Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So how was LATHE OF HEAVEN?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A&E's remake of The Lathe of Heaven was on a few times last night... what did everyone think? (Assuming that people actually watched it.)

It's on my ReplayTV right now, and I won't have a chance to watch it until tonight.
Old 09-09-02, 01:55 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, assuming that this is the old PBS version from about a million years ago - it rocked. I remember watching when I was but a wee tike, and it looked cool enough to keep me hooked. I didnt understand one thing that was going on - but I still thought it rocked.

Hmmm, I might have to see about trying to track down a copy and watching it again.
Old 09-09-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering about this too. I wasn't able to watch it this weekend.

I think it's supposed to be the new version.
Old 09-09-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Well, assuming that this is the old PBS version from about a million years ago - it rocked.
No, I'm talking about the new remake that A&E premiered last night:

http://store.aetv.com/html/catalog/vp01.jhtml?id=70409

I agree that the 1980 PBS version rocked -- that's why I've been looking forward to the remake.

I guess (given the lack of responses) that no one watched this... oh well, I guess I'll just check it out myself in a few hours...
Old 09-09-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kinda weird that the new version is called "Lathe Of Heaven" instead of "The Lathe Of Heaven".
Old 09-09-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this new version was pretty good. The entire cast did a fine job, especially James Caan. They did change some plot elements, though. Overall, definately worth checking out.
Old 09-09-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Caught a bit of it.

It didn't strike me as being very remarkable, and what I saw was inferior to the original version.

But Lisa Bonet is mighty cute.
Old 09-10-02, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it last night and was pretty disappointed. The 1980 version was low-budget and a little clunky -- but it was also really interesting and remained pretty faithful to the book.

This version made quite a few changes (none for the better) and just seemed to ramble a lot. The characters never seemed to have much clear motivation for what they were doing. Overall, I wasn't impressed, although it's got me in the mood to watch my DVD of the original version again.

Note: Did anyone else have a problem with the sound quality on this? The dialog levels seemed really, really low to me (made worse by the fact that most of the dialog is mumbled by the actors). A couple of characters would be having a quiet conversation, music would be swelling in the background, and it would totally drown out what they were saying. Real annoying.
Old 09-14-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally got around to watching this. Aside from a coupla major plot conflicts, too much mumbling of lines, the music being extremely repetitive and boring, James Caan phoning in his lines, and no clear direction as to the purpose of the flick (love story or morality play), I thought it was kinda constipated.

Liked the '80 version better.
Old 09-14-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
The music, albeit beautiful and fitting for the sterile futuristic city and ambience, did seem too overbearing for some of the dialogue.

what really got me was the MAJOR plot changes! WHERE ARE THE ALIENS?
Old 09-14-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it alot. It was so refreshing for scifi genre. It felt like just group of people having intelligent conversation in scifi setting. No millions dollars in special effects, explosions, chases, etc. Was alot fun.
Old 09-14-02, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JANK

what really got me was the MAJOR plot changes! WHERE ARE THE ALIENS?
This is what chapped my hide too! I was digging it and even was fine with the fact that Dr. Haber’s realization of Orr’s true ability was never spoken and only lightly implied in a “paranoid patient” perspective. The sets and costumes were really good (for the most part, remember twine boy walking on screen for a couple of seconds) and was really beginning to think that this was a good adaptation.

Spoiler:
Then I realize there’s 30 minutes to go and they’re using it to set up some heavy romantic subplot. Right then I knew the grey population and the aliens were out the window and it was downhill from there. And what the hell was the deal with Haber being able to extract that power from the machine itself? Lame!

That “A Brave New World” remake was much, much better.
Old 09-15-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama
This is what chapped my hide too! I was digging it and even was fine with the fact that Dr. Haber’s realization of Orr’s true ability was never spoken and only lightly implied in a “paranoid patient” perspective. The sets and costumes were really good (for the most part, remember twine boy walking on screen for a couple of seconds) and was really beginning to think that this was a good adaptation.

Spoiler:
Then I realize there’s 30 minutes to go and they’re using it to set up some heavy romantic subplot. Right then I knew the grey population and the aliens were out the window and it was downhill from there. And what the hell was the deal with Haber being able to extract that power from the machine itself? Lame!

That “A Brave New World” remake was much, much better.
AGREED - you nailed the EXACT problem with this remake Kudama!!! What were they thinking? The original was much more disturbing and "out there," which is the whole reason for it's vitality and viability. This remake remided me of .... Gattaca type of science fiction, which is ....just ok but always make you wish it were a little better. I don't mean more special effects - not all all. It's the plot and story - it gotta grab you and keep you twisting.
Old 09-15-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by madara
I liked it alot. It was so refreshing for scifi genre. It felt like just group of people having intelligent conversation in scifi setting. No millions dollars in special effects, explosions, chases, etc. Was alot fun.
Just out of curiosity, have you ever seen the 1980's PBS version or read the book? I'm wondering if you would feel the same way if you had...

People here aren't disappointed that there wasn't tons of effects or explosions, just that the movie seemed to throw out a lot of the plot and cool ideas in the original story. (the gray-skins and aliens being the most obvious examples).

And the fact that this stuff seems to have been removed to make room for a meaningless love story (that goes nowhere) makes it all the more annoying. Explosions or not, it still seems to have been "dumbed down" for the masses. That's disappointing.

Anyway, if you did like this A&E version, you would probably be wise to seek out the DVD of the original -- it's only about $10 shipped from www.deepdiscountdvd.com