Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monk: The Obsessive Complusive Detective

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-02, 09:20 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monk: The Obsessive Complusive Detective

Interesting concept for a dectective show. The pilot airs this Friday at 9 p.m. est and on Sat. at 7 p.m. est on the USA Network. Here is the overview:

Adrian Monk (Tony Shalhoub) was once a rising star with the San Francisco Police Department, legendary for using unconventional means to solve the department's most baffling cases. But after the tragic (and still unsolved) murder of his wife, the devastated Monk became obsessive-compulsive. His psychological disorder has caused him to develop an abnormal fear of virtually everything: germs, heights, crowds... even milk. His condition eventually cost him his job, and continues to pose unique challenges in his daily life.

Monk's personal nurse, Sharona Fleming (Bitty Schram) is there to help Monk make it through the day, offering her assistance when even the simplest of tasks - like organizing his sock drawer - become an angst-ridden ordeal for Monk. Along the way, she also becomes Monk's own "Girl Friday," an unlikely Dr. Watson to his Sherlock Holmes.

Now working as a private consultant, Monk continues to investigate cases in the most unconventional ways. Although Monk is no longer a member of the police force, his former boss, Captain Leland Stottlemeyer (Ted Levine) still often calls upon him to provide unique insights into cases that have the cops stumped. Stottlemeyer himself is a highly decorated detective, but he knows he will never be as good as the illustrious Monk... and it drives him crazy.

Monk is a detective afraid of the dark, a gumshoe afraid of gum. He has no problem cracking a case - as long as it doesn't involve heights or germs, and is in close proximity to his apartment. He'd like nothing more than to gain back his position on the San Francisco police force, but can he pull himself together and get back to solving crimes full time?

Monk's two-hour pilot was penned by Andy Breckman (Saturday Night Live, Late Night with David Letterman, TV Funhouse). Breckman also serves as Executive Producer along with David Hoberman (Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Father of the Bride, George of the Jungle) and Rob Thompson (Northern Exposure). David Stern (The Simpsons, The Wonder Years) serves as Co-Executive Producer.
The teaser trailer plays up a lighthearted nature to the show. I'd hope they take themselves seriously and not end up with loads of gags at the expense of the disorder. I will be tuning in for it this weekend.

Here is the main page for it:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/index.html
Old 07-08-02, 09:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So it's supposed to be a dramedy? Like, a show that's funny without a laugh track, but also with serious moments?

This reminded me of Zero Effect after reading a few lines of it... speaking of, what the heck happened to that movie-supposedly-turned-TV-show?

I'm happy with any project that gets Tony Shalhoub on the air again.
Old 07-08-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Static Cling
This reminded me of Zero Effect after reading a few lines of it... speaking of, what the heck happened to that movie-supposedly-turned-TV-show?
Last I heard they filmed the pilot but failed to get a network pick-up.

My first thought was Zero Effect as well, which isn't a bad way to go. Plus Tony Shaloub in the right role is damn hilarious, so I'll be watching.
Old 07-09-02, 09:16 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Static Cling

I'm happy with any project that gets Tony Shalhoub on the air again.
I agree. It will be nice to see him taking a break from his movie roles and get back on the tube.
Old 07-09-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His line from Galaxy Quest is priceless, when he turns to "Guy" and says, "You ever think you just might be the plucky comic relief?" Perfect deadpan delivery. The guy's so talented, I can't wait to see him back on the air in any capacity. Friday night's are starting to get pretty congested now.

das
Old 07-09-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't wait for this show. Tony Shalhoub rules!
Old 07-09-02, 10:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm going to watch it, although as others have pointed out, Monk isn't "the world's first obsessive-compulsive detective."

Probably my favorite Shalhoub role is still as the cab driver in Quick Change.
Old 07-09-02, 03:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by clemente

Last I heard they filmed the pilot but failed to get a network pick-up.
Aw. I thought the movie was great, and was hoping it'd translate to TV well. Guess not. Oh well, The Monk looks good!
Old 07-12-02, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't forget ...

das
Old 07-12-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Strong Variety review for the 2-hour opener...

Shalhoub in Arresting Turn as USA's 'Monk'
Old 07-12-02, 12:39 PM

I'm looking forward to the pilot. I'm just bummed I'll have to watch it taped on my bad VCR since it the kid's bed time....

Plus, he has a great first name.
Old 07-12-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
It looks interesting but not i dont think i'll be watching it, (no time)
Old 07-12-02, 11:02 PM
Registered

Just caught the Pilot. Really liked it Shalhoub is just a fantastic actor and makes this one of the more enjoyable things on this summer
Old 07-13-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I liked it a lot. Shalhoub is perfect in the role and Bitty Schram is also very good as his nurse/assistant. A very interesting relationship they have. Also, Buffalo Bill from SOTL is the police captain they deal with.

Honk!
Old 07-13-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My wife and I were LOL at a quite a few points in the pilot. Very funny, well thought out, and some nice acting by everyone in the show. I'll be watching this every week (as long the dialog is as well written as it was in the pilot)
Old 07-16-02, 12:39 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

for ol' Tony. I'm glad he's finally getting his own show.

Loved the pilot, I was all night. ("Where you counting parking meters again?")

-BT
Old 07-20-02, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the movie i'm just wrapping up work on (Bringing Down the House) is being produced by the same... um... producer... person.. as Monk.

not that you needed to know that..

or that there is anything more to add...

love the show though. the new episode last night was quite funny as well!
-di doctor-
Old 07-22-02, 09:15 AM

My fiancee and I caught the 2 hour pilot the other day, and Monk was pretty good. I have to say though that it's making me kinda OCD because I find myself watching Tony's performance very closely for quirks that his character has, because the behavior fascinates me.

Anyway, the script was pretty clever: when he crashed the date Sherona was on and he tripped up the the guy by pointing out teh difference between libel and slander. And also at the very end when Monk misses touching a pole, and I thought it was a goof on the show but Sherona reminds him that he missed it, and he goes running back to touch it.
Old 07-22-02, 09:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Good show...much better than USA's other new show The Dead Zone.

A question for the legal experts: so far two episodes involve Monk and company, lacking any material evidence, staging a situation that tricks the culprit into admitting their guilt. This sure makes for good television, but is admissable in court?

I would also like to add that this is the most skeptic-friendly program since Scooby Doo!
Old 07-22-02, 09:50 AM

I caught most of the pilot in rerun yesterday, and I'm hooked.
Old 07-22-02, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Morf
I caught most of the pilot in rerun yesterday, and I'm hooked.
The second episode is being rerun several times this week if you want to catch it.

Mon- Midnight Eastern/ 11:00PM Central
Tue- 7:00PM E /6:00PM C
Thu- 6:00PM E /5:00PM C
Thu- Midnight E /11:00PM C

I missed it last Friday so I'm catching one of these viewing times for sure.
Old 07-22-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too am a fan of Tony Shaloub and enjoyed the pilot very much I just hope also that it doesn't become too comedy, and not enough drama. Am tivoing ep 2 tonight. Thanks again USA for bringing us Monk, and the Law and Orders (there production studio brought the law and order spinoffs which I love).
Old 07-22-02, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
The second episode is being rerun several times this week if you want to catch it.
Thanks! I'll make sure to tape it.

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
I just hope also that it doesn't become too comedy, and not enough drama.
I don't think we'll have to worry. Judging by what I've seen, I don't think they'll get to the point where they are poking fun of a serious mental disorder just for some cheap laughs. At least, I hope not.