American Idol (8/20)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Big Quasimodo

Same show.

Yes but you said Nikki did very well.

I'm sorry but anyone with a working pair of ears could hear that she sounded terrible and was basically yelling the whole time.
Old 08-20-02, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot

Yes but you said Nikki did very well.

I'm sorry but anyone with a working pair of ears could hear that she sounded terrible and was basically yelling the whole time.
Your opinion. Mine, and the three judges on the show, was that she sang her best song ever, and made a selection that fit her vocal style. And most of them have had no problem calling her "terrible" (deservedly so) on her previous performances. None did tonight.

A "rock" voice may not lend itself to vocal arrangement that suits your taste, but many great vocalists "yell" their lyrics, depending on the song. Not that I would compare Nikki to a great rock vocalist (not in a million years), but Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, Janis Joplin, and even Steven Tyler "yell" the vocals to some of their greatest songs. She doesn't diva to the Star Search crowd, but it takes all kinds.

Last edited by Big Quasimodo; 08-20-02 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-20-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kelly may be a nice person and all but put up against Tamyra in the finals, there is a good chance she will lose and the reason being because a lot of people don't like the fact that when she does sing, it seems as if she isn't trying to sing naturally, but instead is trying to imitate popular black female singers. The ones that come to mind are Aretha Franklin and Mariah Carey. This was recently brought up in an Entertainment Weekly article from a couple weeks ago. I had always noticed it but let it go. If she wants to make it she will have to stop trying to sing soul and stick with pop or country. Because I don't think they will be able to market her as the white girl singing R&B, especially with her country accent.
Old 08-20-02, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Kelly may be a nice person and all but put up against Tamyra in the finals, there is a good chance she will lose and the reason being because a lot of people don't like the fact that when she does sing, it seems as if she isn't trying to sing naturally, but instead is trying to imitate popular black female singers. The ones that come to mind are Aretha Franklin and Mariah Carey. This was recently brought up in an Entertainment Weekly article from a couple weeks ago. I had always noticed it but let it go. If she wants to make it she will have to stop trying to sing soul and stick with pop or country. Because I don't think they will be able to market her as the white girl singing R&B, especially with her country accent.
Old 08-20-02, 10:32 PM

Your opinion. Mine, and the three judges on the show, was that she sang her best song ever, and made a selection that fit her vocal style. And most of them have had no problem calling her "terrible" (deservedly so) on her previous performances. None did tonight.

A "rock" voice may not lend itself to vocal arrangement that suits your taste, but many great vocalists "yell" their lyrics, depending on the song. Not that I would compare Nikki to a great rock vocalist (not in a million years), but Robert Plant, Roger Daltry, Janis Joplin, and even Steven Tyler "yell" the vocals to some of their greatest songs. She doesn't diva to the Star Search crowd, but it takes all kinds.
Point taken

However I don't think she is in the same league as Kelly and Tamyra and I guess thats what I am comparing her too. Also Randy(not that anything he says means anything) was not to much with the praise...he basically said that the songs fit her better but her performance wasn't so hot. Paula thinks everyone's performance is great and Simon smoked some crack before the show or something.

But I know where you are coming from, I just didn't think it was so great.
Old 08-20-02, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Daytripper

What do you mean "muffed"? And she has sang "delayed" before on other songs. That's her style. She's trying to make the song her own. If you didn't like it, fine. But it wasn't a bad performance. It wasn't her best. But it certainly wasn't the trainwreck you're making it out to be. This ain't Ryan we're talking about here.
She didn't just "delay" the words, she sang the wrong ones. I know the song pretty well and it tripped me up when she wasn;t singing the right verse. She probably could have covered it better but the backing vocals were singing one thing and she was singing another. So instead of backing vocals it turned into an unintentional duet.
Old 08-20-02, 10:36 PM

Kelly has one of the most natural and dynamic voices on the show. She is a natural born singer and her voice fits perfectly in every type of music they have thrown at her (well except good ole Burt).

Who's to say what she would be singing if (when) she wins.
Old 08-20-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think at this point in the competition you have to take judges praise cum grano salis. Any 4 of the remaining contestants could win. Even the less talented have demonstrated a serious fan base. It's time to stop judging and start promoting.

das
Old 08-20-02, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by palebluedot

Point taken

However I don't think she is in the same league as Kelly and Tamyra and I guess thats what I am comparing her too. Also Randy(not that anything he says means anything) was not to much with the praise...he basically said that the songs fit her better but her performance wasn't so hot. Paula thinks everyone's performance is great and Simon smoked some crack before the show or something.

But I know where you are coming from, I just didn't think it was so great.

It wasn't. It's all context. Given Nikki's repertoire, it was great. Just like given Kelly's repertoire, "It's Raining Men", sucked. Side by side, those two performances might be equal, but given the context of their previous performances, one was significantly above average, and one was significantly below.

Now I gotta go find my crack pipe again.....
Old 08-20-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Big Quasimodo •<HR SIZE=1>Now I gotta go find my crack pipe again..... <HR SIZE=1>

Here ... use mine. I've got another.

das
Old 08-20-02, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I think at this point in the competition you have to take judges praise cum grano salis. Any 4 of the remaining contestants could win. Even the less talented have demonstrated a serious fan base. It's time to stop judging and start promoting.

das
Ah, some more cynical American viewpoint...I agree fully.

Mariah, Whitney, Celine my ass! He hopes their records sell like Mariah, Whitney and Celine!!!!
Old 08-20-02, 10:44 PM

It wasn't. It's all context. Given Nikki's repertoire, it was great. Just like given Kelly's repertoire, "It's Raining Men", sucked. Side by side, those two performances might be equal, but given the context of their previous performances, one was significantly above average, and one was significantly below.

Now I gotta go find my crack pipe again.....

Agreed,

and anyway I sniffed some glue before the show so I don't know what I'm saying at all
Old 08-20-02, 10:46 PM

If Tamyra and Kelly are having trouble with their voices now, how do they expect to maintain a touring schedule? I mean tonight all they had to do was sing two songs, and they didn't even sing the full songs.
Old 08-20-02, 10:48 PM
Banned

I don't know what you guys are smoking, but Nikki did awesome. Even my girlfriend who hates her admitted she had the best 2 performances of the night. (And simon and the AI message boards agree).

Kelly had a great second song, but her first just blew. I think Tamyra and Justin should be the bottom two, with (believe it or not) Tamyra going. She blew the first song and the second was just ok.
Old 08-20-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Muffed as in "sang the wrong words to the song". And, making the song her own, Randy, can also lead one to believe she doesn't know the words.
Not everyone, Simon.
Old 08-20-02, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Big Quasimodo •<HR SIZE=1>Ah, some more cynical American viewpoint...I agree fully.

Mariah, Whitney, Celine my ass! He hopes their records sell like Mariah, Whitney and Celine!!!!
<HR SIZE=1>

So place your bets, folks.

Will the winner be:

A) A looney
B) A crackwhore
C) The biggest airhead to walk the Earth
D) Too hard to follow in the footsteps of Mariah, Whitney, or Celine

das
Old 08-20-02, 10:51 PM

If Tamyra and Kelly are having trouble with their voices now, how do they expect to maintain a touring schedule? I mean tonight all they had to do was sing two songs, and they didn't even sing the full songs.
Because they are learning a song for probably the first time in 7 days and they have to learn it with a new arrangement. Most of the songs haven't been played straight. So they are practicing all day every day with no rest. Plus a singers voice must be trained over time. I doubt leading up to this competition they sang the same song all day every day without rest.

On tour they would sing for maybe an hour or so and have a full day or more before having to sing again.
Old 08-20-02, 10:52 PM

Not everyone, Simon.
Thought that might be coming!

Really, I don't know how well you know the song, but us late 30's - early 40's folks have heard it a few hundred times. She screwed the pooch on the lyrics. Like Jadzia said, they canned background vocals sang "ruff and tough and strong and mean" and Kelly sang something.....else.

It may have been "Worst performance they've ever seen", but I can't be sure...
Old 08-20-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth WWE Jedi •<HR SIZE=1>If Tamyra and Kelly are having trouble with their voices now, how do they expect to maintain a touring schedule? I mean tonight all they had to do was sing two songs, and they didn't even sing the full songs. <HR SIZE=1>

To be fair, I imagine their schedule for the past few months has been insane. I would also guess they're learning a lot of these songs as they go and practicing constantly. Not making excuses for them, but I think they'd be more prepared for a tour.

das
Old 08-20-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia

She didn't just "delay" the words, she sang the wrong ones. I know the song pretty well and it tripped me up when she wasn;t singing the right verse. She probably could have covered it better but the backing vocals were singing one thing and she was singing another. So instead of backing vocals it turned into an unintentional duet.
And it's such a deep song, God forbid you don't stick with the original word for word.
Old 08-20-02, 10:54 PM

Justin's voice cracked a little during that last song and it showed in his face. He knew he did it. He should have saved the dancing for if he won the competition. I agree with Simon, that was just a bad Michael Jackson impersation.
Old 08-20-02, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Big Quasimodo •<HR SIZE=1>Ah, some more cynical American viewpoint...I agree fully.

<HR SIZE=1>

So place your bets, folks.

Will the winner be:

A) A looney
B) A crackwhore
C) The biggest airhead to walk the Earth
D) Too hard to follow in the footsteps of Mariah, Whitney, or Celine

das
My bet is, in the end, Star Search indoctrination will win out, and Kelly wins. But I'm pullin for the goofy lookin guy all the way! Can you imagine him in a remake of "What's Happenin' Now, Again". Hell, he's already got the wardrobe. Hey-Hey-Hey, Raj!!!
Old 08-20-02, 10:56 PM

And it's such a deep song, God forbid you don't stick with the original word for word.

Hey, shouldn't you be dialing the phone for Kelly instead of wasting precious finger strokes defending here her? C'mon man, priorities!
Old 08-20-02, 11:00 PM

Well it is pretty bad if you sing one thing and the backing vocals sing another. The back up is taped so they can't make mistakes.
Old 08-20-02, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it is pretty bad if you sing one thing and the backing vocals sing another. The back up is taped so they can't make mistakes.
For the last time (I hope), how do you know that wasn't the plan? Thing is, neither of us ever will. So let's agree to disagree and move on!

And the back up is taped so they can't make mistakes!? Tell that to Milli Vanilli. At least the one that's still alive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.