Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

American Idol 8/6

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
American Idol 8/6

So, what did you think of the Big Band choice? Personally, I didn't care for it at all. Who knows, maybe it sounded better in the studio. But it came across flat to me on TV. Once again, I thought Kelly performed better than anyone on the show. I love this girl. She's so real. I truly hope she wins this competition. I though Tamyra was the second best tonight. I also felt Justin was as bland as ever. And I wish he'd stop shaking that mop when he sings. I just want to grab my shrub sheers everytime I see him. And the other three were more bland than Justin. If there is any justice, Kelly and Tamyra will be the final two.
Old 08-06-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As soon as they said Big Band I lost complete interest, but I watched anyway. Snooze-fest.
Old 08-06-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well if you don't like this type of music then I guess it would be a snooze-fest...but it wasn't for me. Nice to see them throwing these different genres at them and how they react and perform. I wonder what the style will be next week...Opera maybe?

Tamyra and Kelly were the only performers that actually seemed to understand the music and what big band music is all about because they nailed their performances. I loved the "flash America" quote from Kelly...she seems very down to earth.

This has become a really tough choice between Kelly and Tamyra for me now. I have given up on Nikki and R.J. and to a lesser extent Justin and Christina.

With that said I am supprised R.J. didn't rip the sleeves off his jacket. My guess is he is gone tomorrow.
Old 08-06-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what happened to 80's night? I thought that had been announced as the next theme?

Boy, RJ really blew it tonight. When he forgot the words, that was probably the biggest mistake I've seen in the finals since Ryan's meltdown a few weeks ago.

And what wasthat suit? I thought he was going to start singing "Beauty School Dropout" to Frenchy or something. And it looked about two sizes too big for him, like he was David Byrne from the Talking Heads or something.

He did recover well from his flub and he ended very strong, but the first minute or so was terrible. I popped in on his message boards at the AMerican Idol site and even his fans seem disappointed. So I think Nikki my be saved this week, with RJ finally being handed his walking papers.

Justin was in much better form, but still no falsetto. Why is he holding out on us? Anyway, I think he recovered nicely from last week and is back in the top 3.

Tamyra was amazing as was Kelly, although Kelly seemed a bit stiff on stage, liek she was afraid to move too much or something. I think her dress must have been uncomfortable or something.

Nikki was ok, but bland as they come. I felt bad for her having to follow Tamyra & Justin.

Christina was pretty good, but not as good as last week.

My preference this week:

Tamyra
Justin
Kelly
Christina
Nikki
RJ

Once RJ gets voted off, I won't really care who goes next.. He's the only one I would absolutely hate to see win it. I just find him to be a bland boy-band singer. And I think he's way too feminine to be a teenybopper idol. I wouldn;t mind Nikki going, either, just because I think everyone else is more talented than her.

I like the other 4 contestants alot. And I really can't wait to hear more of Justin doing his falsetto that blew me away in the first few weeks.
Old 08-06-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm right there with you, palebluedot.

I love swing/40's/big band - whatever you want to call it, and Tamyra and Kelly certainly did the genre justice. I just can't decide which of these two talented ladies I want to win - they're both fantastic. Justin has lost my interest entirely - if he refuses to perform using his falsetto, I refuse to care if he stays on the show. And you're right - if Tamyra and Kelly aren't the top two, it would be a travesty.

RJ and Nikki are, imo, both on the chopping block. I expect Nikki to be the next to go, though, simply because of the gender breakdown in the final 5. Christina is strange - sometimes her voice is nice, and sometimes it grates on me. Either way, she's not in the same league as the golden two.
Old 08-06-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
Christina is strange - sometimes her voice is nice, and sometimes it grates on me. Either way, she's not in the same league as the golden two.
Agreed...

I think she has become fixated on not over-doing the vibrato that it has become distracting to her. You can tell when she is singing that she is trying hard not to do it.

The thing about Tamyra and Kelly is they seem totally comfortable on stage and their confidence is translated into their singing. They come out and just belt it out like they have been doing it for years (1) in front of a live audience and (2) in front of millions of viewers.

I think this is what is hurting Justin. I think he became over-confident and then got knocked down a peg so he has lost some of that, and now he is trying to hard to compensate and is just coming up flat.
Old 08-07-02, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth palebluedot •<HR SIZE=1>Well if you don't like this type of music then you suck<HR SIZE=1>

Dude, I completely agree. I flipped when they announced the genre. I was hoping someone would break out with "The Lady is a Tramp" (and about 30 other songs that immediately jumped into my head), but I still enjoyed the song choices.

I don't get how they could tear into Nikki and then say Christina was great. No, I don't think Nikki was great, but I really liked the song selection for her. It was in her range, had a little flare to it, and she performed it pretty well considering. Christina didn't sell "The Glory of Love" for me at all.

Tamyra going first opened the door just a crack (she almost slammed it back shut with that scat), and Kelly came through with a big Texas boot knocking it wide open. Justin was good, but you could tell his voice just isn't there. His stage persona sold it for me, but Kelly and Tamyra have left him (and the others) behind now. He's running out of time to catch up with the leaders.

At this point, it's time to remind everyone that 1/3 of the people left are from Atlanta. That being said, this may be R.J.'s time to go. He just wasn't in good form tonight. If not him, I'd like to see Christina go. Of the three who have no prayer of winning, I find those two to be the least interesting.

Choosing between Tamyra and Kelly is going to get incredibly difficult. Kelly has the more classic sound for me, and I'd imagine the competition will push more modern in the coming weeks, giving Tamyra the edge. We'll see ...

das
Old 08-07-02, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I couldn't understand it either that Nikki got negative comments while Christina got positive ones..... I thought that Nikki's performance was much better than Christina's.

Tamyra & Kelly...... as always they showed that they were head & shoulders above the other contestants.

The next one to get booted off will be........ RJ
Old 08-07-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by palebluedot
Well if you don't like this type of music then I guess it would be a snooze-fest...but it wasn't for me. Nice to see them throwing these different genres at them and how they react and perform. I wonder what the style will be next week...Opera maybe?

Wow! I thought the very same thing. And I wasn't laughing
I look forward to 80's week. I wonder what song Justin will
choose. For his sake, I hope he picks Terrance Trent D'Arby.
He reminds me a lot of the guy. Both physically and his
voice. He could really nail that performance down. Although,
I still don't care for the guy (Justin that is).

And Jadzia, you thought Kelly looked stiff!? I thought she looked
the most natural and at ease. Hell, even she said she is not
nervous at all on stage. She looked fantastic too.
Old 08-07-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, meant to include this in my first post. WHAT was up with
Nikki's constant winking!?? She never did that before. Towards
the end, it just turned into a nervous twitch. Or looked that
way. Kind of creepy. But I agree with the people who thought
her performance was unjustly singled out for not being good
and Christina's being great. WTF?
Old 08-07-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Daytripper

And Jadzia, you thought Kelly looked stiff!? I thought she looked
the most natural and at ease. Hell, even she said she is not
nervous at all on stage. She looked fantastic too.
I don't know, something seemed odd, like she was frozen in one place or something. She didn't seem to move at all, except her arms. It just seemed a little strange. I thought her voice sounded fantastic though.

I forgot to post about the Nikki winking thing too. That was too weird! She looked like she had a weird twitch or something. I wonder if she was trying not to cry or if she had an eyelash stuck in her something. It was weird. At first I thought she was just woinking and had a weird wink, but it wasvery creepy looking.
Old 08-07-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know how I forgot to say this, but the audience was absolute SUCKEKEKEKE. Not only do they get a live band, but Tamyra walks out on stage and throws "Minnie the Moocher" in their face. And they just sat there with their thumbs up their asses! Hidee, hidee, hidee, ho, God dammit!! Kids today ... :shakes head:

das
Old 08-07-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kelly Clarkson completely owned the show last night. I could totally picture her at a USO show in WW2.

Sideshow Bob err, I mean Justin, continues to play to the crowd rather than concentrate on his singing.

RJ is completely out of his league here and will go away tonight.

Christina is gorgeous but along with Tamyra will just be another Whitney clone should either of them win.

Nikki has limited appeal but a lot of talent. I picture Courtney Love as her role model.
Old 08-07-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Nikki sticks around long enough for 80's week. I think that era could really be her element. So many artists come to mind that she could nail down. Cyndi Lauper, Siouxie Sioux, Annie Lennox. Then again, she claimed she wasn't familiar with Pat Benatar.
Old 08-07-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Needing a break from God knows how many continuous hours of work, I stumbled over to that idolonfox show. I found proof of two things: 1) stupid people really shouldn't own computers. 2) Justin will win this thing. Check out these post counts:

77771 General
34351 Judges
26200 Contestants
6740 Tamyra Gray
15136 Kelly Clarkson
39015 Justin Guarini
4841 Christina C.
9583 RJ Helton
9478 Nikki McKibbin

That's a LOT of teenage girls. And damn, they really hate Nikki over there. At least, I think they do. I had to break out my Idiot to English dictionary to understand half of the posts (there's even a guy named "Go Justin or Timira" who wants Kelly to win ).

In all seriousness, though, those numbers don't look very good for Tamyra. Gotta wonder if her near perfection each week is hurting her, since she's not really getting "better".

I need to go take a shower after visiting that strange place.

das
Old 08-07-02, 01:46 PM

Going against all logic and order, I missed it last night. *Shakes fist at new digital cable box*

Know anywhere I could pics or audio?
Old 08-07-02, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth pezboy •<HR SIZE=1>Going against all logic and order, I missed it last night. *Shakes fist at new digital cable box*

Know anywhere I could pics or audio?
<HR SIZE=1>

The episode will make it to alt.binaries.multimedia shortly. Whether it will make it before tonight, I do not know.

das
Old 08-07-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Needing a break from God knows how many continuous hours of work, I stumbled over to that idolonfox show. I found proof of two things: 1) stupid people really shouldn't own computers. 2) Justin will win this thing. Check out these post counts:

Yes, but did you look at the posts? It seems like a good chunk of the posts on Justin's board are Justin-haters trolling for fights.
Old 08-07-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>Yes, but did you look at the posts? It seems like a good chunk of the posts on Justin's board are Justin-haters trolling for fights. <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, but I can't imagine that accounts for a significant enough portion to sway the numbers that far. The Kelly trolls appear to dominate all the forums on that site.

das
Old 08-07-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jadzia

Yes, but did you look at the posts? It seems like a good chunk of the posts on Justin's board are Justin-haters....
REALLY!? Where do I sign up???
Old 08-07-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great show!! I actually voted last night! I voted for Nikki because I thought she did well and the judges gave her a bad rap. The song totally fit her and she performed it well. Plus I want to hear her sing Call Me (Blondie) or some Pat Benetar for 80's night! I also voted for Kelly. She RAWKED last night! Each week this woman amazes me more and more. And yeah I know voiting for two people isn't right but I voted more times for Kelly! ;-)

RJ blew! You could tell 3 lines before the part that he forgot that he was in trouble. He had a frantic look on his face as if he didn't know what was coming next! Oh wait... he didn't know what was coming next!

Justin was pretty good. Have you noticed how he has stopped his annoying mugging for the camera?

Tamyra was good but something about her voice is lacking to me. It doesn't have the depth and personality of Kelly's. Don't get me wrong. Girl can sing! I just like Kelly better lately.

Simon doesn't even talk about Christina's performance anymore. She was ok and I didn't feel like yelling "Bah Ram Ewe" at the screen the last couple of weeks.

All in all I think RJ is out tonight!

Sam
Old 08-07-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Nikki was in trouble when the first thing Randy had to say about her was to compiment her shoes. Yikes!

Did anyone read the EW article about American Idol? They quoted one industry person as saying Nikki was too "bottom-heavy" to be a big star. I thought that was a weird statement, not only because it's crazy, but Nikki is less chunky than Kelly. I found it odd that someone would comment on her weight but not on Kelly's.

I think Tamyra has so few posts on the message boards because what is there to say? She's flawless. There's nothing at all controversial about her. I don't think anyone hates her. But I'm not sure if she inspires the rabid fan base that will be needed to win.
Old 08-07-02, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and I forgot to post this:

Wasn't that whole Coke/trumpet thing just shameless?

UGH. It was so bad & over the top I ended up laughing at it.
Old 08-07-02, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>Did anyone read the EW article about American Idol? They quoted one industry person as saying Nikki was too "bottom-heavy" to be a big star. I thought that was a weird statement, not only because it's crazy, but Nikki is less chunky than Kelly. I found it odd that someone would comment on her weight but not on Kelly's.<HR SIZE=1>

Now that's just stupid. She's not talented enough to be the American Idol, but there's nothing wrong with her caboose or neighboring cars. Kelly's definitely carrying more weight if they want to use that as any relevant piece of information. Of course, all of that is jibber jabber. Industry people suck. I accept that someone's "look" is important in this contest, but none of them has anything wrong with his/her appearance. Talk about superficial.

das
Old 08-07-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Jadzia •<HR SIZE=1>Oh, and I forgot to post this:

Wasn't that whole Coke/trumpet thing just shameless?

UGH. It was so bad & over the top I ended up laughing at it.
<HR SIZE=1>

Damn you. Damn you to hell. My subconscious had blocked that nightmare from my memory. Note to self: forget this post.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.