NBC says, "Even LESS Olympics"

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-02, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBC says, "Even LESS Olympics"

From the IMDb newswire:

NBC Cutting Olympics Coverage in 2004

NBC and its cable networks, MSNBC and CNBC, are planning to reduce their coverage of the 2004 Olympics in Athens by 12 hours versus their 2000 coverage, Bloomberg News reported Wednesday, citing a preliminary schedule given to advertisers. The reduction comes after the 2000 Summer Games from Sydney attracted the smallest audience in 32 years. The decline was attributed to the fact that nearly all events were carried on a tape-delayed basis due to the difference in time zones. NBC reportedly is figuring that the Athens contests will also be delayed, given the 7-hour difference in time between Athens and New York. "What it comes down to is NBC trying to maximize its profitability, '' former NBC Sports executive Mike Trager told Bloomberg. "They may figure they can sell ads on programming other than the Olympics for more money."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is downright obscene. They should have it taken away from them. The olympics is evry 4 years, but NBC is robbing me of watching it. I don't get to see anything. They only show the mainstream events, and ignore events like weight lifting, rowing, kyaking, pentathalon. NBC can just die for all I care.
Old 08-22-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
show it live, thats all i want
Old 08-22-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I think thats all anyone ever wanted out of it. showing it delayed really effected it since you knew who won before or without even seeing it.
Old 08-22-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
show it live, thats all i want

It will never happen, not with that time difference.

The Summer Olympics suck anyway. The Winter Olympics are so much better.
Old 08-22-02, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The next olympics is in Greece which is a 7 hour delay. It's closer then Australia which was a 10 hour delay.
Old 08-22-02, 05:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog

So what. NBC f**ks up the winter olympics too. I remember one sunday last winter when instead of showing olympics they showed golf!!!

It happens once every 4 years, there are enough events to fill 24/7 coverage, you're network has exclusive rights, its sunday, people are sitting on their couch all day, AND YOU SHOW GOLF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sell the golf to another network!!! Why are you showing golf. Meanwhile the olympics is happening and no network is covering it.
Old 08-22-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice thing about being a (northern) border state. CBC covers it well (a lot less commercials too)
Old 08-22-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sad thing is, they'll cut out all the marginal stuff (which I happen to enjoy) and give us more of "what we want."
Old 08-22-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Perhaps at some point they'll just stop showing on tv and simply release the Olympics straight to DVD when it's done...
Old 08-22-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The could cancel the Olympics entirely and I wouldn't care less.
Old 08-22-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
The could cancel the Olympics entirely and I wouldn't care less.

No way, man. How else can I get my quadrennial fix of grown men throwing round stones at the air?
Old 08-22-02, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I think all the networks should bid on the Olympics so that all the events get on the air, preferably live. each network would get different events
Old 08-23-02, 12:16 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog

I think if they can show Every world cup game live from korea/japan, they sure as hell can show all the olympics live, it's not like they don't have the channels.

cnbc
msnbc
and regular nbc, and it's in the summer when there is nothing on tv but re-runs..
Old 08-23-02, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Instead of bidding on the entire olympics, they should bid on individual sports so that the bigger ones can take the basketball and hockey, etc. and the little ones can have shotput, kayaking, etc.
Old 08-23-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by BadlyHealingBoy

I think if they can show Every world cup game live from korea/japan, they sure as hell can show all the olympics live, it's not like they don't have the channels.

cnbc
msnbc
and regular nbc, and it's in the summer when there is nothing on tv but re-runs..

You are forgetting that MLS paid ABC/ESPN to show those games because there is no US network interest in the World Cup. Usually it is the other way around.

NBC is spending billions to show the games - they are trying to maximize their profits and they believe that tape-delay coverage in Prime Time is the best way to do that. Does it suck? Of course.

There probably will be some live coverage of minor sports (archery, kayak, synchronized swimming, etc) on the cable outlets but don't expect to see any live track, swimming, or gymnastics.