Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Buffy' Rates Worst Show for Families

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-02, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling
Yeah, I thought about that one, too. (Someone told me about Reba... I swear, I've never watched it. ) Apparently, this is okay, while Lorelai Gilmore's on-again-off-again with Rory's dad isn't. Whateva. Lorelai and Rory forever!
nah...I say Spike and Buffy 4ever!! heh, just kidding
Old 08-24-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL, 7th Heaven... the most saccharine family programming on TV today.
Old 08-25-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the worst top ten are amongst my favorite shows, like Buffy, Friends, etc. Similar to others, I can't understand why CSI would be on the list, since it really isn't a family show, although it is in prime time. What about ER, which also has had cases of incest? There was a show a couple of season ago where Carol accidently let it slip in front of a father that his son had gotten his daughter pregnant, and then the father got a gun, and wanted to kill his son? Now that's family entertainment! (ok, it was a couple of years ago, but with the recycling of the storylines on ER, it might show up again this season)...

What about all of the crime stuff on A&E? I watched some of that, and that can be pretty graphic as well (I am speaking of the true crime shows, and not dreck like Murder She Wrote)...
Old 08-25-02, 07:39 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't understand why CSI would be on the list, since it really isn't a family show, although it is in prime time.
I think that's the point of the list... listning "non-family" shows, like (according to their criteria) CSI. It's not a list of "family" shows that miss the mark (again, according to their criteria).
Old 08-25-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
Yea, that's why they have the warning at the beginning of the show. Those losers want us to watch all the lame milksop shows so they can let the TV babysit for them. It's called parenting and they don't want to have to do it full time.

I'm thrilled shows like Buffy and Angel are on the air. They can piss off.

Very True!
Old 08-25-02, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Well, this is certainly not surprising.

One of the main characters on Buffy is a Witch and a lesbian. Pretty much Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh's worst nightmare, I'd imagine. Rejecting the male sexually and the Christian God spiritually.

I also see the occasional dig at Christianity in Buffy, as well. "This world is older than any of you know and, contrary to popular mythology, it did not begin as paradise." Of course, if they really wanted to **** off the God Squad, they could've made any religious symbol vampire repellent -- crucifixes, stars of david, pentagrams, mandalas -- and put all religions on equal footing.

I'm also sure that the themes of female empowerment don't sit well with our conservative friends. That they can cite violence and sexuality for reasons to smear the show is somewhat fortunate for their cause.

But it's really surprising to see Sabrina on the recommended shows. Those types of people (who flip out over Harry Potter) generally get their panties over anything that features magick or occult themes. Be sort of funny if Sabrian were to start getting an eye for the ladies...
Old 08-25-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Buffy does contain massive themes of female empowerment, but it also contains its equal share of violence and sex. Not that I mind, but in a list of shows that are "family friendly" I'm guessing they're not welcome themes.

From going over the PTC's website, they seem to be keen on an idea of "family hour" the 8-9PM (7-8CST) time period, where they would hope that networks would air programming more suitable for families. Buffy airs at 8, which probably added to ranking.

Here's the text of their reasoning for listing Buffy where they did:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer chronicles the adventures of Buffy Summers, the latest in a long line of women endowed with exceptional strength and agility in order to fight vampires and demons.

Buffy ranks number one on the worst list because of its graphic violence and sex, often mixing the two with an underlying occultist element. In one episode near the end of the season, Willow murdered the man who shot and killed her lover, Tara. Willow, furious at the loss of her companion, bound the man to a tree, cast a spell that skinned him alive, and then incinerated him in a burst of flame.

Buffy’s sexual content has also become more explicit. Buffy and Spike (a vampire) were shown having sex numerous times this season. In one episode, their lovemaking was so violent that the house they were in literally fell down around them. In the musical episode, oral sex was strongly suggested between Tara and Willow.

Adding insult to injury, Buffy airs during the family hour to a core audience of teenaged fans.

Again, I can see there reasoning.
Old 08-25-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm surprised Smallville was so high!
Old 08-25-02, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I jaunted over to their website to see what was going on, and Smallville was rated highly because:

Smallville presents a positive picture of family life. Clark Kent’s loving adoptive parents, Jonathan and Martha, provide him with wise counsel and guidance, and instill in him the morals and values that guide him as a hero.
Although episodes have contained mild sexual innuendo and comic-book-style violence, the overall themes of good triumphant over evil, the importance of helping others, and the moral imperative for those who are strong to aid the weak is unique in today’s television landscape.
Old 08-25-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Well, this is certainly not surprising.
I also see the occasional dig at Christianity in Buffy, as well. "This world is older than any of you know and, contrary to popular mythology, it did not begin as paradise." Of course, if they really wanted to **** off the God Squad, they could've made any religious symbol vampire repellent -- crucifixes, stars of david, pentagrams, mandalas -- and put all religions on equal footing.
I don't suppose they'd like this one:

Buffy: What's that?

Giles: It's a reliquary. Used to house items of religious significance, most commonly a finger or some other body part from a saint.

Buffy: Note to self: religion: freaky.
Old 08-26-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Back in the 60's, the Southern Baptist church put out a pamplet entitled DARK SHADOWS: SATAN'S FAVORITE TV SHOW.

Nobody paid much attention.

I don't think Buffy and Angel have much to worry about either.
Old 08-26-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Steve Phillips
Back in the 60's, the Southern Baptist church put out a pamplet entitled DARK SHADOWS: SATAN'S FAVORITE TV SHOW.

Nobody paid much attention.

I don't think Buffy and Angel have much to worry about either.
Ah, Steve, that was one of the famous Chick cartoon tracts... Hard to believe they're still alive and kicking today, but they're as popular as ever...

http://www.chick.com/catalog/tractlist.asp

My favorite is Dark Dungeons: Debbie thought playing Dungeons and Dragons was fun...until it destroyed her friend....

Or for one more genuinely scary, this one about the Holocaust, trying to prove that the Catholic church was responsible for the genocide of Jews--and will do it again... yeesh...

Last edited by adamblast; 08-26-02 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 07:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

Hey, this is one thing we can agree on. Chick makes other anti-Catholics look good.
Old 08-27-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course Buffy is not a good family program. (Family Programs= a show that all ages can watch without worry of bad habbits being learned) I sure wouldn't let my kids watch it if they were young. Once they are old enough, fine.
Old 08-27-02, 04:05 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Static Cling
Hey, this is one thing we can agree on. Chick makes other anti-Catholics look good.
I THINK that I may have ran across one of these in "the real world" once. Some of the most disgusting, disturbing propaganda that I've ever seen (not just about Catholics-- about many things).
Old 08-27-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Continuing OT, I used to run into the Chick cartoon tracts constantly when I was a kid... Everywhere I turned, someone was leaving them somewhere... And someone used to leave them in my apartment building laundry room only a couple years ago. As you might expect, they're just about as extreme on all the major social issues as they are about their pet satanic conspiracies... I'm surpised they don't have a Harry Potter tract on their list by now, but hey...

"Saving souls for only 14 cents a copy..."
Old 08-27-02, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going back to the original artical:

They condemn Friends because it depicts a single woman who gets pregnant and decides to keep the baby. If the writers had decided to have her get an abortion these family groups would be up in arms. So they depict her HAVING the baby and they are still up in arms. There really is no pleasing some people.
Old 08-27-02, 06:28 PM
Admin Emeritus

I think it's more than that... Friends also has a lot of sex jokes. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's one of the reasons mentioned in the article.
Old 08-27-02, 10:35 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by adamblast
Continuing OT, I used to run into the Chick cartoon tracts constantly when I was a kid... Everywhere I turned, someone was leaving them somewhere... And someone used to leave them in my apartment building laundry room only a couple years ago. As you might expect, they're just about as extreme on all the major social issues as they are about their pet satanic conspiracies... I'm surpised they don't have a Harry Potter tract on their list by now, but hey...

"Saving souls for only 14 cents a copy..."
http://www.ffrf.org/nontracts/
Old 08-29-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Going back to the original artical:

They condemn Friends because it depicts a single woman who gets pregnant and decides to keep the baby. If the writers had decided to have her get an abortion these family groups would be up in arms. So they depict her HAVING the baby and they are still up in arms. There really is no pleasing some people.

Oddly enough Reba is on the "good" list!

...I guess it's ok only if your still in highschool?