Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Want Directv ? Want a TiVo ? They are available again...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Want Directv ? Want a TiVo ? They are available again...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like lots of NFL games ? Want Directv ? Want a TiVo ? They are all available again...

...if you are a new Directv customer. (Curses, old customers are foiled again)

Orbitsat has the Sony DirecTiVo SAT-T60 again for $79.95 (includes a DIY installation kit) if you get the current NFL Sunday Ticket promo (agree to subscribe to NFL ST @ $179, get 4 free months Total Choice Premier included, then take 8 more months of Total Choice or better) -

http://www.orbitsat.com/tivo/11.asp

Current subs have to shell out $330 for one However, Series II units are due out (maybe, keeps fingers crossed) next month so there may be some relief for TiVo-starved old-timers soon.

Last edited by NC-36; 08-06-02 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
I am moving to new place soon and planning on getting Direct-TV. Most outfits offer free professional installation. I don't see that with this one or am I missing something.
Old 08-07-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I am moving to new place soon and planning on getting Direct-TV. Most outfits offer free professional installation. I don't see that with this one or am I missing something.
Installation is extra, and it's not cheap.
Old 08-07-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Red Dog •<HR SIZE=1>I am moving to new place soon and planning on getting Direct-TV. Most outfits offer free professional installation. I don't see that with this one or am I missing something. <HR SIZE=1>

Honestly, unless you're a gimp or have some crazy setup, installation for the oval dish is cake. Can you read a compass? Do you have fingers? Are you blessed with the gift of sight? If so, you'll be OK. If you're going eliptical however, you may want help, but even that isn't too difficult.

In any case, DirecTV will toss a virgin employee into a volcano if it gets you on their service. I'd give them a call and try to figure something out for installation. It shouldn't be too hard to get it at $50 or maybe even free.

das
Old 08-07-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Red Dog •<HR SIZE=1>I am moving to new place soon and planning on getting Direct-TV. Most outfits offer free professional installation. I don't see that with this one or am I missing something. <HR SIZE=1>

Honestly, unless you're a gimp or have some crazy setup, installation for the oval dish is cake. Can you read a compass? Do you have fingers? Are you blessed with the gift of sight? If so, you'll be OK. If you're going eliptical however, you may want help, but even that isn't too difficult.

If I owned my place, I would do it myself. However, this will be an apt so I'd rather leave it to a professional.
Old 08-07-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
If I owned my place, I would do it myself. However, this will be an apt so I'd rather leave it to a professional.
Apartments are actually easier. Where are you installing the dish, probably on the patio/balcony? I have installed two dishes (one DirecTV, one Dish Network) on my balcony and it was simple. I bought a $3 piece of board and a cinder block from home depot, screwed the dish to the board, placed the cinder block on the exposed part of the board, and just repositioned it until I found the satellite. Most people use the old "pole in a bucket of concrete" method, which is just as easy, maybe more so (but you have to wait for the cement to dry). Anyway, pointing the dish is simple when it's right in front of you (versus up on the roof or wall).
Old 08-07-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For my first oval, I just bought a $15 tripod, and stuck it on that. It took 5 minutes. When I moved up to the more top-heavy eliptical, I attached it to the balcony. To avoid drilling, I bought a 2x8, cut it into two lengths, stacked them to make a staggered 4x8, drilled the sat into that and then clamped it onto the balcony with C-clamps. Took 6 minutes.

But if you feel better with the professional install, it really shouldn't be that expensive.

das
Old 08-07-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

For my first oval, I just bought a $15 tripod, and stuck it on that. It took 5 minutes. When I moved up to the more top-heavy eliptical, I attached it to the balcony. To avoid drilling, I bought a 2x8, cut it into two lengths, stacked them to make a staggered 4x8, drilled the sat into that and then clamped it onto the balcony with C-clamps. Took 6 minutes.

But if you feel better with the professional install, it really shouldn't be that expensive.

das

Yeah I'm pretty lazy. Plus I hate going to hardware stores, especially Home Depots. That is one area of male machismo that I could never get into.
Old 08-07-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Red Dog •<HR SIZE=1>Yeah I'm pretty lazy. Plus I hate going to hardware stores, especially Home Depots. That is one area of male machismo that I could never get into. <HR SIZE=1>

It's not like you're rebuilding a carburetor . But, yeah, $50 is nothing to pay for peace of mind. Plus you'll have someone to blame if something goes wrong ... always a plus. Speaking of blame, I now blame you for the falling prices of my Home Depot stock.

das
Old 08-07-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

• Quoth Red Dog •<HR SIZE=1>Yeah I'm pretty lazy. Plus I hate going to hardware stores, especially Home Depots. That is one area of male machismo that I could never get into. <HR SIZE=1>

It's not like you're rebuilding a carburetor . But, yeah, $50 is nothing to pay for peace of mind. Plus you'll have someone to blame if something goes wrong ... always a plus. Speaking of blame, I now blame you for the falling prices of my Home Depot stock.

das

Just put down a deposit on my new apt. It is going to be a close-call on the dish. The direction my balcony faces is good to go (basically I have everything covered from west to south), but there is a pine tree that could be a problem (it tops out a little higher than my balcony railing). I'll probably just go local (Circuit City or Best Buy [shudder]) so it is easy to return just in case it doesn't fly. I'm keeping my fingers crossed....I must have my NFL Sunday Ticket.
Old 08-08-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This just in -

Directv will soon cut the price of the monthly TiVo sub from $9.95 to $4.99 on DirecTiVo units with Total Choice or better And if you have Total Choice Premier, you get TiVo service

(drumroll)

->->-> FREE <-<-<-

The Series II DirecTiVo units will be out soon and have an MSRP of $199 ! Yes, existing subs will be able to get one (or more) at this price or less !!

The Series II's have the same features as Series I - 40 gig/ 35 hr capacity, dual tuners, DD. They have also added USB 2.0 ports "for future use".

No release or price change dates were given out for any of these, but think sooner rather than later

For the full story, click these links -

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=71069

http://www.tvinsite.com/multichannel...y=breakingNews

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020808/dcth009_1.html

You're welcome
Old 08-08-02, 10:52 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Seriously that is the magic price point people look for 199 is a steal for the series 2, although I was hoping for more hard drive space.

My directivo rocks like you would not believe, it's the best thing ever.. my favourite toy and it is amazing.....

I have been tempted to upgrade in the past.

and with the free sub, for TC Premier I am in heaven ,and also happy I never got the lifetime Subscription