Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Firefly.....why does this look familiar??

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-19-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, a "space cowboy" and his crew roam the universe with a girl they find in a suitcase.

Hmmnnn, I've seen this idea before , where could they have possibly come up with this one? Let me see....could it be they ripped it off from a little anime series called Outlaw Star??

Before you know it the crew of Firefly will be searching for the Galactic Leyline. Oh the horror!!!

Last edited by Captain Harlock; 09-19-02 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. I'ld be pissed if I knew what Galatic Star was.
Old 09-19-02, 04:02 PM

Hmmm. If Chinese and German pirates with Taoist magic show up we will know that it was definately inspired by Outlaw Star.

A absolutely kickass anime series by the by.
Old 09-19-02, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Who's flying this thing?!"
Old 09-19-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uh well... it looks like it has hot steamy sex, so I'm there!

Saw a preview for it on MTV, I might watch a few episodes to see if it's going to be any good.

Brian
Old 09-19-02, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by bdshort
Uh well... it looks like it has hot steamy sex, so I'm there!

Brian
That's what cinemax is for. Without the network censorship....

At least that's what I've heard.
Old 09-20-02, 12:39 AM

Coming from Joss Whedon, I doubt that there'll be much familiar in Firefly. On the other hand, I could be horribly disappointed...
Old 09-20-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
It has Animal Mother and the dude from 2 guys and a girl
Old 09-20-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The guy getting kicked into the jet intake made it all worth it.
Old 09-20-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

nice reuse of Starship Troopers props and costumes
Old 09-20-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
The guy getting kicked into the jet intake made it all worth it.
When he was spouting off to Mal I was thinking, "Well here's season one's Big Bad." Then, KICK and SLHUP!
Old 09-20-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It wasn't too bad. I'll give it a couple more eps.

If this was supposed to be the big "action filled" episode that FOX rearranged the episode order around, I wonder what the pilot episode was like...

Or did I blink and miss the action?
Old 09-21-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just impressed they got the 'no sound in space' thing right heh. I don't watch very many shows that focus on space/spaceships (other than Star Trek), but it was nice to finally see a spaceship fly by and not hear a "woosh"
Old 09-21-02, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone know if there will be an encore presentation? I missed it.
Old 09-21-02, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588

If this was supposed to be the big "action filled" episode that FOX rearranged the episode order around, I wonder what the pilot episode was like...

Supposedly the 2 hour pilot will air in December.

Hmmnnn, I've seen this idea before , where could they have possibly come up with this one? Let me see....could it be they ripped it off from a little anime series called Outlaw Star??
Before it aired people were comparing it to Farscape and Andromeda. But now that I have seen it I definitely get the Outlaw Star/Cowboy Bebob Space Western vibe.
Old 09-21-02, 02:56 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been looking forward to this show while at the same time reading as little as possible about it, so I was really surprised to find myself watching a show that would more accurately be described as a 'western' than a 'space adventure.' But, I should know not to guess too much when watching a Joss Whedon show. Still, like I said, I was pretty shocked to see horses in the title sequence accompanied by a C&W song. As expected as a power ballad for a Star Trek show I guess.

I guess the space theme is for the eye candy but the writing should ideally carry the show. I liked that Mal is essentially Han Solo with an interesting supporting cast. And they already have a couple of mysteries set up. I sorta liked the mechanic-girl character for some reason even though she seemed pretty straight forward. Wasn't Rebecca Gayheart supposed to be on the show at some point - as the 'aristocrat' character maybe?

Anyway, pretty good first impression with the trademark Whedon surprises and pacing.
Old 09-21-02, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by mikehunt

nice reuse of Starship Troopers props and costumes
I said the same thing to my wife! I couldn't believe it! Ok ep though. I will tune in next week. Could someone tell me what the opening title sequence narrative was caused I missed it.
Old 09-21-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Highly enjoyable. I found myself grinning throughout the entire show.

I really think they mixed the high tech/low tech very well. I had read very little about this series (wanted to be surprised) and I WAS surprised to see it really is a western, with space ships. Lots of nice little touches, and the first mate had a kick ass gun.

And the jet intake bit was hilarious.
Old 09-21-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dgmayor
I'm just impressed they got the 'no sound in space' thing right heh.
It's early yet.

Now, if they could only get the motion thing right. “There are no banked turns in space.”

So, the Amazing Joss Whedon puts out an unremarkable effort?
Old 09-21-02, 12:15 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
Could someone tell me what the opening title sequence narrative was caused I missed it.

Something along the lines of:
"After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds of Earths were terraformed and colonized. The central planets formed the Alliance and decided that all the planets had to join under their rule. There was some disagreement on that point. After the war, many of the independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system, far from Alliance control. Out here people struggled to get by with most basic of technologies. A ship would bring you work; a gun would help you keep it. A captain's job is simple - find a crew, find a job, keep flying."
Old 09-21-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm not sure how I liked it. I don't watch Buffy or Angel, but I know of Joss Whedon. I'm checking it out b/c of the hype. I'll give it a few more episodes before I decide whether or not to keep it on my Tivo.
Old 09-21-02, 05:42 PM

I definately liked it. I agree, it looked very much inspired by miscellaneous anime (I noticed a couple instances of the Trigun music....). But it also had the standard Buffy/Angel style puns and quips, which are sweet, so I'll keep watching. And my friends will probably make fun of me for it, but screw them.
Old 09-21-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What I would say to Joss Whedon is: "Don't feel too terrible about this mess. Two out of three ain't bad."

I'll give it a couple more weeks but I sure thought the first show stunk.
Old 09-21-02, 10:26 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I looked forward to Firefly, and after the first episode, but this first episode impressed me not in the least. Utterly vanilla. With any luck, it may be better after seeing more episodes (including the pilot) but if it doesn't, it is NOT going to last long at all.

The one and only scene that I found interesting is the short couple of seconds where you saw the spaceship flying over the high-tech train with power/telephone poles running along the side of the track. I thought that was an interesting juxtaposition of what we concider "high" and "low" tech.
Old 09-21-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Jewel Staite...love her, check in the plus column.
The blue hands things...could be interesting
The jet intake thing...great scene....unfortunatly it came all the way at the end.

In the negative column is the incredibly predictable plot this week. Oh my good, was there ever any doubt about what Mal was going to do?
Also, I sure hope they do something with all those people on the ship, it seems like too many "regulars." I caught the name of about two characters. I've simply labeled them, exotic hooker, religous black guy, quirky pilot, savant mechanic, good hearted doctor (complete with ailing sister he can't help!!!) and out for himself 2nd IC. Oh, and Han Solo too!

Okay, I know you have to use archetypes to some degree, but at some point it just becomes lazy...and with this many characters I just think its going to happen.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.