Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Warning about Spoilers in Buffy Season 2 DVD's

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waning about Spoliers in Buffy Season 2 DVD's

Maybe this has already been said, but with people discovering Buffy via DVD, it may bear repeating.

I was watching season 2 episodes "What's My line?" parts one and two with the writers commentaries on -

She gives away 2 character deaths that haven't even occured yet!!!!!

So...I f you haven't seen all the eps. and want to be surprised - avoid the directors/writers commentaries!
Old 07-15-02, 12:44 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think, unfortunetly, that most tv shows released in boxsets that have been airing for a while, take for granted they are obtaining new viewers.

They think that most, if not all, people buying the tv show are fans and have seen it from the beginning.

Now.. bring on Alias boxset. I have seen the first episode, got so far behind, I have them all taped, just haven't had the time to watch them yet. Esp. with a move into a new house.
Old 07-15-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Spoiler warning for a season 2 of a series that is in it's 7th season? thats like a warning label for the death of JFK
Old 07-15-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Spoiler warning for a season 2 of a series that is in it's 7th season? thats like a warning label for the death of JFK
In all fairness, a lot of folks -- myself included -- are probably watching Buffy on DVD for the first time. New episodes of it currently air on networks that not everyone gets, and the older eps in syndication air on another network that not everyone receives as well. I'd say that a good chunk of the people who are getting the DVD sets are new to series, and tempted by both the show's reputation and the attractive prices of the sets.

FTR, I don't mind spoilers too much. I'll actually go out and seek out things that will happen next.
Old 07-15-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you Dougie. I made a big mistake by watching an interview with Joss Wheaton (?) before I watched the epiosode where
Spoiler:
Angle kills Jenny Calendar
. I'm going to be much more careful in the future.
Old 07-15-02, 04:35 PM

Actually, I think it is a valid point, the only reason I posted it was because Ive been reading posts by Gator Deb and others who are watching for the first time - then it struck me that maybe someone should say something!

but...your comment was funny!
Old 07-15-02, 05:00 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Maybe those are the same kinds of people that were shocked when, in the middle of the movie Titanic, the boat sunk.

hehe..
I actually heard someone say almost those exact words. They were so surprised the boat sank.
Old 07-15-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Vryce

Maybe those are the same kinds of people that were shocked when, in the middle of the movie Titanic, the boat sunk.

hehe..
I actually heard someone say almost those exact words. They were so surprised the boat sank.
There are many people out there who are getting their first exposure to Buffy with these DVD's. Me included. I live in an area that does not offer WB or UPN, so I've never been able to see it before now, except for the very occasional episode at a friend's house. This is the first time I've had access to them, just like many, many other people. Comparing us to the history-illiterate is a bit unfair.
Old 07-15-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
same thing with all those hbo shows. many dont wanna pay top dollar for premnium cable.
Old 07-15-02, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
this conversation seemed to have happened before..

and from what I remember, it was deemed that buffy on dvd really doesn't need spoiler tags..

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=buffy

to quote static cling on this..
This show has been out for years, and every episode has been aired. When you're talking about seasons 1-7 (7's the most recent season, right?), there are no spoilers, as far as I'm concerned... just episodes and plot points that certain people haven't seen. What you might consider a spoiler is past history for someone who's been watching Buffy for a while... and what someone who picks up Buffy the next time the reruns cycle back to the first episode might consider a spoiler would be past history for you.

I'm going to close this thread, because I just don't see enough reason to have a thread just for people who recently picked up Buffy and are at the same point in the show's progression as you are.
Old 07-15-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I can understand why it'd be like that for something like Friends, which was only on NBC, but I must say I disagree with the mod's decision, if only because of the station it was originally aired on.

But whatever, I guess I'll just come back and look at these threads in 5 years when the whole series is out on DVD.
Old 07-16-02, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

a lot of different stations air the repeats. I know fox airs them in los angeles every sunday night at like 12 or so. they are out there regardless that they aired on wb then upn. the syndication rights are all over the place.

but after some time, you have to ask yourself.. are spoiler tags still needed for a entertainment item thats been aired plenty of times?
Old 07-16-02, 06:54 AM

I wasn't talking about spoiler tags - I was just mentioning that, if you are one of the people watching Buffy for the first time (if you aren't, then why must you post your opinion?) then, as a friendly warning, you may not want to watch the "writer's commentary" - because it will ruin some future episodes for you by telling you the outcome. Why must this turn into such an academic discussion??? Wait...don't answer that!!!!! If you are a BUffy fan from day one...move on...this thread is not for you!!!
Old 07-16-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug....wherever you go, controversy seems to follow!