TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 8-13

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HotThang

"RJ, you know I love those initials man!"

Could it be because they stand for REAL JOKE????
I read at another forum, someone called him Rhonda Jean.

Old 08-14-02, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not too shocking I guess. While Nikki was pretty craptacular last night, R.J. had a string of bad or average performances, and a strong case could be made that he shouldn't have made it to tonight.

This has got to be killing Nikki. She's one of the "Bottom ##" each week. The stress of that must by a nightmare, combined with the knowledge that she sucked it up last night and had to stand there while they kicked R.J. off.

das
Old 08-14-02, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not too shocking but I was positive Nikki was gone...oh well, next week I guess.
Old 08-14-02, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally posted by palebluedot
Not too shocking but I was positive Nikki was gone...oh well, next week I guess.
Nikki seems to have a real strong fan base. Even if she sucks, they're on the phone voting for her. NExt week's theme should be better for her.... maybe she'll get lucky.

Anyone else find it funny they never show her family? They did it once, and they looked like they just got off the Springer show.
Old 08-14-02, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth matta •<HR SIZE=1>I disagree with you DAS. The themes suck. There are tons of "idols" that can't sing Burt Bacharach well. Does that mean they're not good singers?

edit: when i say "idols" i mean famous singers that are regarded as idols
<HR SIZE=1>

See, my American Idol would be more than just a voice.
It's great you have that idea, but that doesn't make it the definitive definition for an american idol. Many people think Ozzy is an idol. I'd like to see him sing Burt Bacharach(SP?)
Old 08-14-02, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth matta •<HR SIZE=1>It's great you have that idea, but that doesn't make it the definitive definition for an american idol.<HR SIZE=1>

Uh ... that's why "my" was in italics.

das
Old 08-14-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by matta

It's great you have that idea, but that doesn't make it the definitive definition for an american idol. Many people think Ozzy is an idol. I'd like to see him sing Burt Bacharach(SP?)
Well, Ozzy isn't an American and I'd like to see Burt Bacharach sing Crazy Train.
Old 08-14-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy

Well, Ozzy isn't an American and I'd like to see Burt Bacharach sing Crazy Train.
But Pat Boone sang it. In fact, that is the theme song from "The Osbournes."
Old 08-14-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WWF Jedi

But Pat Boone sang it. In fact, that is the theme song from "The Osbournes."
That's why Pat Boone is truly THE American Idol.
Old 08-15-02, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ugh! I taped the vote show last night, came home from a late softball game, and started playing the time-shifted VHS tape, and I passed out after the group medley. I wake up, read this thread, and I find out the chipmunk is gone, and the skunk is still there. Ugh.

What's scary is that the skunk might even survive next week if it's all about the votes.
Old 08-15-02, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Patman •<HR SIZE=1>Ugh! I taped the vote show last night, came home from a late softball game, and started playing the time-shifted VHS tape, and I passed out after the group medley. I wake up, read this thread, and I find out the chipmunk is gone, and the skunk is still there. Ugh.

What's scary is that the skunk might even survive next week if it's all about the votes.
<HR SIZE=1>

Quick math:

Each of R.J. and Nikki got over 2 million votes from the 14 million they announced. Conservatively, we'll just say 3 million for each of the others. If 2 million people actually voted for R.J., I wonder if they'll vote again, and where will their votes go. I would assume it's all girls and gay men, and likely that vote won't go towards Nikki. But then again ... who knows. Once thing I'd venture is pretty certain; as the remaining male contestant, Justin's sitting in pretty good shape right now.

das
Old 08-15-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought there was some Caller ID detection in place to discard "repeat" votes?
Old 08-15-02, 09:14 AM
fab

Justin's nose.

While not directly related to either of the last 2 shows.. something's been bugging me. Doesn't seem that Justin's nose is awful Michael Jackson-ish? Do you think he had a nose job?

Not that it matters much, just curious.

--
fab
Old 08-15-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,246 Likes on 4,267 Posts
I figure Nikki just HAS to be voted off next week. Can't we vote for the one to boot out? That would be a lot easier, don't you think?
The best news for the EW cover kids is that Christina was voted off when she was (rather unfairly, IMO). The difference in talent between them and Nikki is so dramatic, even Paula Abdul could notice it.
Old 08-15-02, 12:02 PM
Banned

http://www.elitestv.com/NewsPub/Stor...293500919.html

What do you guys think about this?
Old 08-15-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth matta •<HR SIZE=1>http://www.elitestv.com/NewsPub/Stor...293500919.html

What do you guys think about this?
<HR SIZE=1>

Pretty biased and hollow, I thought. I've made no secret that I really dig Nikki and am pretty thrilled she's made it as far as she has. But her performance two nights ago was quite awful, and just because Bacharach was gentleman enough to complement her on her coach tape doesn't mean the judges unfairly criticized her performance. Nikki has star quality and could have a very successful public career, perhaps even in singing, but despite the ambiguous nature of the show's title, I think recent discussions have show that the focus of the show is Pop Idol, not just Idol. And she's just outclassed in that regard ... in my opinion. The author of the article feels otherwise, and that's fine ... it's a vote. But Simon's criticism of her this past week was quite warranted.

I do agree that Jackon and Abdul have been pretty hollow throughout the whole thing, praising anything that walked on stage, and Simon has shown an obsession with Christina, but other than that, Simon's been dead-on with his criticism of the contestants. There's no conspiracy here; the camera does love Nikki, but vocally, she's behind. Just because she's the author's favorite doesn't mean she's everyone's favorite, and the judges opinions are just as valuable as his. I would love for the competition to stop right now and have all 4 of the remaining contestants release albums. Each clearly has his/her own style and could do something I'd consider buying.

When there are only 30 contestants, it's easy to compliment those who are near the top. But when you're down to 6, being the 5th best in the group is not as near the top as it is the bottom. Like I said, I'm thrilled to see Nikki still in this thing. I love her look and her sound (given the right genre). But she's against some serious heavy-hitters, and liking her doesn't blind me from that.

das
Old 08-15-02, 12:38 PM
Banned

[off topic] has anyone else noticed that pop is apparently on it's way out?
Old 08-15-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth matta •<HR SIZE=1>[off topic] has anyone else noticed that pop is apparently on it's way out? <HR SIZE=1>

Is it? I'll be there for the parade if we run it out of town. I wouldn't mind seeing some Anger Rock (term "Rock" used loosely) start a'walkin' too.

das
Old 08-15-02, 06:15 PM
Banned

Anyone have video of Paula crying? I need a good laugh.
Old 08-15-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can anyone confirm that Caller ID is used to ward off "ballot stuffing" calls?
Old 08-15-02, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Patman
Can anyone confirm that Caller ID is used to ward off "ballot stuffing" calls?
It's not. Not in the least.

You can call and vote as many times as you like for whoever you like (provided you can get through; from what I hear, the more popular choices lines are almost always busy) in the two hours voting is open for your neck of the woods.

I really doubt they'd ever approach 14+ million calls if they actually restricted votes.
Old 08-17-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

American Idol Votes Could Be Skewed

SAN FRANCISCO –– Producers of the hit Fox show "American Idol" say the talent contest is being slammed by "power dialers" trying to influence the results by making as many as 10,000 votes a night from a single phone line.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Aug17.html
Old 08-17-02, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth ten41 •<HR SIZE=1>American Idol Votes Could Be Skewed

SAN FRANCISCO –– Producers of the hit Fox show "American Idol" say the talent contest is being slammed by "power dialers" trying to influence the results by making as many as 10,000 votes a night from a single phone line.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Aug17.html
<HR SIZE=1>

Amazing they didn't figure this out until now.

"I think Nikki might cater more to the computer nerd group," Pinto said. "A lot of these computer nerds, they're kind of like closet anarchists."
Don't make me break out my phreaking tools!!!

Perfetto said he cast a mere 1,000 votes in two hours in a furious feat of manual redialing.
What a loser. Only 1000?

I think some people misunderstand this competition. They're not searching for the best performer by any means. They're searching for the one who will generate mad cash. People who go out of their way to make a contestant win are very likely the ones who will buy any crap that has that contestant's name on it. I imagine the producers are perfectly OK with it.

das
Old 08-17-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's an addendum to the American Idol story which came out on the A.P. wire:

" An expert on telephone systems says the show's producers could have frustrated efforts to skew the results by imposing stricter ground rules or insisting that each voter punch in a code or number during the call."

I'm really not sure this would help either.
Old 08-17-02, 10:46 PM
Banned

Sounds to me like someone is trying to make excuses....

He also said that 95 percent of all calls are getting through to the toll-free numbers representing each competitor. The calls then are tabulated to determine each week's survivors and loser.
********. I called 20 times over 2 hours and got through 5 times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.