hscratch:
I'm puzzled. Why would you go to such lengths to disparage Creek Rat's opinions? If he feels this show is lacking in excitement, what is that to you? A simple "I disagree" reply will surfice. As far as him "changing his tune" I could not disagree more. This show is getting boring quickly. It is turning in to a soap opera instead of a weekly edition of "GoodFellas". Some like the direction of the show and cant wait to find out what kind of nutty high-jinx that Janice will get in to next ! Some just love the fact that Carmella is now cross with Tony about .....estate planning!

These storylines may interest some, but it makes me yawn. When the plots revolved around Russian mob hits, Shaking down asian whore-houses, and becoming a "made man" it was a much better show in my opinion.

Once upon a time, I would not let my children in the Living room when the show was on due to its graphic nature and violence. Now they are free to play in front of my big screen. Some how I doubt Meadow's dropping out of college will harm their young psyche. :rolleyes:

Dr. DVD 10-17-02 10:06 AM

Sounds to me like you guys got spoiled and are whining that something dared to take a slightly different direction. It's a series, not a movie! You have yet to see how everything plays out in the long run. Personally, I NEVER saw Sopranos mob story as the main aspect but merely a backdrop, and that was the intention of David Chase.
Heck, while I risk heckling, I thought last season's Buffy was on par with the others as well!!! -ptth-

58lamber 10-21-02 10:21 AM

Episodes 5 and 6 are up on Kazaa now.

Creek Rat 10-21-02 06:03 PM

Then you replied...

Dude! You tore into me like I would actually care! Well I don't. Your opinion means nothing to me but it does make me all warm inside knowing you care so much :)