Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Loyal 'American Idol' Viewers - Will You Buy the Single?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will You Buy the 'American Idol' Single?
Yes
19.23%
No
40.38%
No - But I am Interested in Future Projects with Kelly and/or Others
40.38%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This POLL is for those who watched the show. Obviously people with no interest in American Idol likely have no interest in the single, so please only vote if you were a watcher of the show. I'm curious to see if TV viewership translates into album sales.

Personally, I watched every second of the show. I thoroughly enjoyed much of it, though it did wear thin near the end, particularly during the Wednesday episodes. I watched it because it was compelling television, seeing young people's dreams either come true before their eyes or shatter in disarray. It was interesting, and there were some unique talents that we got to see along the way.

But I have absolutely no interest in the single. None. Zero. I love Kelly's voice and would be very interested in a recording of some real music, even if it's not her own songs. But I have no desire to hear her sing Generic Pop Song #73 and #412 from the Diane Warren collection.

I guess many probably don't care, but for me, they shot themselves in the foot showing some of the contestants performing great music from other eras. I now know Kelly (and Tamyra) can sing great songs, so hearing her sing such vapid trash is very underwhelming for me.

So, how do others feel? I know many of us made comments like, "I hope my favorite contestant takes second place so he/she can get a recording contract but isn't subjected to the inevitable crap music the winner will likely have to sing." At the time, we were being cautiously cynical, and now it seems (to me) we're at that reality. Does Tamyra (or Justin) have a better chance at stardom by flying under the radar? Or will America gobble up this single like they do the latest hollow Celine Dion track on some blockbuster film?

das

P.S. I know we can all steal it over the Internet, so please try not to turn this into a "I'll just get it from [insert online theft method here]"

Last edited by das Monkey; 09-06-02 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-06-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched every single episode and I won't buy Kelly's single. I also watched every single episode of Popstars and Popstars 2, and didn't buy either of those albums either (though my then-girlfriend bought the Eden's Crush CD).

I'd be more likely to buy Tamyra's single/CD if she came out with one.

Old 09-06-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I imagine I will watch the development of all of their careers with interest, but I can't imaging buying any of their CD's. I very rarely buy CD's anymore, not due to the internet, or CD-RW, but because I mostly listen to books on tape, talk radio, or flip channels on the FM dial. Last CD I bought was that last Michael Jackson release, and I never even listened to it all the way through because none of his songs got enough airplay to make me interested. I can imagine me buying the new Christina Aguilera or Mariah Carey albums unseen (unheard), but that's about it.

Now, if one of them starts to get played all over the airwaves, and I like the song, I will buy the album. But that only happens about 2x per year (if that).
Old 09-06-02, 10:22 AM

I won't buy the single (actually I don't believe I've ever bought a single other than the Princess Di "Candle in the Wind.") But, I might buy her CD if I like the types of songs she sings. I imagine I'll grow extremely tired of "A Moment Like This" considering I already know the words and it just hit the airwaves yesterday. Hearing it 5 times in 2 days on American Idol and numerous times since then on radio and talk shows was enough to engrain it in my brain forever. I don't hate the song, but it gets repetitive- and I'm the type that buys every Celine album.

I really didn't care for the other original single, but Kelly and Justin mentioned on the Today show that they both write songs and intend to collaborate, so we'll see what they come up with.

I'd likely buy anything by Tamyra. She didn't sing anything throughout the competition I wouldn't want to hear again.
Old 09-06-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i will cave and buy the single. her voice sounds great on "a moment like this", they already have spinned it on the radio.
Old 09-06-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't buy singles, so nope!
Old 09-06-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted no because I think both of the songs are crap, but I have to admit the damn thing has been in my head since the show, and I haven't even heard it on the radio.

I think "Before Your Love" is a better song than "A Moment Like This." "A Moment Like This" is the radio single, but I assume "Before your Love" is the B-side. (Do we still call them B-sides on CD singles?)
Old 09-06-02, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
even though i never watched the show, i am still buying the cd (is it just the finalist, or will they have like all of the competiors do a compulation or both) since i like the song currently on the radio
Old 09-06-02, 05:22 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like others have mentioned, I don't buy singles. I won't buy her album blindly but if I can sample some of the other tracks and it's good, I might buy it.

I believe that Side b of the cd single will be the duet with Side-Show.
Old 09-06-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted no but will consider future projects for the same reasons as you, das. I despise the trite and vapid Warren ballads, and have no desire to own the single of one, even though it's being sung by a great talent. But if Kelly is able to record "good" music, I'm right there. And I too watched every episode. Music is too expensive to just "blindly" buy, imo. I buy what I've heard and liked, and that's it. Would I buy something from Kelly and Tamyra (and possibly Justin) that is more in line with the type of music I listen to? You betcha.
Old 09-06-02, 06:40 PM

No i won't be buying the single but i will buy her album when it is released in December. I looked over at amazon.com and its Number 1 on the top sellers list. One thing i don't agree with though is the fact they are going to release Justin's version of the song. This really pisses me off because why should he get to release those two songs. Its just not fair on Kelly. Did anyone see her on Jay Leno last night?
I'm please that Justin's single is about 4000 down in the sales though
Old 09-06-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I voted no. I heard one of those songs streamed on Netscape (I'll try to find the link again if somebody really wants it) and the studio version was just as boring as the other one, so why buy a CD (albeit a cheap one) that you aren't interested in?

If Kelly's next single isn't another "power ballad", (that term sounds soooo annoying) then I'll pay more interest. But for now, I could care less.
Old 09-06-02, 11:03 PM

I've loved her all along. She can make even mediocre love songs sound pretty great. I'm buying.
Old 09-07-02, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia
(Do we still call them B-sides on CD singles?)
No, it'd be called "Track 2".

Old 09-07-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will DEFINITELY buy the single and the CD's of all of the top 10 withthe exception of Jim V., Ejay, RJ, AJ....so basically all of the females plus Justin (yeah even Nikki).

I have all of the songs they sang on MP3 and Kelly's are the only ones that I play repeatedly so yeah I think I will get the single and the CD. Plus she seems like a good kid and deserves the support. I haven't heard the radio version yet but have watched her final performance of the song a least 15 times.

Just my 2 cents.

Sam
Old 09-07-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I voted no.

I loved the show and Kelly was my favorite, even voted a couple of times.
But I really loved it in the sense of a tv show, a reality type tv show and competition.

Along with trying to figure out if the single will sell, I'm trying to figure out if the concert will fill these arenas!?

They are playing 20,000 seat arenas.
Those sell out by the likes of U2, Bruce Springsteen, and yes ofcourse Nynsc and Britney Spears types too.
But these are "basically" 10 people doing karaoke! ANd if it were original songs we still haven't heard them to know if we want to even see it.

I know the appeal will be there to some kids that followed. But still wondering if they over-estimated how big it'll be.
I'll find out in about a 1/2 hour and see how ticket sales go when it goes onsale for my local venue in a few minutes.
Old 09-07-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would definitely buy Tamika's single if she came out with one.

"Y'all ain't s#%t!. Especially dat crusty ol' British dude."
Old 09-07-02, 02:11 PM

Brian Stew you are leaving something out

'' And that fat black mother f**ker as well''

I was in stiches at that
Old 09-07-02, 06:05 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I heard Kelly's single the following morning as I was driving my rental car through the streets of SLC, and I thought to myself, "That was fast!"

But I won't purposefully run out to the store and grab her CD single... so I voted "No."

But if I was walking around Wal*Mart and a had a few bucks to burn and was sick of those new Ranch Frito Twists, then I might grab her CD. I'll wait to see whatever else they'll offer...
Old 09-07-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like most of Diane Warren's songs but those two were really lame and even worse, boring. Must have been Celine Dion and Whitney Houston rejects.
Old 09-08-02, 12:37 AM

I will not buy the single. I started watching the show toward the end and Kelly was my favorite, but I just can't stand that song.
Old 09-08-02, 01:55 AM
Banned

I will not buy the Kelly single. However, I will buy Nikki's CD.