Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Trading Spaces Fans: Crying epsiode today

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
This is one aspect of Trading Spaces that really really bugs me (my wife watches it all the time but I usually avoid it now). Sure, I agree that if the family doesn't want a room changed perhaps they should have picked a different one. However, if they state ONE thing they want left alone, there are so many ways that a truly clever interior designer could create their own vision while showing respect to the family's wishes. It's not just the fireplace couple either. I've seen a lady ask for any color on her walls except one particular color so OF COURSE that's the color the interior decorator chooses.

It just seems that the decorator's do this out of spite after all, a negative reaction generates more viewers than a positive one;/

Michael
Old 08-04-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the show designers get some high on painting brick fireplaces, they always try to do that, i don't know how easy, if its even possable, it is to take paint off of brick

if i was ever on that show i would say, you paint any brick you die, you paint any unpainted wood you die.
Old 08-04-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if i was ever on that show i would say, you paint any brick you die, you paint any unpainted wood you die.
Then hopefully you would have the good sense to not go on the show.
Old 08-04-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by kilcher

Then hopefully you would have the good sense to not go on the show.
. . . Or pick a room that has no wood or brick in it.

The only real objection I would have is having the walls painted pink or yellow. I hate both colors and think any variation of either color for interior decorating is simply attrocious. Of course, I would not mention that to the "designers*" they have on that show, because those would be the colors they'd work with.

The problem with Trading Spaces is the "designers" don't really take into account what the people are suggesting for the room. They just pull some random colors and designs out of their arses and go with that.

At least with the British version (Changing Rooms), the designers incorporate the ideas of the people they are working with.

* I use quotes around the word because I don't think the people on Trading Spaces are real designers. They pick some of the most gawdawful colors and design schemes I've ever had the misfortune to lay eyes on, and I'd have to kill every last one of them if they designed a room in my house. Especially the lady who put straw all over the livingroom walls in one episode. God, that was attrocious.
Old 08-04-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mllefoo

* Especially the lady who put straw all over the livingroom walls in one episode. God, that was attrocious.
hey, that episode was on yesterday. You didnt like it? It looked neat.
Old 08-05-02, 10:08 AM

I agree with the straw room being horrible. What was the designer thinking? Imagine coming home to that! Yikes!
Old 08-05-02, 10:28 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hahaha.. I saw that episode.. I can't believe she put straw on the walls.

the people told her that it might not be a good ideas because the couple has little kids and may pick off the straw.

What does the designer do? She says "well then the kids will have to be told not to pick the straw off the walls."

And I agree.. if you are that worried about something being done that you might not like, then you shouldnt sign up for the show at all.
Old 08-05-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
The straw room was awfull. the pink ceiling was terrible.
Old 08-05-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The woman who did the straw room is a freaking idiot. No way in hell would she ever touch my place.