Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Osbournes" to run uncensored in Canada.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-02, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cut & paste from the net:

Wednesday, July 10, 2002 TORONTO (CP) - The Osbournes will run uncensored on CTV on Tuesdays at 10 p.m., starting Sept. 17, the network has announced.

The reality show, which follows the antics of rocker Ozzy Osbourne, his manager wife Sharon and teenagers Kelly and Jack, has been a hit in the United States and on MTV Canada. It has been running with "bleeps" to cover up foul language on MTV Canada, but Susanne Boyce, CTV president of programming, said all 10 episodes of Season 1 will run uncensored this fall. "Some viewers will be surprised by how the Osbournes talk to each other, but coarse language is part of their world," she said in a statement Wednesday.

"It's used as they really use it. The heart of The Osbournes is their honesty. Their fights, their love for each other - and their language - is real."

The network said strongly worded advisories about the content will appear throughout each show, and in all print and on-air advertising.

Wayne Sterloff, vice-president MTV Canada, has said his audience demographic for the show is in the 12-17 range, and "we'd never run it without (bleeps)" to cover the family's profanity.

Although, he added, one would have to be "brain dead" not to figure out what is being said.

The series, launched in March in the United States, is also seen in Australia, Brazil, Europe, Germany, Latin America, Netherlands, Nordic, Philippines, Poland and Russia.

Meanwhile, Sharon Osbourne, 50, has just had surgery for colon cancer at a Los Angeles-area hospital.

Family spokeswoman Lisa Vega said Tuesday that Osborne was "in good spirits and doing well," and added that the disease was in its early stages and doctors expect a full recovery.

Ozzy Osbourne postponed two performances to be with her, but planned to resume his Ozzfest 2002 tour Wednesday night in Scranton, Pa., Vega said.

© Copyright 2002 The Canadian Press
Old 07-10-02, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I WANNA SEE SOME NETWORK DO THIS IN THE USA.
Old 07-10-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
No way, puritanism still rules.
Old 07-10-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn!
Old 07-10-02, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
They had to do this because Canadians couldn't figure out what the cast was saying under the bleeps
Old 07-10-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I think the show would be funnier with the words bleeped.
Old 07-10-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
actually I think you're right.

i.e. Howard Stern is funnier when you hear him geeting mad trying to figure out another way to say "Blowjob" on air without upsetting the FCC.
Old 07-10-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How come Canada doesn't let Howard on the air or censor the ever living hell out of it? Hypocrites.
Old 07-10-02, 08:22 PM

Actually its running uncensored as well on Channel 10 here in Australia
Old 07-10-02, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by nevermind
How come Canada doesn't let Howard on the air or censor the ever living hell out of it? Hypocrites.
Because our government says he promotes hatred or some other nonsense, plus French Canadians don't think too highly of him for being satirized a number of times. I personally think Celine Dion promotes hatred, hatred of music appreciaters.

Our censorship in Canada comes from the left, not the right. Much different than in the States but just as troubling.
Old 07-10-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I get CTV, should I bother watching for the swearing?
swearing is always funny on tv. some canadian station I get showed Showgirls uncut about a year ago at like 1 or 2AM
Old 07-10-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
I've seen Stern uncensored on Candian tv. saw nipples and everything on his stripper guests. that was about 3 years ago though. and stern is on a canadian radio station, or at least he was, 107.1 (I think it's a toronto station)
Old 07-11-02, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stern gets trouble because he does things to purposly cause offense. For example, when he first aired in Canadam he started insulting Canadians, the Canadian flag... ect. That is why he's censored.

Canada is very free, but only if it's not negative freedom (promoting hate, trying to cause contraversy for the sake of it.. ect.) So that's why KKK booklets would be seized at the border, Neo Nazi movies would be seized too.

Personally, I think if Stern wants to say those things, he may, it's his right. But lots of stations refuse to because of it.

The Osbourns on the other hand, is just swearing, it's not a big deal. It's a show aimed at people in their late teens and early adulthood. People who know what swearing is. So removing it is pointless. Why remove something to protect kids who shouldn't even be watching the show? If the kids are watching the show, they have bigger problems then a bit of swearing. Sorry. Honestly, you can tell what the hell they're saying, so why cover it up? pointless.

Personally, I'd rather have things that delibertly offend censored, then puritan censorship.

Though I'd rather have neither.
Old 07-12-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a radio dj said that the little warning lables at the begining of each episode warning about the language, is basicly saying come on in and watch this.
Old 07-12-02, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
remember the South Park "****" episode?

--kev
Old 07-12-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've seen it on MTV in Germany un-censored, but I am glad I will get to see it here soon uncensored too.

On another note, I'd like a DVD of it where you could choose audio censored or not. That might be fun.
Old 07-12-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh-da-man

-k
###
Old 09-17-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what's the appeal of this show? I just watched it since it was uncut, but it wasn't all that great imo
Old 09-18-02, 02:02 PM

I think it is funnier with the bleeps(saw it on by buddy's satellite).
I only saw 2 ep. on his satellite which goes down alot. At least now i can watch the entire season in order. Overall i thought it was still funny, especially when Ozzy can't work the satellite/TV.