American Dreams..any comments?

Old 09-30-02, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Dreams..any comments?

Anyone catch this last night? Comments?
Old 09-30-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched about the first 20 minutes of it...it wasn't bad, but it didn't appeal to me. I just wasn't interested...maybe it was one of those "You had to be there" things....it reminded me of those minseries NBC ran...The 60's and The 70's. They were ok miniseries, but I didn't care.
Old 09-30-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought that it was pretty well put together. I'm not sure if it'll make it or not, but it was a fun hour.
Old 10-01-02, 06:43 AM

It was interesting, however all the characters were way to over dramatic, took away from the potential of the show. I don't think it'll last more than a season, it seems like a big rehash of wonder years with a less intersting family that takes the moral high road of 7th heaven with a darker twist. Does that make sense? If they want this show to succeed the actors are going to have to turn down the over acting and the writers need to remove the whining of almost every line.
Old 10-05-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmmm...I noticed it was airing on VH1 tonight. It's not really a network anymore, just a place to occasionally air videos in the morning, TVLand reruns, crappy movies, and Behind the Music. Such a waste of a network...

Anyhow, in later episodes, they have musical guests portaying real-life musicians on American Bandstand. I think I'll tune in to see how that turns out. I'm curious.
Old 10-05-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by freedexter
Hmmm...I noticed it was airing on VH1 tonight. It's not really a network anymore, just a place to occasionally air videos in the morning, TVLand reruns, crappy movies, and Behind the Music. Such a waste of a network...
So true.

BTW...Like America, 'American Dreams' has captured my heart.
Old 10-05-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was okay but that father really annoyed me. He seemed like such a jerk for no apparent reason. I mean, gee your wife already had what? four kids? and we're supposed to feel sorry for you that she says she doesn't want to get pregnant again? Plus the whole pressuring his kid to play football and giving the girl a hard time about following her dreams of Bandstand. I guess we are supposed to like him for finally allowing her to dance on Bandstand, but he never really had a reason to not allow her in the first place. I think they are going to have to write him to be a little more of a sympathetic character to get me to enjoy this show.

The pilot episode reminded me of that Sarah Jessica Parker 80's movie Girls Just Want to Have Fun -- teen girl wanting to dance but mean father won't let her.