TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

MDs 9/25

Old 09-30-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MDs 9/25

I enjoyed watched Mds, and this kinda reminded me of M*A*S*H. Two doctors that do whatever needs to be done to help the patient, without regard for the rules. One doctor that sleeps around. An administrator (think Col. Potter as a sexy woman) that's on thier side. I see some potential here, but I'm not sure if this one will last.

-Lucky

Episode info:
It's day one for hospital administrator, Shelly Pangborn (Leslie Stefanson), whose former experience running theme parks may explain why she faints at the sight of blood. As Pangborn meets the dysfunctional staff, she notes their disdain for administrator Frank Coones (Robert Joy) and for Nurse Poole (Jane Lynch), who prefers profits to patients. Dr. Bruce Kellerman (William Fichtner), head of cardio-thoracic surgery, and Dr. John Dalgety (John Hannah), a trauma surgeon, are an iconoclastic duo who buck the system to save lives.

Young intern Maggie Yang's (Michaela Conlin) unofficial first day on the job rounds out the insanity. She is coerced into assisting in an illegal "autopsy," a ruse that will allow Dalgety and Kellerman to perform a biopsy on a patient whom the hospital discharged earlier for lack of insurance. Meanwhile Dr. Kellerman, who is fighting with his ex-wife over custody of his son, grapples with a heart patient's refusal of life-saving surgery.
Old 09-30-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed MD's as well. But i have to wonder how long it will survive on ABC... ER already has the dramatic doctor thing going, and scrubs has the funny doctor thing going... It makes me doubt there's an audience out there for MD's.

One thing's for sure, MD's was much better than Presidio med...
Old 09-30-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As was evident from the previews for this show all summer long, it's a near direct rip-off of Article 99 sans the VA hospital. The good news is that Article 99 was quite good, and MDs seems to have captured a lot of the charm. While it's near impossible to replace Ray Liotta and John C. McGinley, Fichtner and Hannah have created pretty dynamic characters, and I'm interested to see where they take the show. I'll give it a chance and see where it goes.

das
Old 09-30-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Presidio Med tried to pull a sly move in order to draw viewers away from MDs. Presidio premiered on Tuesday and then had episode 2 the following night (wednesday) which is its permanent home. What they undoubtedly wanted to do was get people to watch it on Tuesday, find out they were interested, and watch it again on Wednesday instead of MDs.

I watched Presidio on Tues - it was ok but I wasn't all that impressed. I did pause for a second on Wednesday when deciding which show to watch. I was tempted to keep watching Presidio since I already saw the premier, but decided to watch MDs instead (also realizing the above ploy at that time too). I'm glad I did since I enjoyed MDs much more and will be watching this instead of Presidio from now on.
Old 09-30-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't normally like medical shows, but watched the premiere for William Fichtner. I thought the show was way too silly, and I'll probably drop it as my must-see schedule is so packed! Frankly, opposite "L&O", I don't see it lasting long.
Old 09-30-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
The only thing I didn't like about the show was the nervous intern. She seemed rather annoying. ;(
Old 10-01-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it...definitely got me to watch a few more episodes. The whole autopsy thing was quite funny IMHO.

Good show...for now.
Old 10-01-02, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth goLUCKY •<HR SIZE=1>The only thing I didn't like about the show was the nervous intern. She seemed rather annoying. ;( <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, she was annoying and her bad Dante "I'm Not Even Supposed to BE Here Today" Hicks impression.

das
Old 10-01-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

Put me in the "enjoyed" it category. I wasn't even sure if it had been set up to be recorded. Imagine my surprise right after Cedric when mds started. The only think that sucked is that the preview for this week got cut off. Oh well. I'll be watching anyway so it doesn't matter.