Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Farscape "Hiatus" -- Is there anything we can do?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...besides bend over and grab our ankles?

Cooper2000 brought this to our attention on another thread but this DEFINITELY demands its own thread.

http://www.farscapeweekly.com/hiatus_2002.htm

At least we can look forward to numerous Stargate SG-1 chain reactions
Old 08-16-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This bites! Guess there's no rush for me to catch up with the eps I have on tape. But as long as they keep making eps, I suppose I can live with it - unhappily, but I can live with it.
Old 08-16-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't want to be a Negative Nancy (like one Stan Marsh), but I think Bonnie Hammer and Sci-Fi have made it clear that they are beyond reason. They are trying to change the network into something else, something that seems remarkably unlike Sci-Fi. People accused me of overreacting to previous bonehead moves by these jerkoffs, but there is no logical (positive) explanation for dicking around with Farscape again. I see one of two scenarios:

1) Bonnie Hammer is the most profoundly moronic person to ever walk the face of the Earth.

2) Bonnie Hammer is intentionally trying to sabotage a show that has dominated their ratings until they started ****ing with it.

Neither of the two bodes well for Farscape. Depending on the severity of this latest development, there will most definitely be an organized campaign to keep Bonnie Hammer from killing another great show. Dragon*Con, one of the largest Sci-Fi gatherings in the world is less that two weeks away; Hey, McCord, and Tupu are all scheduled to appear. I'm sure it will be the subject of much discussion.

At this point, I wonder if the proper course of action is to approach the network logically (something that's proved futile in the past) or to just launch a massive hate campaign against Hammer. One thing's for certain: hand written letters make the most noise. And it wouldn't hurt to start contacting advertizers now. Perhaps the focus isn't to save Farscape, but to save all science fiction television from this monster.

das
Old 08-16-02, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't want to contradict das, cause thats just not right.

But I don't find the Farscape hiatus all that troubling. The reason is simple, Farscape has always gone on hiatus at this time of year, only to return in January (except last season). I don't know the specifics of the whole deal, but I gather that the decision to go with 11 eps before the hiatus and 11 after came not on Hammer's decision, but the Farscape's crew. They've come out and said that they've crafted the series so that the hiatus begins on a major cliffhanger, one that would warrant a few months of drooling anticipation.

Bonnie Hammer is an idiot, she's turning Sci-Fi channel into the bad straight-to-video movie network, but she did make one smart move and that was sign full season orders for Farscape season 4 and 5. I understand that not having an awesome show (my favorite) around for four months sucks, but there's no need to panic if the situation doesn't warrant it.
Old 08-16-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth clemente •<HR SIZE=1>I don't want to contradict das, cause thats just not right.

But I don't find the Farscape hiatus all that troubling. The reason is simple, Farscape has always gone on hiatus at this time of year, only to return in January (except last season). I don't know the specifics of the whole deal, but I gather that the decision to go with 11 eps before the hiatus and 11 after came not on Hammer's decision, but the Farscape's crew. They've come out and said that they've crafted the series so that the hiatus begins on a major cliffhanger, one that would warrant a few months of drooling anticipation.

Bonnie Hammer is an idiot, she's turning Sci-Fi channel into the bad straight-to-video movie network, but she did make one smart move and that was sign full season orders for Farscape season 4 and 5. I understand that not having an awesome show (my favorite) around for four months sucks, but there's no need to panic if the situation doesn't warrant it.
<HR SIZE=1>

You're quite right. Don't let my chantings of doom lose sight of the key words of my post: "depending on the severity of this latest development." All things being equal, I wouldn't be too bothered by this, since as you accurately pointed out, Farscape's schedule has always been a bit staggered (though not in this manner). Considering the building chain of events, however, and the ridiculous hiatus we were treated to last season, I've grown a bit paranoid.

I've made the mistake of proceeding logically and reasonably before when it comes to Hammer, and it hasn't played out very well. Still, you are correct. There's no need to panic, and I apologize if my post gave that impression. More accurately, I'm proceeding with extreme caution and gathering my forces for what I fear may be a new confrontation. Farscape may be in absolutely no danger whatsoever, and I will be quite thrilled if that's the case. However, if Bonnie's working her mojo again, I prefer not to be blindsided. Fool me once ...

In any case, I would hope at least Lani will have some information about the show and its position with the network during Dragon*Con. 4 months is fine ... another 8 month hiatus however ...

das

P.S. I obviously am unable to speak about Hammer without descending into a tirade about her status as a Darklord Hellbeast of Evil, so take some of my more "intense" comments as just needing to vent a bit.

Last edited by das Monkey; 08-16-02 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-17-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
[B*snip*
Considering the building chain of events, however, and the ridiculous hiatus we were treated to last season, I've grown a bit paranoid.

I've made the mistake of proceeding logically and reasonably before when it comes to Hammer, and it hasn't played out very well. Still, you are correct. There's no need to panic, and I apologize if my post gave that impression. More accurately, I'm proceeding with extreme caution and gathering my forces for what I fear may be a new confrontation. Farscape may be in absolutely no danger whatsoever, and I will be quite thrilled if that's the case. However, if Bonnie's working her mojo again, I prefer not to be blindsided. Fool me once ...
*snip*[/B]
das, where you lead, buddy, I will follow.

Since I didn't watch Farscape until they replayed them in order before the third season finished, I had no idea the trials and tribulations it had been through. But if there's a chance this horrid woman could wreck it for us, I'm behind any campaign that helps Farscape and stops her. The rest of the programming (SG-1 excluded) is bad enough to warrant immediate action, imo.

Please fill us in if you hear anything at the convention, kay?