Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Jon Stewart Show Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The Jon Stewart Show Appreciation Thread

I just wanted to see who else out there finds the Jon Stewart Show one of the sanest breaths of fresh air on television. It's amazing how easy the sarcasm is when the material out there is so incredibly unbelievable. I look forward to my daily moment of zen every night now.....CBS really blew it when they passed him over. But then again, he wouldn't get to do such an amazingly candid and pointed brand of comedy on a bigger network.

My favorite moment of late was Bush completely botching the saying "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me...." Pure comic gold.....and also just a tad frightening

God Bless JS for saying what a whole helluva lot of us are thinking!!!!
Old 10-01-02, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

When John Stewart replaced Kilborn on the Daily Show, I thought it would never work, but over time JS has proved to be the funniest of all the talk show hosts. He's sarcastic without being annoying, and he's got great delivery.

I was really surprised to find out he's Abe Vigoda's son.
Old 10-01-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jason

really? He's Vigoda's kid?

Count me as a fan too. His deadpan delivery has gotten better ever since that stint he did with MTV.
Old 10-01-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"The Jon Stewart Show" was pretty good. I haven't heard anyone mention it in years. MTV cancelled it pretty quick. Too bad
Old 10-01-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by skar
"The Jon Stewart Show" was pretty good. I haven't heard anyone mention it in years. MTV cancelled it pretty quick. Too bad
Yes...but thankfully Comedy Central gave him five nights a week!!!

Perhaps the thread title could be edited to say "Daily Show With Jon Stewart?"
Old 10-01-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by bgills

Perhaps the thread title could be edited to say "Daily Show With Jon Stewart?"
Actually the Daily Show airs Mon-Thurs, 4 nights a week.

I agree that it is one of the best shows on TV. Smart, funny, and simply a pleasure to watch. I have a feeling Jon would be much worse on CBS. Kinda like Craig Kilborn isn't anywhere near as good on CBS.

Anyone know anything about "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart : Global Edition" airing on October 5, 6, and 12 at 10:30 pm EST on CNN Financial News???
Old 10-01-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by bgills
Unfortunately it's only four nights a week (no new Daily Show on Fridays).

But a big for Jon Stewart. One of the best comedians out there, with amazing delivery -- he's right up there with Dennis Miller.
Old 10-01-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also really like the show... I've watched it since Kilborn. I think the writers and correspondents should get more credit, though. Stewart is fine, but I don't think he is the main reason the show is good. If he left, I think Steven Colbert would be a great replacement.
Old 10-01-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hilarious stuff. It's really a goldmine of humor.
Old 10-01-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
That show is great!
Old 10-01-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Originally posted by Jason

When John Stewart replaced Kilborn on the Daily Show, I thought it would never work, but over time JS has proved to be the funniest of all the talk show hosts. He's sarcastic without being annoying, and he's got great delivery.

Wait a minute:
Family:
Mother: Marion Liebowitz, teacher; divorced from Stewart's father in 1971
Father: Donald Liebowitz, physicist; divorced; remarried
Brother: Larry Liebowitz; older
Half-sibling: from father's second marriage

Old 10-01-02, 04:02 PM
Banned

1. I too was confused by the thread title. The John Stewert show was a short lived (and piss poor) MTV talk show.

2. When Kilborne was on I never missed a single episode, I loved it!!! I quickly lost interest when he left. When I tune in now it seems far too cynical w/ an agenda to push, rather than just being "nutty".

3. When 60 Minutes does a segment on how funny your show is, then you aren't funny. I feel the show is too mainstream, as if everyone jumped on board too late. Sort of like how all the celebrities jumped on the recent Austin Powers sequel LOOOONG after the franchise had peaked. The same celebs who probably wouldn't even condescend to have seen the first (brilliant) Austin Powers in the theater, suddenly think its "so hip" to be "into Austin Powers" now that the sequels are bloated and unfunny. Fair weather fan syndrom.
Old 10-01-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
See, I never really liked the show with Kilbourn. At least, not as much as I did when Stewart came on board.

Plus I worked in the news industry as a photographer and some of the things they do to the people they interview literally make me cry with laughter.

I mean, some of the people that I had to keep a straight face while interviewing..how I would have loved to ridicule and mock them

Last edited by Draven; 10-01-02 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I was really surprised to find out he's Fran Liebowitz's brother.
Old 10-01-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only saw a couple episodes with Kilbourn as the host, and I have to disagree with Pants. Stewart is wayyyy better. To each their own I guess.

I love John Stewart. And I think he would be greatly missed if he left the show -- Though I think the writers deserve some credit, it's obvious that some of what Stewart does is adlibbed -- especially when he does interviews. He is also great at delivery & timing -- something that is usually more important than the joke itself.

I don't get to see the show as much as I'd like, but always enjoy it when I do catch it.

One of my favorite moments is when he interviewed Charlize Theron and he told her... "I always gets Australia and South Africa confused.... Which one is the one with the big knife?"

Charlize: Australia

"Which one is the one that doesn't allow black people to work?"

Old 10-01-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are just a few people who seem naturally gifted for the talk-show format. Jon Stewart is one of them. Carson, Letterman and Shandling (as a guest host or doing Larry Sanders) are the others that I can think of.

I also agree he gets to do "funnier" and "edgier" stuff on Comedy Central, but Worldwide Pants made a huge mistake not giving him the show after Letterman's. Jon Stewart could transcend what networks try and make you do and still be almost as good and original at CBS.

As good as it is, how long will Jon Stewart be able to stay? His star is rising and CC can't pay him nearly the money that someone is going to offer. Can they? Letterman is not going to want to go for nearly as long as Carson did and Kilborn will never get that show if Letterman has a say (and he will) and any sense not to repeat his first mistake.

If they had Jon Stewart in LA, after Dave, he could still do the show and do a few more movies as well and then take over for Dave. Who else out there can replace Dave? Only Conan and NBC probably won't let him go.

I just think Jon Stewart is great and I guess it's just wishful thinking that he might someday have a full hour, 5 nights a week on one of the major networks.
Old 10-01-02, 08:46 PM

I was really surprised to find out he's Alan Alda's cousin.