Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard anything "interesting" about Weatherman Christopher Nance?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Someone told me he got fired from channel 4 KNBC in LA.

IF TRUE...and I don't know that it is.

Does anyone know why? I had heard a story but I don't believe it.

Old 08-28-02, 11:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Looks like he had a problem in April...

A cardinal rule in broadcasting: On-air talent should be careful what they're saying when wearing a mike. On April 29, just after 9 a.m., the "Today" show's Al Roker tossed the weather segment back to local stations. At KNBC-TV, Los Angeles, viewers saw about 20 seconds of black, during which weatherman Christopher Nance was heard saying, "Are we ready guys? All right, let's do this one for the pedophiles." When the video appeared, Mr. Nance stepped into the picture carrying a feed from Mount Wilson -- but by then the allotted time for the local weather segment was over and the station cut back to network programming. KNBC management met with both Mr. Nance and the operations manager to implement safeguards to ensure the situation won't happen again. They also reiterated to talent that when a mike is on, they should consider it live. Another precaution put in place was that audio will not be recorded until the cameras are rolling and all tapes will be double-checked to make sure they are cued correctly. "Obviously this was an inappropriate off-camera comment that was accidentally broadcast on air," said a KNBC spokesperson. "KNBC and Christopher Nance deeply regret it and apologize to our viewers."

Last week I told you about Christopher Nance's comment of "here's one for the pedophiles" accidentally getting on the air. I understand he felt very bad about it. It was obviously some sort of joke, that was never intended for the airwaves. As bad luck would have it for him, last week turned out to be a time in which some NBC Network bigwigs were in town. Doh! I'm told that there was a gasp in the newsroom when Nance's comment came on the air. And, a KNBC insider tells me management let it be known that they did not want anyone to talk about at KNBC, even among themselves.

Nance declined to respond to my email about this last week, and he also declined to respond to what I'm about to tell you. This is merely a glimpse into someone who clearly has a temper. But what is more surprising than what he said (it's coming) is who he said it to. What Nance said was "I am going to shove my foot so far up your ass you'll taste shoe polish." He said that to his boss! Yes, he said that to news director Nancy Bauer Gonzales. (My source on this is NOT Bauer Gonzales, but an ear witness). Of course GM Paula Madison was told about his comment, but I'm told nothing happened to him because of it.

His anger had something to do with charity events he plugs with graphics during his morning weather. Bauer Gonzales insisted on knowing ahead of time what they were and having a manager sign off on them. It is not clear to me where the problem arose, but obviously it had Nance very upset. In some newsrooms, I would think threatening to shove your foot up the news director's ass might even be insubordinate. Obviously, Madison likes Nance very much.

I should also add that when I talked with him last year regarding his book program which he sells to local schools, which I believe has created at least the appearance of a conflict of interest for him and KNBC, he was perfectly nice and civil in answering my questions. Though if I ever taste shoe polish in my mouth, you will all be the first to know.
Old 08-28-02, 11:16 PM
X
Administrator

Oh yeah, since this is TV...
Old 08-28-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Was he fired for this?

I haerd a very weird story about something else he supposedly did at KNBC...involving some woman. But I don't think it's true so I'm trying not to repeat it.
Old 08-29-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been wondering where he's been lately. I actually like the new guy a lot better. Nance always kind of creeped me out.
Old 08-29-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He likes women? Who knew?
Old 08-29-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Guys, I'm so glad you posted this.
I was wondering as well. I first heard about this on Fox's morning show. So....Robo....GIVE IT UP!!!!
No one cares but the 5 of us anyway. Pretty far fetched to think he was fired for something stupid he said in APRIL.
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED???
BTW, what happened to Carlos Del Valle? He is gone as well...
Don't tell me its a bloodbath at my favorite reality show...The Channel 4 News!
Who's next....Chuck Henry?
mini
Old 08-29-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
He didn't have a good enough weather name. Dallas Rains and Johnny Mountain kept making fun of him and he ran away like a little girlie man!
Old 08-29-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speaking of early morning L.A. News programs, anyone remember The Kent After-Shocknic incident?
Old 08-29-02, 02:32 PM

That giant sucking sound...

KTLA's entertainment reporter Sam Rubin inferred it was similar to a well-known incident that involved a President and a girl named Monica....

...what could that mean... ;-)
Old 08-29-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: That giant sucking sound...

Originally posted by dotheDVDeed
KTLA's entertainment reporter Sam Rubin inferred it was similar to a well-known incident that involved a President and a girl named Monica....

Christoper Nance was getting a BJ from Chuck Henry while Arafat waited in the Rose Garden????

mini
Now...what happened to Kent Shocknek.
I had NO IDEA that the LA newscasters were so sordid. No wonder I loves my newz.

PS: About 57 days until "STORMWATCH" .
Old 08-29-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: That giant sucking sound...

Originally posted by dotheDVDeed

Well since you brought it up

Someone told me....and I don't know if it was true.... he was caught "gettin' busy" with some chick.... AT THE STATION.....and it MAY BE on security tape
Old 08-30-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huh. I always kind of assumed he was gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Y'know with the big carnation and all. Of course chicks always go for the gay guys so I shouldn't be surprised.

Pssst Mini! Chuck Henry is a robot! They'll never fire him, they'll just turn him off.
Old 08-30-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My gay-dar needle shot into the red when I saw him lisping the forecasts. But he likes the chicas, go figure.
Old 08-30-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

speaking of Weatherman, whatever happened to KCBS 2's Steve Rambo ?
Old 08-30-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

at all of us "news" junkies!
BD/CC, Chuck is real. PAUL JOHNSON is the robot. HE really died in 1972. That bastard used to do the Sunday late news, then do the early (5 a.m.) weekday traffic AND the wether!! THEN do the evening news!!!
We were convinced they kept him in a cage in the station!

mini
Old 12-31-06, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by X
Looks like he had a problem in April...

A cardinal rule in broadcasting: On-air talent should be careful what they're saying when wearing a mike. On April 29, just after 9 a.m., the "Today" show's Al Roker tossed the weather segment back to local stations. At KNBC-TV, Los Angeles, viewers saw about 20 seconds of black, during which weatherman Christopher Nance was heard saying, "Are we ready guys? All right, let's do this one for the pedophiles." When the video appeared, Mr. Nance stepped into the picture carrying a feed from Mount Wilson -- but by then the allotted time for the local weather segment was over and the station cut back to network programming. KNBC management met with both Mr. Nance and the operations manager to implement safeguards to ensure the situation won't happen again. They also reiterated to talent that when a mike is on, they should consider it live. Another precaution put in place was that audio will not be recorded until the cameras are rolling and all tapes will be double-checked to make sure they are cued correctly. "Obviously this was an inappropriate off-camera comment that was accidentally broadcast on air," said a KNBC spokesperson. "KNBC and Christopher Nance deeply regret it and apologize to our viewers."

Last week I told you about Christopher Nance's comment of "here's one for the pedophiles" accidentally getting on the air. I understand he felt very bad about it. It was obviously some sort of joke, that was never intended for the airwaves. As bad luck would have it for him, last week turned out to be a time in which some NBC Network bigwigs were in town. Doh! I'm told that there was a gasp in the newsroom when Nance's comment came on the air. And, a KNBC insider tells me management let it be known that they did not want anyone to talk about at KNBC, even among themselves.

Nance declined to respond to my email about this last week, and he also declined to respond to what I'm about to tell you. This is merely a glimpse into someone who clearly has a temper. But what is more surprising than what he said (it's coming) is who he said it to. What Nance said was "I am going to shove my foot so far up your ass you'll taste shoe polish." He said that to his boss! Yes, he said that to news director Nancy Bauer Gonzales. (My source on this is NOT Bauer Gonzales, but an ear witness). Of course GM Paula Madison was told about his comment, but I'm told nothing happened to him because of it.

His anger had something to do with charity events he plugs with graphics during his morning weather. Bauer Gonzales insisted on knowing ahead of time what they were and having a manager sign off on them. It is not clear to me where the problem arose, but obviously it had Nance very upset. In some newsrooms, I would think threatening to shove your foot up the news director's ass might even be insubordinate. Obviously, Madison likes Nance very much.

I should also add that when I talked with him last year regarding his book program which he sells to local schools, which I believe has created at least the appearance of a conflict of interest for him and KNBC, he was perfectly nice and civil in answering my questions. Though if I ever taste shoe polish in my mouth, you will all be the first to know.

What precipitated Christopher Nance's bad behavior? There are always two sides to any story, and sometimes more.
Old 12-31-06, 09:31 PM

Christopher Nance-what happened to him?

We heard NBC's side of the story. Now what is the other side?
Old 12-31-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Wow. Someone did a google search for their own name. Are you broadcasting weather in Fargo, ND now?
Old 12-31-06, 10:44 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by ebonee1
We heard NBC's side of the story. Now what is the other side?
So what are you doing now?
Old 01-01-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy weather and God be with you,

das
Old 01-01-07, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow.
Old 01-01-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea what any of this means, but anyone that dedicates the weather to pedophiles is okay in my book.
Old 01-01-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
What is the deal with weathermen? Out here we had a weatherman Joe Lizura (NBC 7/39) that suddenly disappeared from the broadcast and his info was quietly removed from the station's website. He had been at the station for over 10 years. The local paper said he told co-workers he just bought a house and was going to work on it. He went on vacation, came in for a day to pick up personal stuff and never came back. The station won't comment other than saying he's no longer employed and it was "personal reasons".

I work with a woman who's friends with his replacement (Pat Brown) so I asked her to ask Pat. She said Pat has no clue and no one will say anything to the crew.... although she suspected it had to do with a woman. Weird.
Old 01-02-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
So, ebonee1, what did you hear about Christopher Nance? Why was he fired in 2002?