Old 07-16-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Idol-7/16

Anyone watching?
Old 07-16-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would hope that jim and aj are voted off on tomorrow's episode, but i really did not enjoy ryan or nikki's performance either, but jim should be the first off. and what is all that hype of the justin kid? i think his voice was pretty average, all he knew how to do was work the crowd which no one else seemed to be doing...
Old 07-16-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

As much as you love to hate Simon...I agreed with him when he was critical of a performance. There were very average performances.

This show is getting hard watch because all of the comercial breaks...sheesh.

The top three:

Tamyra - They should just stop this thing now and give it to TAMYRA!! She is the best IMO...she has the look, the personality and above all else the VOICE. The only thing she is missing is real sex appeal...which to ME is appealing. She is the girl next door.

Justin - This is tough because he was just awesome...I am biased to Tamyra only because I prefer the female voice. I definitely think he has a future. Justin may edge out Tamyra because he has more sex appeal and since it's probably mostly teenage girls watching this show...he is going to be favored.

Kelly - Awesome performance and also deserves to move on over the rest.

The rest:

Ejay - I can't stand his voice and his performance was terrible. All those unnecessary crescendoes were just crap. Ruined one of my favorite songs.

A. J. - Boring

Jim - Boring

Nikki - Totally ruined her look and chose the absolutely wrong song.

Ryan - Boring and was flat on a LOT of notes.

R. J. - Awful choice of song...and just didn't come with it.

Christina - I did not agree at all with the judges...I thought she had a lack-luster performance...plus I hate that song.

Personally they could have gotten rid of five performers instead of two. I guess they want to see how some recover from poor performances (oh yeah and drag the show out longer than it needs to be).

Last edited by palebluedot; 07-16-02 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-16-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
did any of them bomb on stage?
Old 07-16-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think simon is right on 99% of the time - and I LOVE how he says it like he sees it, not overly PC all the time!

And... RJ is horrible! If he wins I am going with Alec Baldwin to Canada
Old 07-16-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I cant believe that Paula cant hear when they are SO bad! they are 3 keys away from the tune of the song and my ears a hurting..

Then she goes "Awwweeesome .. One billion percent.."

Opposites must attract.
Old 07-16-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We about busted a gut when Jim performed and Randy said "Man.......that was terrible!"

Poor Jim. He has a voice only a deaf mother could love. And to follow Justin, he didn't have a chance. He really gave a lackluster performance, was he trying to do an impersonation of a microphone stand? It's almost as if he's already told himself he doesn't belong up there.

I love Justin (sigh...) and Tamyra, with Ryan being the dark horse for me. I really can't stand Jim and AJ. I thought Nikki, RJ, Ejay, and Christina were all pretty bland. (I had liked Christina before, but she didn't sound good last night--I wonder if it's the illness.)

Kelly is an odd one to figure out. She has a great personality, and a great voice, but I don't she think she has the right look to be the American Idol. She is pretty plain. Cute, but plain.
Old 07-16-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I LOVE Tamyra and Justin. I sincerely wish there could be both a male and a female winner. There's just no beating those two.

As runner ups, I really like Ryan, Kelli, and to a lesser extent Christina. Seems that my initial assessments of how I felt about all of the singers is just confirmed each time I see them perform.

Honestly I hope that all five of the performers I mentioned go on to very successful careers - they deserve it.

As to the rest - I don't care at all for the style of singing or for the style of performing. Though I think Nikki suffered because Motown is just the wrong type of music for her - I hope she at least makes the next cut so we can see how she does with a better genre. I won't go so far as to say the rest have "no" talent - but very little in comparison to the other five (plus Nikki). There better not be sympathy winners this time around that bump out any more talented people.
Old 07-17-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First off:

I don't know why Paula (a two faced bitch...who's career was over years ago.)
and Randy (who? exactly!) are always bagging on Simon.

I bet if those two were record executives, who were going to sign the "american idol" to their record label, as Simon is, and could possibly lose millions of dollars, they wouldn't be too cute or agreeable with all of those bad performances.

My take:

Justin - He is good, but not so good last night.

Tamyra - why haven't they stopped and crowned her?

Christina - She is also good...but not last night.

Ryan - (I am going to do an 'EJay') "Oh. Ma. God! She. Is. So. Awesome. ", but she is no Tamyra. She is sexy as hell though.

EJay - He's no Motown..trust me. He better be kissing Simon's ass! It is his record label. God...he scares me.

Nikki - As said above she is no Motown, and who cares about her style? Hello. I bet if she wins, she won't have that style for long...

Kelly - See Ryan.

A.J. - Why is he in this thing, again?

Jim - See A.J. above.
Note: He ruined my favorite Motown song. (Easy)

RJ - Wild card. All I got's to say. I calls 'em like I sees 'em: Meaning he was not good.
Old 07-17-02, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by palebluedot
Tamyra - They should just stop this thing now and give it to TAMYRA!! She is the best IMO...she has the look, the personality and above all else the VOICE. The only thing she is missing is real sex appeal...which to ME is appealing. She is the girl next door.

Justin - This is tough because he was just awesome...I am biased to Tamyra only because I prefer the female voice. I definitely think he has a future. Justin may edge out Tamyra because he has more sex appeal and since it's probably mostly teenage girls watching this show...he is going to be favored.

Kelly - Awesome performance and also deserves to move on over the rest.
First, ATL representin' - 3 still left.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm a day late, and you steal my comments about Tamyra. What the hell are they screwing around for? No one's even close. Stop the insanity!!!

That being said I absolutely love Justin and Kelly. They will both go very far in their musical careers. Were it not for Tamyra shining brighter than Paul Shaffer's forehead, they'd be atop the list. Even so, they're still performing wonderfully.

Nikki ... *sniffle* ... painful. I hope she stumbles into the next round and can redeem herself.

Jim ... see, American ... this is why you don't patronize people. Poor kid just made an ass out of himself. Tone deaf pasty white kids in stupid sleeveless outfits singing Motown? We'll see this poor kid in the Enquirer a few years from now. He'll be 350 pounds and suing Fox for "undisclosed damages."

Christina. I'll disagree with you on her. I don't think she was in the same class with the others, but I was surprised. She pretty much stumbled through this far by being in that weak-ass 3rd group, but she was much better this time. Certainly not in the top 3, but a hell of a lot better than some of those jokers.

I guess it comes down to this for me. Justin, I would say 'hey' to you on the street. Kelly, I'd stalk you until you went out with me. Tamyra, I'd buy your album.

das
Old 07-18-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So happy that Jim got cut. Now, if they can only get rid of AJ.

I felt bad for Nikki, the way they made the announcement, she now knows she's the botoom vote-getter of the 8. That has to suck, but it is probably because that Motown categaory was not for her.

Did anyone else notice Nikki & Justin seemed a bit "friendly"? They sat close together, and exchanged looks. She also got a shocked look on her face when one of the tools (er, hosts) made a joke about "Who slept together last night?"

Hmmmm....