Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Pyramid" on two affiliate stations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Pyramid" on two affiliate stations?

I noticed a promo for the new "Pyramid" show with Donny Osmond on my local NBC affiliate. I noticed Donny Osmond referred to the station by name, and said "San Diego, watch me on Pyramid!" That was nice, whatever.

A few weeks later, the same promo runs on KUSI, a local independant station. I did a double take: wasn't that on the NBC affiliate a few weeks ago?

Well, the show premeried at some point, and I noticed it was on the local indepedant station last night, at around 8 or so. Just a few minutes ago, I noticed it was on the NBC station. Same show, different contestants.

I don't get it, why would they air the same show, but different episodes, in two different networks? They aren't owned by the same company, the NBC station is actually owned by NBC, and KUSI is not.

A head scratcher, I guess.
Old 09-17-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they do this all the time in md. like the simpsons is on 2 networks 3 times a day, that 70's show is on twice on 2 diferent networks.
Old 09-17-02, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not a network show, it's syndicated which means local stations (including network affiliates) can purchase the right to air them.

It is odd that two local stations would have it, but are they overlapping stations that you get through your cable? For instance, my cable might show a channel based in a nearby city whose shows might ocassionally overlap with the Detroit stations.

Usually the syndication deals give a station exclusive rights in a certain market.
Old 09-17-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
It is odd that two local stations would have it, but are they overlapping stations that you get through your cable? For instance, my cable might show a channel based in a nearby city whose shows might ocassionally overlap with the Detroit stations.

Usually the syndication deals give a station exclusive rights in a certain market.
They aren't overlapping, they both are stations broadcasting out of San Diego and recieved on antennas. I'm still puzzled, but it's not like I'm a huge "Pyramid" fan. I'll watch it if it's on and I have nothing better to do.

I do get KTLA, the Los Angeles WB station, but according for FCC regulations, most shows are blacked out because they are airing on the San Diego WB station. Otherwise, I could switch back and forth and watch the exact same show at times.
Old 09-17-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We air it, and we're an ABC affiliate. and yes, like Hollywood Squares and many other game shows, it's syndicated. I'm not sure if the new millionaire is syndicated though.
Old 09-17-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
I'm not sure if the new millionaire is syndicated though.
It is.
Old 09-20-02, 11:05 AM

On another note, does it BUG anybody how "dumbed down" the show is?

During the first round, the celebrities have a hard time stringing more than 2 words together to describe the phrases... Someone even used the word "health" in trying to describe "HMO"... might as well have said "Health Maintenance Organization".

During the second round, the bonus clues are SO easy, yet the celebrities STILL have a hard time. Not to mention the fact that it looks like the rules have been "bent", allowing the clue-giver to use narratives ("what you wear when you're going out to the bars to look good" or "a something in the summer" instead of "a summery something".

I also liked the little pinging of the seconds counting down during the bonus round from the original, as opposed to the near silence of the current show.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-11-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Darq
On another note, does it BUG anybody how "dumbed down" the show is?

During the first round, the celebrities have a hard time stringing more than 2 words together to describe the phrases... Someone even used the word "health" in trying to describe "HMO"... might as well have said "Health Maintenance Organization".

During the second round, the bonus clues are SO easy, yet the celebrities STILL have a hard time. Not to mention the fact that it looks like the rules have been "bent", allowing the clue-giver to use narratives ("what you wear when you're going out to the bars to look good" or "a something in the summer" instead of "a summery something".

I also liked the little pinging of the seconds counting down during the bonus round from the original, as opposed to the near silence of the current show.

What do you guys think?
I prefer the old format better. To bad Dick Clark didn't return to this show. I prefer the 7 clues, 30 seconds format. I've only found this show this week, so I've only seen a couple episodes, and in both of them, I didn't see the person from the previous day come back. Do contestants only get one crack at the winners circle? I didn't see the winner from the previous day on the next day, and was wondering about that.
Old 10-12-02, 10:09 AM

We run it on my station too. Much better than The Ananda Lewis show which it replaced.